Coral Vue Hydros

So basically, my budget has been cut a bit (bought a pricey freshwater pufferfish) and used up a lot of my fish money... so basically I have boiled down to about two tanks that would be good for me as a starter tank, and I'm wondering which one has a LED that I will not need to upgrade, that can grow basic LPS and softies, which one will be better for me, I strongly prefer the Evo footprint, but the biocube has other good qualities, what to you guys think.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I own both and like the biocube better. The hood being hinged makes it easy for maintenance.  Taking the lid off the evo is a pain.. the lights will both grow corals but I like the color better on the evo . Here is the thing you will want to upgrade either light someday. So to me it would come down to this fact. If you want a rimless look with a AI prime or what ever go evo. If you want to keep the stock lid I would go with the biocube so you can upgrade the hood with a nano box.. even though I like the stock light color of the evo better the stock light for the cube comes with a built in timer that even allows for an adjustable moonlight period 

1 minute ago, Weikel said:

I own both and like the biocube better. The hood being hinged makes it easy for maintenance.  Taking the lid off the evo is a pain.. the lights will both grow corals but I like the color better on the evo . Here is the thing you will want to upgrade either light someday. So to me it would come down to this fact. If you want a rimless look with a AI prime or what ever go evo. If you want to keep the stock lid I would go with the biocube so you can upgrade the hood with a nano box.. even though I like the stock light color of the evo better the stock light for the cube comes with a built in timer that even allows for an adjustable moonlight period 

Which have you seen more growth with??

I have a biocube.  I wouldn’t do it again.  I don’t like the black plastic back, the light is insufficient and when removed the built in hinges in the rim get in the way.  Also I don’t like the curved corners that distort the view.  Just poorly designed imo.  

1 minute ago, NanoRox said:

I have a biocube.  I wouldn’t do it again.  I don’t like the black plastic back, the light is insufficient and when removed the built in hinges in the rim get in the way.  Also I don’t like the curved corners that distort the view.  Just poorly designed imo.  

Yeah thats the main reason I don't like it, I think I might upgrade to a higagero light on the evo. The biocubes are nice but I don't love the look, I've just heard the light is better on the biocube.

11 minutes ago, If_Only said:

Which have you seen more growth with??

You will have to do a quick search for the growth part lots of people have used the stock lighting with success in both tanks.  imo it's more about stable params for growth .I used the evo as a qt and the cube I upgraded to the nanobox...

As for the curved glass it doesn't distort the view much imo. It does make it more of a pain for cleaning though.. speaking of poor design the evos chambers are horrible imo . They have a hole in the middle chamber that you should plug . And the divider between. Chamber one and 2 is slotted which is weird . And the surface skimmer is sub par.. sorry I would explain more but I have a cold and my head is pounding lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Weikel said:

You will have to do a quick search for the growth part lots of people have used the stock lighting with success in both tanks.  imo it's more about stable params for growth .I used the evo as a qt and the cube I upgraded to the nanobox...

As for the curved glass it doesn't distort the view much imo. It does make it more of a pain for cleaning though.. speaking of poor design the evos chambers are horrible imo . They have a hole in the middle chamber that you should plug . And the divider between. Chamber one and 2 is slotted which is weird . And the surface skimmer is sub par.. sorry I would explain more but I have a cold and my head is pounding lol

I feel you, I have a terrible cold as well, thats why im stuck inside doing reef tank research. I think im gonna go with the Evo and use the InTank media basket. Thanks for the help, the fish store I help out around sells the evos too so I might get a small discount 😀.

Thanks for all the replies!

1 minute ago, If_Only said:

I feel you, I have a terrible cold as well, thats why im stuck inside doing reef tank research. I think im gonna go with the Evo and use the InTank media basket. Thanks for the help, the fish store I help out around sells the evos too so I might get a small discount 😀.

Thanks for all the replies!

Good luck! Start a tank journal you will thank me later ... oh and another bonus is I feel it’s easier to scape a evo than a cube... when doing so just leave yourself room to clean the glass !

Both are great starter tanks that will get you going and can't go wrong with either (flip a coin).

In my opinion, the Fluval has a better tank look especially if your room can leverage the peninsula. I think the biocube has better overall components and functionality than the fluval (lights, filtration, canopy). I have not had much of an issue with the curved glass other than cleaning. 

Regarding growth, that's going to be dependent on your upkeep more than the differences between the two tanks. I chose the Biocube 16 LED and can grow any softie/LPS.

If I did it again, I would go with Biocube over the Fluval, and happy I made that choice. But budget aside, I would get an IM 25 lagoon if I could go back in time.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

Both are great starter tanks that will get you going and can't go wrong with either (flip a coin).

In my opinion, the Fluval has a better tank look especially if your room can leverage the peninsula. I think the biocube has better overall components and functionality than the fluval (lights, filtration, canopy). I have not had much of an issue with the curved glass other than cleaning. 

Regarding growth, that's going to be dependent on your upkeep more than the differences between the two tanks. I chose the Biocube 16 LED and can grow any softie/LPS.

If I did it again, I would go with Biocube over the Fluval, and happy I made that choice. But budget aside, I would get an IM 25 lagoon if I could go back in time.

I like the lagoon but I think a evo would be a good choice for me.

12 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

The lagoon is a great tank.

It was my "I wish I got the lagoon" and after 2 yrs I did finally upgrade to it.

Wish I had done it from the start, would have been cheaper in the long run.

13 hours ago, Weikel said:

I agree, why do they design their chambers so differently? 

My spec doesn't run the same as my Nuvo's because of the chamber design and I plugged the hole too.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, If_Only said:

So basically, my budget has been cut a bit (bought a pricey freshwater pufferfish) and used up a lot of my fish money... so basically I have boiled down to about two tanks that would be good for me as a starter tank, and I'm wondering which one has a LED that I will not need to upgrade, that can grow basic LPS and softies, which one will be better for me, I strongly prefer the Evo footprint, but the biocube has other good qualities, what to you guys think.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Why not an IM Nuvo?  They are better than both of those IMHO:  

https://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_20_Gallon_NUVO_Fusion_Nano_Aquarium_(Tank_Only)_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_20_29_Gallons-Innovative_Marine-0I10458-FIAQNCNTTT-vi.html

The problem with the cheaper AIO kits is that people often end up upgrading many of the components (which defeats the whole purpose of an AIO in general.)  The Nuvo may not come with a light, but an AI Prime HD is $199 and once you get it you are good to go and as mentioned YOU WILL NEED TO upgrade any stock light that comes with either the Fluval or the Biocube.  It's not that the stock light can't grow corals it's just that it's a crapshoot with what it will grow (you can pretty much write LPS off and softies will be hit and miss).  By the time you add up the cost of what you lost in corals it will more than make up for the difference in lighting.  If you want to keep costs down, you could shop around for a used AI Prime HD in your area (check your local fish stores, craigslist, etc.)  

Hi Jesterrace, sorry but I have to respectfully chime-in on some of your points regarding "YOU WILL NEED TO upgrade any stock light" as I feel they are misleading.

LPS and Softies can thrive under stock Biocube 16 LED and Fluval Evo 13 lights. Plenty of tanks running stock lights here (including mine). My Torch, Hammer, and Acans doing fantastic with stock Biocube 16 lights. I have had the tank for almost a year, and no intentions to upgrade the lights, they run perfect, I have zero evaporation (No ATO required), and extremely happy with the tank system.

I would agree with you the IM10 is a "better tank", but I prefer the closed top. The IM setup is also a lot more expensive for someone starting off the hobby. I would also agree with you the AI Prime is a massive upgrade, and if someone wants the IM10 with an AI Prime, that is an unreal system to have. But you absolutely can have softies and LPS thrive with stock Biocube LED and Fluval Evo systems.

Best,

• Like 1

Actually the link I provided was for the IM20 (20 gallon model) and it comes with a screen/mesh top and is a bigger tank than either of those to boot.  The 16 gallon Biocube new runs $266 and the 13.5 Fluval runs $160.  I'm glad to hear you have had good luck with yours, but there are folks who have had issues with them.  The IM 20 setup is $180 plus the cost of a light.  A bit more expensive than the others when you add a high end light, but overall it's a much better investment in the long run.  

• Like 1