Pod Your Reef

Are these diatoms?

mmac9

Just now, TILTON said:

I would say yes.  The best way to get rid of them is time.  They will go away on their own.

So I've been blowing them off the sand every couple of days. Is that not the best idea. Should I just leave them be until they burn themselves out?

Thrassian Atoll
7 minutes ago, mmac9 said:

So I've been blowing them off the sand every couple of days. Is that not the best idea. Should I just leave them be until they burn themselves out?

How old is your tank?  They will come back until one day they are just gone.  🤷‍♂️  Diatoms are weird like that.  Usually with a newly cycled tank.  Mine just started showing up and I have 0 everything on my test kits. I don’t know if you can ever have a new tank and they not show up.  

If you use tap water for top  off or mixing salt that can cause them.  My RO//DI recently went to shit and I had to start using tap temporarily  for a bit until I can replace it.  I got diatom blooms immediately.  They do go away over time.