ReefCleaners.org

Test Kits (alk)

skyscraper2290

skyscraper2290

So I have always used Red Sea test kits since I first got into SW. I like them and they have always worked well for me, but I’m not a huge fan of the alk test and feel it’s tough for me to get accurate and consistent readings. I’m trying to monitor my alk closer now to track consumption so I wanted to see if anyone has a preference for their alk testing and which brand they like the most. Thanks everyone!

While I do not have any experience with Red Sea's test kit, I have used and will be picking up another hanna alkalinity checker. To me it seemed to be accurate enough to dial in my dosing pump and maintain stable parameters. I came from using the API test kit so it was quite a noticeable difference.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, lpsouth1978 said:

I like my Red Sea Pro, but Hanna is said to pretty good and easy to use, just a bit more expensive.

Is the Red Sea Pro different than what you get in the Red Sea Marine kit with Nitrates/pH/Nitrites/Ammonia...?

I have the RS kit, Salifert and Hanna

I prefer the Hanna first, then Salifert and really dislike the Red Sea kit one as you can only round it to whole numbers.

2 minutes ago, Sparty said:

Is the Red Sea Pro different than what you get in the Red Sea Marine kit with Nitrates/pH/Nitrites/Ammonia...?

I have the RS kit, Salifert and Hanna

I prefer the Hanna first, then Salifert and really dislike the Red Sea kit one as you can only round it to whole numbers.

Red sea pro isn't rounded to whole numbers.

It's like salifert.

skyscraper2290

Here are the 2 different Red Sea Cards, I use the pro version. I think my issue arises when I feel that the color change happens gradually so it’s based on the person using the kit and when they believe they have hit the mark. So I guess it’s really for consistency between tests that im

most concerned with. 

F20F9826-DF48-4339-ADAF-7D71C00DD3AC.jpeg

597D95A5-2382-4925-A0AA-60C2A3594FF0.jpeg

I used the red sea pro kits for a long time and feel they are accurate and alot of times I am guessing ok was that the full color change. sure I was basically in the ball park buy a .3 here and there. I bought the Hanna and its nice to get an absolute read out. I tested it against my redsea and they were pretty much spot on with each other. I like it only takes me about 1min to test the alk with it and not have to worry about reading a color change

ELOS Alk is very good. Measures in half points so 8.5..9...9.5 etc ...each drop of reagent counts for half a point of dkh.

Color change from orange to blue is evident. Never had a problem. At 18-22$ depending on vendor is not a bad value either.

Its all I use now.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:43 AM, Clown79 said:

I use salifert and hanna.

I did a comparison on 4 kits I had on hand.

These were the results

Red sea 8.8

Salifert 8.9

Hanna 7.9

Api 9

So which of the reading is correct? Seems that the hanna is either the only one right or the only

one wrong.

1 hour ago, dling said:

So which of the reading is correct? Seems that the hanna is either the only one right or the only

one wrong.

Since the other 3 were the same, I'd say they were correct.

Hanna has an accuracy of 0.3 + 5%

skyscraper2290

I think I’m going to pick up a Hanna checker. I think when it comes to accuracy and consistency it will be best. I’m trying to figure out how much I may need to dose and so being able to know the numbers aren’t up to my eyes on a chemical test will be best. 

I hate the color tests for most parameters since it's hard as hell for me to read the results. It's especially a pita for alk which is so important to keep track of, so I use a hannah checker. It's quick and easy. 

They're pricey, so I only have one for alk, but I'd love one for all parameters. 

Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

I hate the color tests for most parameters since it's hard as hell for me to read the results. It's especially a pita for alk which is so important to keep track of, so I use a hannah checker. It's quick and easy. 

They're pricey, so I only have one for alk, but I'd love one for all parameters. 

Calcium isn’t very accurate I have heard with the Hanna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, dling said:

one wrong.

I only have the Hanna and Salifert Alk kits. I'm consistently getting +1dKh higher with the Salifert kit. Not sure which one to trust??

I"ll have my LFS run a test the next time I go in and let that decide the argument...

27 minutes ago, Sparty said:

I only have the Hanna and Salifert Alk kits. I'm consistently getting +1dKh higher with the Salifert kit. Not sure which one to trust??

I"ll have my LFS run a test the next time I go in and let that decide the argument...

When I had the same occur, I contacted Hanna. They confirmed that their kit has a certain percentage of accuracy difference which is 5%

On 12/20/2018 at 10:43 AM, Clown79 said:

I use salifert and hanna.

I did a comparison on 4 kits I had on hand.

These were the results

Red sea 8.8

Salifert 8.9

Hanna 7.9

Api 9

Without accuracy, precion and other stats, it's not too meaningful to compare those numbers....except to say they're all really similar.  

I bet when you count their stats and user error, et al, that they are all statistically equivalent....or at least too close to call.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:48 PM, skyscraper2290 said:

So I guess it’s really for consistency between tests that im

most concerned with. 

Correct.  Do your tests the same way every time, so your results are comparable. 

This is also why comparing results from different test kits isn't a useful exercise.

We don't actually care all that much about accuracy (which is very expensive) in the first place.  

We care about changes between tests since that's the info we base our dosing on.

On 12/25/2018 at 9:13 AM, dling said:

one wrong.

See comments about test kit statistics.  All are right.  (right enough)  

The real comparison would be which test can you use the most consistently.  

To see, just for example, you'd test each kit on the same water sample in triplicate and then report how much variation there is between the three tests.  

The best kit for you would be the one you can operate the most consistently.

On 12/25/2018 at 4:51 PM, TILTON said:

Calcium isn’t very accurate I have heard with the Hanna.

Not true.  It's very accurate, but it's COMPLICATED to use...3-4 different syringes and you have to make one of the reagents during the test if I recall correctly, just to give an idea of it.  

But its results matched well with Salifert and Hach after I got enough practice with it.  Too complicated for daily use unless you have a good reason such as being color-blind/being unable to see the color change on "normal" calcium tests.