Jump to content
Finntastic1010

3.6 gallon pico

Recommended Posts

Hello, I just joined the forum because I’ve been working on a pico build for about a month and a half now. Here’s a quick rundown of the tank:

-Dimensions are 18” long by 7” tall by 6” wide. 

-Aquaknight a029 led

-box filter converted to in-tank refugium and to provide flow

-25w hydor heater

-5 lbs live rock

livestock include

-3 blue leg hermits

-1 peppermint shrimp

-1 emerald crab 

-1 trochus snail

-1 nassarius snail

-1 feather duster 

-various corals. 

The tank is fully cycled and a lot of corals have shown growth which is always good. Only problems I’ve encountered so far are flatworms (forgot to dip a leather) and I’ve got a mess of I believe dinoflagellates right now that I’m working on getting control off. Just had phosphates tested and they were safe but i might go back and have them retested. 

 

 

754AF65F-3626-412D-B1E6-6E177AC5229D.jpeg

7159CB80-1035-41CE-85D4-FA8E0185A801.jpeg

D06CB0FD-7518-4FD1-B8AA-A3C230DACFA9.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. How long has the tank been wet? Do you plan on any fish?

Thank you! Tank has been running for about a month and a half now. It cycled pretty fast so I was able to add things about 3 weeks after setting it up. I might eventually add an evotia goby or a yellow strip clingfish but I’m not entirely sure as I will have rock flowers. I’m also interested in sharknose gobies 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Finntastic1010 said:

Forgot to mention that I will be having rock flower anemones in the tank once it’s been set up for a few more months 

You can't have a peppermint shrimp and RFA together. Peps eat anemones and I have experienced first hand my peppermint shrimp eating a hole straight through my pink RFA. Not worth the pain. Just keep one or the other

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Floundering_Around said:

You can't have a peppermint shrimp and RFA together. Peps eat anemones and I have experienced first hand my peppermint shrimp eating a hole straight through my pink RFA. Not worth the pain. Just keep one or the other

I’ve never heard that before. I can get rock flowers for straight wholesale price (around $20 for ultras) and I do want to try and see if it’s worth the risk

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, Finntastic1010 said:

I’ve never heard that before. I can get rock flowers for straight wholesale price (around $20 for ultras) and I do want to try and see if it’s worth the risk

Peppermint shrimp are also known to eat coral. I had them merrily rip skirts right off of my zoas. I was ready to flush them lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, Finntastic1010 said:

I’ve never heard that before. I can get rock flowers for straight wholesale price (around $20 for ultras) and I do want to try and see if it’s worth the risk

Personally, I would say it's not. If you get a RFA that you love (prob won't get one you don't like just for a test cause if it works it will be in your tank for a long time) and your shrimp eats it, you're out of a nem and a shrimp cause if it eats one it will eat them all. So now you're out of the price of one or more RFA and however many shrimp you put in the tank. If you're getting a peppermint shrimp to control aptasia, you can use aptasia x or just leave it alone. Even the most advanced tanks still have spots of aptasia or algae.

 

Just my two cents

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Is this a deep blue tank ?! 

No it is a a Seapora labeled as a 2.3 gallon but I calculated the volume to be 3.6

On 12/24/2018 at 10:19 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Peppermint shrimp are also known to eat coral. I had them merrily rip skirts right off of my zoas. I was ready to flush them lol. 

I know they eat corals so I’ve been keeping an eye on mine. So far I’ve had no problems but if anything does come up I’ll sell him 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/25/2018 at 11:17 AM, Floundering_Around said:

Personally, I would say it's not. If you get a RFA that you love (prob won't get one you don't like just for a test cause if it works it will be in your tank for a long time) and your shrimp eats it, you're out of a nem and a shrimp cause if it eats one it will eat them all. So now you're out of the price of one or more RFA and however many shrimp you put in the tank. If you're getting a peppermint shrimp to control aptasia, you can use aptasia x or just leave it alone. Even the most advanced tanks still have spots of aptasia or algae.

 

Just my two cents

Once I add rock flowers, if I see any harm done to them I will sell the shrimp or toss him in with my SA cichlids

Share this post


Link to post

Be careful with peppermint shrimp. I will never keep another one after an experience i had with one eating a brand new extremely nice torch. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Where did manage to find that ? I can only find their cubes. 

At a reptile show lol for $25. They had some other nice unique shapes too. Go look up repticon and find a show near you and go to it

25 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

Be careful with peppermint shrimp. I will never keep another one after an experience i had with one eating a brand new extremely nice torch. 

Yep I’m keeping an eye on mine

Share this post


Link to post

Oh nice,I have been to Repticon but never seen them there. I found the maker but no email addy to ask them questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, Finntastic1010 said:

I’ve never heard that before. I can get rock flowers for straight wholesale price (around $20 for ultras) and I do want to try and see if it’s worth the risk

Where do you get RFAs for straight wholesale price? How does that work? 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Oh nice,I have been to Repticon but never seen them there. I found the maker but no email addy to ask them questions. 

I can try and grab one for you and ship it if you ever want me to

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Where do you get RFAs for straight wholesale price? How does that work? 

I worked at a pet store for a while and there is a wholesale nearby so my manager would go handpick his fish so I could go with him if I was free. I’m still in touch with him and he lets me tag along. Just picked up a nice size gold hammer for $20 and a purple torch for a friend for $30

Just now, Reefkid88 said:

I may have to take you up on that. 

I’ll let you know the next time I’m headed to repticon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Nice tank! I was looking for one about the same dimensions, pretty unique.

I can try and grab one for you as well at some point 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Finntastic1010 said:

I can try and grab one for you as well at some point 

Hey thanks a ton Finntastic that’s super nice! 

I just purchased the minicompletetank as my next project, but I’ll keep this in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Hey thanks a ton Finntastic that’s super nice! 

I just purchased the minicompletetank as my next project, but I’ll keep this in my mind.

No problem, just let me know. They had a super nice, shallow 15 gallon breeder which would make a nice frag tank

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...