SaltCritters.com

Anemone Crab Lost Both Claws

JLynn

My poor little anemone crab has had both of his claw arms torn off by bristle worms (I thought they'd eaten him, at first, but I just found him, armless, on the sand this morning). I've gotten him into a little acclimation box where he should be safe (bristleworms can't climb up plain glass, can they?), and I can make sure he gets food. But does anybody know if he can regrow those claws? He's a crab, not a starfish, but invertebrates seem to be better at limb regeneration than mammals... And if he can't regrow those claws, would it be kinder for me to just euthanize him? He can't defend himself without them, and I have in the past seen a nassarius snail attack an anemone crab of mine to steal some meat I gave it.

A bristle worm didn’t do that to your crab. They can’t. More than likely, it lost them during a molt, or some other factor. It can regenerate lost limbs. Is there anything in the tank the crab needs to defend itself from? If not, I’d release it back into the tank. Also, the snail didn’t attact the crab. It was just trying to get a meal. 

This crab hasn't molted yet. One day I saw one limb on the sand, and he still had the other. The day after I saw the other limb lying on the sand, and he was nowhere to be found - I assumed he was dead, at that point. But two days after losing the second pincer he showed up again in the morning, which is when I put him in an acclimation box for safekeeping. And I just saw those bristleworms swarm and devour my new pistol shrimp a couple days ago, so I am positive I have some predatory ones in there.

I'll be replacing my rockwork with new, pre-cycled dry rocks on the 28th, which should take out most, if not all, the worms so after that I feel confident that he won't be in danger anymore. It's a relief to know he'll grow his claws back! Thanks for your help.

Bristleworms aren't carnivores, they are detritavores. The pistol shrimp died on its own and the worms made their way over to the body. It's possible that you have species of eunice worm, which can hunt and kill small inverts.

• 1 year later...

OK so I have an anemone/porcelain crab same thing happened I haven’t found the body but I found the two claws there’s nothing in the tank that I know of that could’ve done this to him/her! 34 gal RSM 130d with five hermit crabs small in size not tiny but small, two clowns, purple puesdochromis (spelling sorry) a purple fire fish, two red fire fish and a file fish. One large rose bta and many coral frags and mini colonies mostly lps. Oh and three sexy shrimp.