Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What to get for my budget...

If_Only

So im flip flopping like crazy about what tank to get, and I have a set budget for the tank and equipment, which is $700 maybe $800 if I convince the "boss of the house" to let me spend more. I already have RODI machine (Use it for my freshwater tanks, but it will still be great), and sand and rock (Friend had extra from setting his up, like 20lbs extra of both.. hehe. So basically from all of you peoples experiences, what size tank could I comfortably afford, I was looking at a fluval evo, and the nuvo line, but if you guys have any good ideas, let me know. Im not just asking about those tanks just what size should I go for, and if its a AIO which brand?

Any thoughts and experiences much appreciated.

If you second hand, you can easily get a bigger and complete setup for that price.

If all new, nano and AIO, I would go Evo 13, IM 10/20. Let’s use the IM10 with estimates as an example;

Tank - $100

Light - $200

Heater - $25

Pump Upgrade - $35

InTank Media Basket - $50

(Powerhead or Wavecontroller) - $25-$150

(ATO - $100)

$660 and you now have a solid setup that can grow most corals - starter sps, most lps, softies and anemones.

This is just an estimate, you can easier go cheaper/more expensive depending on budget.

If you’re willing to do an non-aio, you can really get a solid setup too.

14 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

If you second hand, you can easily get a bigger and complete setup for that price.

If all new, nano and AIO, I would go Evo 13, IM 10/20. Let’s use the IM10 with estimates as an example;

Tank - $100

Light - $200

Heater - $25

Pump Upgrade - $35

InTank Media Basket - $50

(Powerhead or Wavecontroller) - $25-$150

(ATO - $100)

$660 and you now have a solid setup that can grow most corals - starter sps, most lps, softies and anemones.

This is just an estimate, you can easier go cheaper/more expensive depending on budget.

If you’re willing to do an non-aio, you can really get a solid setup too.

I don't know weather I want to do the nuvo 20 or the evo 13.5 I might do the nuvo, it has a bit more stocking space, but I don't know if I want cheaper lights or break down and go for a AI prime... Do clams do well in small tanks like the nuvo 20?

Absolutely I would go used if that was my equipment budget. Just be smart and picky and search for a while. Don't buy the first one you find. 800 on my local forums could get me a pretty suave complete setup. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

Absolutely I would go used if that was my equipment budget. Just be smart and picky and search for a while. Don't buy the first one you find. 800 on my local forums could get me a pretty suave complete setup. 

^^this.  Especially with the light.  Used AI primes pop up here for <$200 fairly regularly.  

6 minutes ago, specore said:

^^this.  Especially with the light.  Used AI primes pop up here for <$200 fairly regularly.  

My 45g Shallow was actually a used setup off of craigslist.

• Like 1

Used Red Sea Reefer 170 series. They're great value setups used and most importantly, they're aesthetically pleasing (important to keep your SO happy). They pop up pretty often in the local forums (SF Bay Area). Here's one such deal: 

Red Sea Reefer 170 34g - tank, stand(upgraded magnetic door by previous owner) sump, and all piping - was used by previous owner but not set up by me - ATO came cracked and given to me for free by previous owner. cleaned/no scratches on tank or stand - ready to go - 500 obo

Reef Octopus Classic 110-S - used by previous owner - cleaned and ready to go - 120 obo

Eheim Compact + 3000 - brand new. 80 obo

Vortech MP10 quiet drive - used/good condition - 140 obo - at work, can provide mfg date when I get home

Reef Breeder Photon 24 model I
believe. 40 obo. or free with purchase of tank,stand,sump

Sorry for the supreme stickers. It was a running joke between friends but they are only on the boxes. Not looking to part out. Would love to move tank stand and sump together.

Take all for 720 picked up

Another setup, this one with better lights, which would stretch your budget, but does include livestock:

Reefer 170 + White Stand + Sump
40 Lbs Live Rock + Fish, Starpolys, Rose Anemone, Shrimps and lots more.
EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10QD-W
EcoTech Radium XR15W G4 Pro
EcoTech ReefLink
Red Octopus Skimmer
Tunze Auto Top-off System + External Water Storage
Milwaukee pH Controller
Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4
Bulk Reef Supply 4-Stage Value Plus RO/DI + New Cartridges
Bulk Reef Supply Mini Reactor
Various magnet cleaners, accessories, water test stuff, 5 gallon water jugs and LOTS more stuff I can't even keep track of.

Photos here -> https://imgur.com/a/sO0UwrF

$890 for the complete setup. OBO 

11 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

Dang, I love Louisiana... I should move there. 😀

5 hours ago, shaner014 said:

Didn’t we cover all the options in your last thread exactly like this? 🙃

My budget has changed... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ebn said:

Used Red Sea Reefer 170 series. They're great value setups used and most importantly, they're aesthetically pleasing (important to keep your SO happy). They pop up pretty often in the local forums (SF Bay Area). Here's one such deal: 

Red Sea Reefer 170 34g - tank, stand(upgraded magnetic door by previous owner) sump, and all piping - was used by previous owner but not set up by me - ATO came cracked and given to me for free by previous owner. cleaned/no scratches on tank or stand - ready to go - 500 obo

Reef Octopus Classic 110-S - used by previous owner - cleaned and ready to go - 120 obo

Eheim Compact + 3000 - brand new. 80 obo

Vortech MP10 quiet drive - used/good condition - 140 obo - at work, can provide mfg date when I get home

Reef Breeder Photon 24 model I
believe. 40 obo. or free with purchase of tank,stand,sump

Sorry for the supreme stickers. It was a running joke between friends but they are only on the boxes. Not looking to part out. Would love to move tank stand and sump together.

Take all for 720 picked up

Another setup, this one with better lights, which would stretch your budget, but does include livestock:

Reefer 170 + White Stand + Sump
40 Lbs Live Rock + Fish, Starpolys, Rose Anemone, Shrimps and lots more.
EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10QD-W
EcoTech Radium XR15W G4 Pro
EcoTech ReefLink
Red Octopus Skimmer
Tunze Auto Top-off System + External Water Storage
Milwaukee pH Controller
Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4
Bulk Reef Supply 4-Stage Value Plus RO/DI + New Cartridges
Bulk Reef Supply Mini Reactor
Various magnet cleaners, accessories, water test stuff, 5 gallon water jugs and LOTS more stuff I can't even keep track of.

Photos here -> https://imgur.com/a/sO0UwrF

$890 for the complete setup. OBO 

That first one... wheres that being sold, thats a great deal.

Just now, Ebn said:

SF Bay (San Francisco) area as mentioned in the post. 

Just sa that, I was so intrigue by the deal I start glancing over things... thanks for the help.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, If_Only said:

I don't know weather I want to do the nuvo 20 or the evo 13.5 I might do the nuvo, it has a bit more stocking space, but I don't know if I want cheaper lights or break down and go for a AI prime... Do clams do well in small tanks like the nuvo 20?

I would definitely do the Nuvo 20 over the Evo.  IMHO it's has more usable space, is a bit better built and the extra displacement makes for a more forgiving setup than a 13.5.  It also increases your stocking options for fish and number of fish.  

On 12/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, Daniel91 said:

The bigger the better. This is a very addicting hobby, so you’ll want to upgrade sooner than later.

Sad but true.  I didn't last a year with my 36 gallon before I upgraded to my current 90 gallon setup.  Now it is true some can be content long term with a small tank with nothing more than a pair of clowns and coral frags, but most get frustrated with the limitations after a while.  For me, probably the biggest thing I don't miss about my smaller tank is aggression.  In my 36 gallon I had to remove 3 fish for aggression issues (Flame Angel, Solar Wrasse, Snowflake Clownfish).  Conversely I have had my 90 gallon for over a year now and have only had to remove one Yellow Tang from it.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this an old thread, but I actually got a “bonus” which was used to get a Red Sea max 170, with the sump. I have found this addiction and I am working on building a custom system, building the tank the whole part. It will hopefully be 4x2x2 or if I can find space in the budget it’ll be 5x2x2, this build will take awhile (I’m also taking my sweet time) but I just wanted to update the thread. I also wanted to provide viewers with the fact that if you are looking for a budget tank and your into fish keeping, wait for a larger budget, it will be more enjoyable, and YOU WILL WANT TO UPGRADE. Hope this helped.