SaltCritters.com

Water Temps.

dling

So I've been battling what I thought was low water temps. In order to raise them I added

a second 200w heater. Still the temps would not get above 74-75 deg. So I ordered a third heater.

300w,has not arrived yet. In the process I also wanted to get a second opinion. So I ordered a pack of the digital

temps readers like the one I am using. Added one of the readers this morning. Reading 87.6 deg. WHAT!!!!!

So I added the second reader. Now there's three temp readers in the tank. Two say 87.6 one says 71.3,the old one.

You have got to be kidding me. This explains why the tank is looking so bad. I started mixing more saltwater for another change

today when home from thinking it was water related . Looks like it is high temp causing the problems. Hope after getting the temps lowered

everything starts looking healthy again.. Sorry for the wordy post. Very frustrating .

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Never trust those cheap little digital thermometers on thfir own. Ivd used them just for quick reference when their readings have been confirmed by another source, but I've gone through a bunch of them because they constany lose any accuracy they had. 

I've used cheap ebay digital readers and they have been pretty accurate. They last longer than the coralife ones. 

The problem with any equipment is that they can and eventually do fail.

Sometimes it just means a battery change is required because they start reading incorrectly when the batteries start to die.

I use inkbird controllers on 2 tanks. Controllers show 79.3 and the digital thermometer show 79.1.

I always keep a glass thermometer around to check temps as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I've used cheap ebay digital readers and they have been pretty accurate. They last longer than the coralife ones. 

The problem with any equipment is that they can and eventually do fail.

Sometimes it just means a battery change is required because they start reading incorrectly when the batteries start to die.

I use inkbird controllers on 2 tanks. Controllers show 79.3 and the digital thermometer show 79.1.

I always keep a glass thermometer around to check temps as well.

Do you have a chiller and a heater connected to the temp controller? I own a chiller.

Metrologists (those involved with the science of measurement) rely on a concept called "calibration" to ensure that values given by devices are reasonable.  It basically means comparing results against something that you know with reasonable confidence, typically more accurately than the device your testing.  Nothing is perfect there is uncertainty in every measured value.  If you don't have something better to compare against, then three of the same kind provide higher confidence.  If you only have two which one is right?

For temperature, ice baths or boiling water are two points that are pretty repeatable and consistent unless you're at a high altitude.

I use a glass thermometer and the temp option on my salinity tester. I also trust my neotherm heater so if its light is on and where I set it, I'm pretty confident temps are good. 

Those cheap digi thermometers will start out pretty accurate but always start losing accuracy after a month or so for me. 

You can bypass all of the cheap garbage thermometers and inaccurate heater thermostats and just buy a real controller. You can get a reef specific controller like an Apex or an industrial heater-only controller like a Ranco for about $50.

Tons of people on here can tell you about how well the Apex works, but I can tell you that the Ranco is awesome as well - the version I'm using was discontinued in 2013 and I've had it longer than that. It uses a thermistor probe (the type of probe used as a control in the review link) and since it is an industrial unit it's lifespan is extremely long. It's big, it's loud, and it can switch the AC for your house, but it's bombproof. If you don't want to shell out for an Apex - they are probably the best you can do.

21 hours ago, dling said:

Do you have a chiller and a heater connected to the temp controller? I own a chiller.

No. I don't need a chiller. 

During the summer I use AC so my temporary stable in my tanks.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm slowly getting the tank back down to an acceptable

temp. From now on I will keep at least tow  temp readers. That way I should be able to have

an idea when something isn't right.