ReefCleaners.org

Softened water and RODI

BoisBlancBoy

Ok everyone. Here’s my situation. I have hard well water. So I installed a water softener and now things are great. No staining of shower walls and no cleaning of faucets. 

How many stage RODI do you think I should use?

I emailed BRS and their response was just get a 6 stage. Well I’m no scientist but since my water is now soft it seems a 6 stage is overkill. If I still had hard water a 6 stage would seem appropriate but maybe I’m completely wrong. 

Thanks!

I agree with you, not much purpose to the 6 stage compared to the 5 stage. Same prefilters/membrane. If you are tearing through DI resin, you can order another canister for pretty cheap. Id go with this first, and add another canister if you are unhappy with how often you need to change resin. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-premium-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

I use softened water- 500TDS on the tap, then ~10tds post membrane. But because I make ~100 of gallons of water per week, that used up the resin too quickly. So I bought two more canister housings, for a total of 3 DI resin canisters. 

10 hours ago, BoisBlancBoy said:

Would knowing what my TDS is currently from the tap help knowing how many stage system to get?

Yes as well as treatment methods, is the water treated with chlorine, chloramine, or both.

48 minutes ago, BoisBlancBoy said:

It’s well water so it’s not treated with anything other than a water softener with standard salt. 

Directly out of your own ground well or municipal well?

Along with my water test before I got my softener said I had 425 total dissolved solids. Forgot I had that. Now I’ve heard that a softener doesn’t reduce the TDS it just changes it and an RO membrane can remove softener solids easier than pre-softener solids.  

Hard water is harder on rodi systems, it more work on the filters.

Water softener removes/reduces the minerals in ground water but other than that it doesn't treat the water.