Pod Your Reef

Help with flow fast

Noobreefer90

Ok so I have been fighting with a powerhead moving around in my tank  making my corals unhappy cause it’s hard to adjust the flow when it doesn’t stick to the side of my tank and moves 

so I’m about to order a Wavemaker in just a few mins don’t want to much flow but just enough to make my corals happy 

I have frogspawn hammers gsp Duncan’s and gonna add lots more diff kinds 

what gph do I need to have on my 36g bowfront 

was thinking a 425

A couple of Tunze nanostreams would work and would probably be my pick.   The smaller units in that line (6015, 6020) are $40/ea...the largest (6045) is $76.  Pick the two you like the best.  (Add one at time if you want to spread out the costs a little.)

Turbelle® nanostream® 6015Turbelle® nanostream® 6020

On my 40 breader I had 2 koralia 850s and I didn't feel like I was lacking flow.

FB_IMG_1545226364041.jpg

On my newer tank I'm using a sicce 525 and it takes up much less real estate, I'd probably use two for that 36 bowfront to avoid dead spots.

I'm gonna advise against those hydors. They crap out pretty quick if you use the wave timer. For less money you could buy a single jebao rw8. That'll control wave functions and flow. From about 250 gph up to 2000 gph. That's $70, vs 2 hydors and the controller. Beyond that the 425s are really weak. I wouldn't even say they were high flow for a 10 gallon. On a 36, even 2 aren't enough, IMO. 

Sure, those jebaos crap out, too. Usually about a year, and they are done. Hell, even the MP 10s crap out. But, you can replace the pump on the henao without replacing the controller. For $70, you'll get about a year. Replace the pump once a year, you can go about 6+ years before you get to the cost of 1 MP 10. Plus, you're about the same cost of replacing the hydor 425 pumps once a year. And you only need one pump in the tank.

• Like 1

I find the hydor 425 a weak powerhead. I used it in my 15g with a sicce 530.

The sicce moves water nicely.

In a 36g you need 2 powerheads. You want at least 30 times turnover.

To figure out your turnover take total gph of pumps and divide by gallons. 

Personally, I started with two Tunze 6045's on two tanks that were 3' tanks just a little bigger than yours....a 37 gallon and a 50 gallon.  Just saying for perspective on flow quantity.  That combo was enough to make SPS very happy.