Coral Vue Hydros

DreC80

They are definitely quiet.  Is yours pulling out dark skimmate? Mine isn't, but it's on the wife's 18 gallon tank with a fairly low bioload

No, mostly just slightly discolored water, but it’s only been in for maybe two weeks, and the tank is only a month old. Add to that low bio load (1 fish and just a few corals) and I’m not surprised. If I lower the cup I get more water, if I raise it the bubbles never reach the cup. This WB10 is pretty clean as well, i’m new to the idea of heavier feeding, so I’m taking it slowly so as to not get a “Refugium display tank” look... 🙂

5 hours ago, Friendly said:

you've got some damn fine aquarist skill going on there! I'm envious...I love long and low tanks and have thought about the IM 30L since I've seen it.  😄 

Yeah the 30l is a good tank.  I'm starting to run out of room though.

5 hours ago, Joevember said:

Great tank! Love the pics. What are you using to take them?

Thanks.  I'm just using my Samsung Galaxy S9.  I did just buy a nikon d5600, but need to get a macro lense and figure out how to use the darn thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd throw up a a couple photos of the wife's tank.  She's into softies and lps.  It's been running since about April of 2018.  The tank is a c-vue 18 gallon with ai prime for lighting.  Originally had a sand bed in it and no skimmer.  We removed sand and added a skimmer and have observed positive results since the change.

20190202_182755.jpg

20190202_182927.jpg

20190202_182937.jpg

20190202_183755.jpg

• Like 5

Well guys, looking back at my records, it appears I put the clownfish in the tank on 14 Feb 18.  I guess this is my official one year update.  Overall the tank has been pretty good.  I have lost a few corals, overskimmed, used too much gfo, etc, but I think I have most of those issues figured out by now.  The tank is 95% sps so the ATI doser is definitely a time saver.  I'm maxed out on corals so now it's time to just let everything grow out and keep things stable.  Over the last year I've used IO reef crystals, but am going to switch to something with lower alk, maybe red sea blue bucket.  Not really planning any upgrades, just want to enjoy the tank.  Here are a few pics.

20190210_181158.jpg

20190210_181139.jpg

20190210_181127.jpg

20190210_181112.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on the new NuvoSkim DC skimmer. I'm considering it for my 25g lagoon. What's your verdict after using it for a couple more weeks? I've so far only seen pictures with slightly discolored water. Would you get it again? My main alternative would be the much bigger Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. What do you recommend? 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, pieceofreef said:

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on the new NuvoSkim DC skimmer. I'm considering it for my 25g lagoon. What's your verdict after using it for a couple more weeks? I've so far only seen pictures with slightly discolored water. Would you get it again? My main alternative would be the much bigger Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. What do you recommend? 

Thanks!

Well, the nuvoskim is really quiet...but all I can get it to do is skim discolored water.  I have the aquamaxx hob 1 (original) on my 30l and it is just a much better skimmer and pulls much more junk.  If you have a higher bio load I would definitely go with something like the aquamaxx.  If I had it to do over I probably wouldn't purchase the nuvoskim.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, this is quite helpful. I wish the Aquamaxx was smaller, but I hope to stock quite a few fish in the 25g (2 clowns, blenny, 2 wrasses, maybe goby, maybe small angel), so perhaps that is still the way to go.

Yeah, I would definitely upgrade the skimmer to an aquamaxx or something similar with that bioload.  Maybe look at the tunze comline.  Aquamaxx also makes an NF version that could fit in the back of a 25, but it's never in stock on marine depot.

3 hours ago, mattbaar said:

Tank looks great! 

I have the same one and am looking at changing my return pump. How do you like the Jebao and what GPH/ % power are you running it at? 

Thanks, the jebao has been solid so far.  I've got it maxed out, but am also using spin streams.  Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.  I hated the stock pump.  The jebao has a feed mode too which is handy.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been about a month since I last posted.  Tank has been doing well.  No new additions, just letting everything grow in.  I did have some acropora red bugs, but took care of them with interceptor.  Here are a few pics, definitely getting some good growth.

20190310_182043.jpg

20190309_184020.jpg

20190309_184251.jpg

20190309_184203.jpg

20190309_184127.jpg

• Like 3

Well, went ahead and purchased a nero 5 since they were on sale.  Going to replace one of the two mp10s in my tank with this and see what happens.

20190314_180853.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

Well, went ahead and purchased a nero 5 since they were on sale.  Going to replace one of the two mp10s in my tank with this and see what happens.

20190314_180853.jpg

Welcome to the future 😂

27 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Welcome to the future 😂

No kidding.  It was very easy to set up, moves a ton of water....so far I'm happy with it.

• DreC80 changed the title to DreC80's Reefer XL425 - New Pics