ReefCleaners.org

Dedicated Pest Tank

Gunthr

Since finding out how much work is involved with maintaining a decent nano-reef, I've been toying with the idea of creating a tank filled with Aiptasia, hair algae, cyano and perhaps some isopods.

Do you think this kind of tank would be easier to maintain? What I'm looking for here is sort of a bottom line - lowest common denominator tank that could be operated inexpensively with minimum headaches. I don't see any downside to this - any thoughts?

lol, if you want to have a tank with all 3 of those, it may actually be more difficult than having a healthy reef tank. the cyano and hair algae will need a constant supply of organic matter in the tank. if you're going to do a pest only tank, why not just throw some xenia in there and let it take over, lol.

I've always wanted to do a dedicated xenia tank. Just collect all the different types of xenia I could find.

If I want to see dedicated pest tanks I just go to my LFS.

Originally posted by Korbin

If I want to see dedicated pest tanks I just go to my LFS.

LOL! i see aptasia in just about all the tanks at my LFS..

may as well throw a mantis shrimp in there as well...;)

I have had a "pest" tank for a while. Started with Matilda, a 6 inch slasher mantis who lives with 3 damsels. Now have aiptasia and anything else that can live in saltwater. If the mantis doesn't eat it then it's home free. A real blast!

Archived