Pod Your Reef

Kimber's Small-ish Pieced Together Tank

kimberbee

So... I got jealous of everyone's Mini Complete Tanks...

Nick was totally going to buy me one for Christmas, but I decided that I should stick with equipment I already have, cause I sure have plenty to use!!

Tank: Aqueon 2.5 gallon

Filtration: AquaClear 20

Heater: 25w Archaea Mini Heater

Light: . . .

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

20181221_174104.jpg

20181223_163318.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1

Woohoo!!! If you're taking suggestions, I recommend the 25w Archea heater from Aqua Forest Aquarium (out of stock at the moment though) and I would try the Hipergaro light,  I have the Lumini Asta on my pico and it's ok but I don't love it. Or a PAR bulb but I couldn't find one that I loved both spectrum and coral color. I have thought about getting the Hipergaro light for my own pico lol. 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Woohoo!!! If you're taking suggestions, I recommend the 25w Archea heater from Aqua Forest Aquarium (out of stock at the moment though)

Yes!! That's the heater I have from the pico contest. I had just forgotten what it was!! 

1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

I recommend the Radion for the light.  

If only I just had one of those just laying around... I'll be using a par bulb I have from the pico contest 😄

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

So... I got jealous of everyone's Mini Complete Tanks...

Nick was totally going to buy me one for Christmas, but I decided that I should stick with equipment I already have, cause I sure have plenty to use!!

Tank: Aqueon 2.5 gallon

Filtration: AquaClear 20

Heater: . . .

Light: . . .

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

20181221_174104.jpg

20181223_163318.jpg

Baby tank! Yay! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I was picking out possible tanks, I had to consider what equipment I had stashed away as well as where the tank would be set up. We have a raised countertop in our kitchen, on one side is the kitchen sink, and the other side is where we put our kitchen table. The counter is just 8 inches wide - perfect for a standard 2.5 gallon!!

There was an unused outlet under the sink, so Nick cut a hole in the opposite side of the wall (under our table) to give me the power I needed to get the tank up and running for a leak test!

20181222_101421.jpg

20181226_220142.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

As I was picking out possible tanks, I had to consider what equipment I had stashed away as well as where the tank would be set up. We have a raised countertop in our kitchen, on one side is the kitchen sink, and the other side is where we put our kitchen table. The counter is just 8 inches wide - perfect for a standard 2.5 gallon!!

There was an unused outlet under the sink, so Nick cut a hole in the opposite side of the wall (under our table) to give me the power I needed to get the tank up and running for a leak test!

20181222_101421.jpg

20181226_220142.jpg

That will be awesome sitting there!

• Thanks 1

Worked on the tank a bit tonight:

Drained the water. Leak test passed so I'll just add saltwater when I'm ready.

Added an eggcrate top. Temporary for now, since it doesn't look the best. It's really just mynway of keeping toasty out until I can come up with a more permanent solution. 

Added a leveling mat to the bottom of the tank. The stand of the light is smaller than the footprint of the tank, so when the tank sits on it, the tank goes a little wonky. I'm not that happy with how it looks, but I'm not sure what else I can do. 

Another problem is that the counter top is very slick, so the tank and light slide easily with minimal force. Not yet sure if that will be less of a problem with sand and rock added, but I could still slide things around with the tank full of water. 

Lastly... I'm still debating on what I want to stock this tank with. Ideas and suggestions welcome!!

20190108_191011.jpg

• Like 5

Maybe GBG, they are pretty cute!!

I have a pom pom crab in my 10, and used to have a spotted anemone shrimp (which I hope to replace). I'd like to try something different in this tank. 

I am toying with the idea of mini maxi nems and sexy shrimp. 

If the tank was bigger I'd probably go for a mantis shrimp. 

Trying to think of something I've never done before, but am confident I can handle... 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Maybe GBG, they are pretty cute!!

I have a pom pom crab in my 10, and used to have a spotted anemone shrimp (which I hope to replace). I'd like to try something different in this tank. 

I am toying with the idea of mini maxi nems and sexy shrimp. 

If the tank was bigger I'd probably go for a mantis shrimp. 

Trying to think of something I've never done before, but am confident I can handle... 

So I had trouble getting squat lobsters to survive shipping for me, but they are neat inverts and tiny and might be good for this tank.  Maybe a porcelain crab?  Sexies and mini maxi nems would be cool though, and no worries if they get nibbly!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 5:18 PM, kimberbee said:

Worked on the tank a bit tonight:

Drained the water. Leak test passed so I'll just add saltwater when I'm ready.

Added an eggcrate top. Temporary for now, since it doesn't look the best. It's really just mynway of keeping toasty out until I can come up with a more permanent solution. 

Added a leveling mat to the bottom of the tank. The stand of the light is smaller than the footprint of the tank, so when the tank sits on it, the tank goes a little wonky. I'm not that happy with how it looks, but I'm not sure what else I can do. 

Another problem is that the counter top is very slick, so the tank and light slide easily with minimal force. Not yet sure if that will be less of a problem with sand and rock added, but I could still slide things around with the tank full of water. 

Lastly... I'm still debating on what I want to stock this tank with. Ideas and suggestions welcome!!

20190108_191011.jpg

They some kind of grippy rubber dot mat things that will not allow the tank to slide ... comes in rolls of various colors.

Go with super bright stuff .... maxi minis or RFA's... neon green nepthia....

• Like 3
On 1/27/2019 at 11:50 PM, spectra said:

This seems a little small for liam to fit into,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I thought babies are like fish - they only grow big enough for the tank you put them in... 

On 1/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, jack1978 said:

Go with super bright stuff .... maxi minis or RFA's... neon green nepthia....

I think I'm going to do one or two maxi minis and a bunch of sexy shrimp!

On 1/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, TatorTaco said:

Anything new with this tank yet? 

Oops... Nope. But I'll be working on that this weekend.

It's been tough trying to get time set aside to work on the tanks. While Liam is a pretty well behaved baby, he no longer takes long naps like he did when he was a newborn. He's on a semi-predictable schedule, bit I need bigger chunks of time to feel like I can get anything done! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I thought babies are like fish - they only grow big enough for the tank you put them in... 

I think I'm going to do one or two maxi minis and a bunch of sexy shrimp!

Oops... Nope. But I'll be working on that this weekend.

It's been tough trying to get time set aside to work on the tanks. While Liam is a pretty well behaved baby, he no longer takes long naps like he did when he was a newborn. He's on a semi-predictable schedule, bit I need bigger chunks of time to feel like I can get anything done! 

Just a heads up ...... once the kids fool you into thinking they're on a set routine, they change it just to F with your sanity.  

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Just a heads up ...... once the kids fool you into thinking they're on a set routine, they change it just to F with your sanity.  

That, or grandma fcks with his schedule and then he stops sleeping through the night...

• Haha 2