Pod Your Reef

On the verge of setting up my tank, a few last questions

antigonus

I have finally assembled almost everything I need to start my first salt water tank (Biocube 32), other than a bucket and auxiliary heater for mixing which i'll get today, and even though i'm sure this sounds like a pretty stupid question, my biggest quandary is figuring out how to add water to the tank initially. 

Ideally I would want to add rock, sand, and then water, but i'm not 100% percent sure I will be able to have enough water already mixed in another container to pour all of it in at once.  

My next idea was to add the dry rock, then most of the water, then add the live sand and live rock, and finally top it off with a little more water to make sure it's completely full. 

I want to make sure the live rock doesn't have time to dry out and that it is added to water which is around 78 degrees Fahrenheit  so there isn't a significant die off. 

Anyway, i'm not sure if i'm making any sense, and there is a good chance I am making this way more complicated than it needs to be, but i'm just curious how other people have initially set up their aquarium, and would certainly appreciate advice and tips. 

as much as you possibly can. Since there's no life besides whats on the live rock you should be able to use freshly mixed saltwater without letting it aerate or sit over night, which many people do with fresh saltwater. 

That's really good to know! I was planning on trying to have all of it already aerated in a big bin or something, but if I can add freshly mixed saltwater this will be a thousand times easier. 

Definitely is, just check your salinity at least a few hours after you add all of the water, sometimes the salt will not dissolve completely and you can adjust it with fresh water as necessary. You don't want to do that when you have fish or coral in the tank but it should not have an adverse affect on your rock.  

Thanks a lot, this should be pretty straight forward then. Once the entire thing is filled and running doing water changes will be pretty easy because i'll just need a five or ten gallon bucket and heater, I guess I was stressing out too much about the live rock. 

I would recommend on having more buckets and heaters on stand by.

You never know when you will need to do an emergency water change.

Sounds like  you are using dry and live rock. I would mix all your water. While this is mixing, I would add sand and the dry rock to the tank. Use a plate or lid to add the mixed SW to the tank without disturbing the sand bed. Don't worry about the water being heated first if you only have sand and dry rock in the tank.

Turn on your pumps and heater. Get the water to temperature and then add the live rock to the tank. 

Then wait 4 to 8 weeks for the cycle and you are good to go!

• Thanks 1

Having more than 1 bucket is definitely a good plan. I have 4 just to be on the safe side.

I to mix water in, 1 to siphon water from the tank during waterchanges.

For the initial set up, it's fine to

Add rock(I like to place eggcrate first so no pressure points from rocks are directly on the glass)

Add sand(should pre wash this)

Add water

Make more water and add. It won't hurt anything doing this since the tank is new and there is nothing in it.

If you are using liverock and want to prevent die off- buy a spray bottle. Put sw in it and spray the liverock to keep it wet until it gets in the tank.

I

• Like 1