inTank Media Baskets

Shakeb1000

Hello everyone,

this is is my first post and I hope I’m doing this right but I need help and this seems like a very helpful community and place to seek advice so here I am. I recently set up a nano reef a day ago, and it’s in the process of cycling rn. My goal is to keep 2 clownfish and a few corals. The only concern I have is that I used Nestle Purified Water and mixed the salt into that, the ones you put on top of water dispensers. I don’t know if this is dangerous or will cause problems in my tank. I did not have access to RO/DI water but I am looking into buying a system soon. My question is, should I completely drain the tank and start again, or is the water alright? 

It depends. Some bottled water is distilled, which is fine. Others are merely filtered tap water. Usually, you can tell when looking at the label the level of filtration the bottler used. You'll want to use either distilled water or, better yet, one that's been filtered by reverse osmosis (RO/DI).  If you have a LFS store near you, ask them if they sell pre-mixed water. Several sell it at a far cheaper price than you can mix yourself until you can invest in your own RO/DI unit to use at home.

I like to recommend the aquatic life Twist-In RO/DI unit for newbie reefers. It's a good quality filtration system that's portable and hooks up to any 3/4" threaded spigot in your house. It's also an inexpensive unit and it's easy to service and maintain when the filter clogs up. Just twist out the old filter and insert and twist in the new one. Easy peasy.

The minerals added back to distilled and highly filtered water is just to stabilize pH. It's usually calcium and magnesium salts and won't harm anything. It will be listed on the label. FDA requires that on food labels.

Nestle pure water is drinking water. Bottled drinking water is just treated tap.

Using it regularly is not advised.

I'd switch over to distilled(pure water, 0 minerals)

Or rodi(pure water 0 minerals)

3 hours ago, OPtasia said:

The minerals added back to distilled and highly filtered water is just to stabilize pH. It's usually calcium and magnesium salts and won't harm anything. It will be listed on the label. FDA requires that on food labels.

Yea, the bottle says minerals added and I wa scared I didn’t know what they were. On top of that in currently saving up for an Ro/Di unit as I’m only 17 and going to work for it. Thanks for the help 

• Like 1