Cultivated Reef

Twizzler Zoanthid help

Saltwatertank7

Saltwatertank7

Hi all! This is my first post on here but I’m looking to find some help with my recently bought twizzler Zoas! About three weeks ago I purchased a twizzler zoa frag and since then it has not done well in my tank. It started off with five polyps that looked healthy and it has now depleted to 2 maybe 3. I tested some water levels yesterday and I got these results:

Alk: 120 ppm

Ph: 8.0

Nitrite: 0 mg/L

Nitrate: 20 mg/L

I also tested salinity and it was a little salty so I did a slight water change and fixed that. I have been feeding it benepets  reef food twice a week since I’ve purchased it. I currently have it in my 13.5 gal fluval evo that also contains two emerald crabs, a condylactis anem, and a GSP coral. The only sign of damage toward the zoa was an accidental pinch from my emerald crab early on as a piece of mysis shrimp landed on the zoa and the crab accidentally pinched and sorta mutilated one of the polyps while grabbing the food. I don’t know what else to do but I really don’t wanna lose this guy, please help! 

2B7333F6-5E8C-4006-9A77-2D8FA336DFBD.jpeg

7B8B5441-E45B-425D-96E9-926C62AF72E4.jpeg

It's really hard to say bazed on what you've said, though Alk is a bit little low, but I will say sometimes zoas just melt away. 

Why is you Alk only 6.7dkh though? 

Saltwatertank7
23 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

It's really hard to say bazed on what you've said, though Alk is a bit little low, but I will say sometimes zoas just melt away. 

Why is you Alk only 6.7dkh though? 

Since I’m new I wasn’t quite sure what the best alk level was but I figured that since my GSP was still doing well it was okay! Would you recommend raising alk? I have some reef builder to help raise it! 

6.7 really isn't low for KH, I kept mine at 6 for years and has dropped into the 4s when I wasn't paying attention (oops) and even Acropora were fine with it. Keeping it as stable as possible is the key.

Is everything else in the tank doing OK? 🙂

• Like 2

Twizzlers are one of the pickiest morphs I personally have ever kept. I bought 4 frags before I gave up on them. Just move them around until they get happy. Mine liked high like close to 200 par,but would open for a month then close up then open then melt away. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MrObscura said:

It's pretty low. 7dkh is usually the low end, and that's more often ran by people with lower nutrient systems. 

I don’t want to argue but 7 isn’t the lower end. Between 6 and 7 is very normal in low nutrient tanks. 

Umm... Isn't that exactly what I said. Or in other words that's the lower end. Most tanks run between 7-11, and last time I checked 7 was lower than 11.

And very few people will aim for lower than 7 even in a ulns. NSW is 7 or so, below that you're skirting the edge needlessly. 

You are arguing just to argue at this point. OP has a simple tank with basic corals. I'm not saying it's the reason for their issues, but there's no reason their Alk should be that low. 

Saltwatertank7
14 hours ago, 4x5 said:

6.7 really isn't low for KH, I kept mine at 6 for years and has dropped into the 4s when I wasn't paying attention (oops) and even Acropora were fine with it. Keeping it as stable as possible is the key.

Is everything else in the tank doing OK? 🙂

It seems like it! I’ve had the emerald crabs for about two months and there’s been no issues, and the GSP for around four and it’s been doing great! 

12 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

You're being a complete jerk. Typical Internet though talk

I wish I could like this 15 times. To the poster,listen to Shaun (spl ?) He has a very successful aquarium(s). Not just him but numerous people have. 7-10 is acceptable. 

Honestly could be anything:pods,nutrients,spectrum,flow,placement or they are just pissy (which that morph is).

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I wish I could like this 15 times. To the poster,listen to Shaun (spl ?) He has a very successful aquarium(s). Not just him but numerous people have. 7-10 is acceptable. 

Honestly could be anything:pods,nutrients,spectrum,flow,placement or they are just pissy (which that morph is).

Yeah that was a complete fail. 4x5s tank that I view on his thread is amazing. I agree with you. I'd listen to him 

• Like 2

Wtf? How was I a jerk? 

I have seen you be a smart-ass is numerous threads, so I shouldn't be surprised that this one's no different. 

Also, seems a couple of you just don't bother to read what was actually said. 7 is fine but still on the lower end of the range most people aim for. 6.7 is suspiciously low for Ops tank, I didn't fail at anything. Didn't even realize it was a test.  Did I lose at the internet as well?

Now, I'm being a jerk. 

Anyway, some guys successful low nutrient sps tank is irrelevant when trying to help op with some struggling zoas. To tell new comers sub 7 Alk is fine, especially under these circumstances is just irresponsible. 

Numerous times in this thread I've  literally been agreed with, by posters saying the same thing, only for them to turn around and argue about it. Talk about typical internet bs. This sites cool becsuse its usually free if it, but this thread didn't escape it. Sorry op. 

11 hours ago, Saltwatertank7 said:

It seems like it! I’ve had the emerald crabs for about two months and there’s been no issues, and the GSP for around four and it’s been doing great! 

One thing I've learnt is that you can't always keep everything happy, often times it doesn't make sense why one coral will be unhappy and the others aren't, however, correcting a tank to try please one coral can be more dangerous than leaving things as is if the rest are happy. I may be wrong but I would be very surprised if your KH was the issue with these Zoas - I've had Zoas go through hell and never be concerned with water parameters. Good luck 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Saltwatertank7
7 hours ago, 4x5 said:

One thing I've learnt is that you can't always keep everything happy, often times it doesn't make sense why one coral will be unhappy and the others aren't, however, correcting a tank to try please one coral can be more dangerous than leaving things as is if the rest are happy. I may be wrong but I would be very surprised if your KH was the issue with these Zoas - I've had Zoas go through hell and never be concerned with water parameters. Good luck 🙂

Thank you so much! I will continue trying to keep this guy alive and I’ll keep you guys updated on the progress! I appreciate your kind words and help so much! 

• Like 1