ReefCleaners.org

RO system setup on washer/dryer line

DOJOLOACH

So, does anyone have bad experiences with hooking up their RO through the washer and dryer connections?

I ask because im moving to a brand new 3rd floor apartment and dont want excessivebackpressure on my internal piping and cause a burst. 

Ive had a faucet hose break on mebecause of this 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 7:40 PM, Jrill said:

That's how I do it. Bonus is you can ran the waste into the washer and wash your clothes. Saves water.

@Jrill how do you make sure not to flood your laundry room, will the washer cutoff water flow at any point?

Christopher Marks

@DOJOLOACH you will want a float valve of some kind to shut off your RO system flow when your water storage container gets full, otherwise you'll just have to keep a close watch on it, and that's when most RO floods happen, we just forget to turn it off manually. As for the wastewater line, you can put it in the same drain that your washing machine uses, so there's no worry there. If the washing machine is running at the same time as you are filtering water, it will reduce the water pressure going to the RO membrane when the machine is drawing water, and reduce the RO output a tiny bit in that moment, but there's really no need to worry.

10 hours ago, DOJOLOACH said:

@Jrill how do you make sure not to flood your laundry room, will the washer cutoff water flow at any point?

I set a timer. I also see approximately a 3 to 1 ration of waste to ro.  The bucket my ro goes into is 5 gallons with a float switch and my washer holds 15 gallons at the high level.  But still I set a timer just to make sure.

7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

@DOJOLOACH you will want a float valve of some kind to shut off your RO system flow when your water storage container gets full, otherwise you'll just have to keep a close watch on it, and that's when most RO floods happen, we just forget to turn it off manually. As for the wastewater line, you can put it in the same drain that your washing machine uses, so there's no worry there. If the washing machine is running at the same time as you are filtering water, it will reduce the water pressure going to the RO membrane when the machine is drawing water, and reduce the RO output a tiny bit in that moment, but there's really no need to worry.

You may have missed it but we're talking about saving the waste water into the machine to use it instead of wasting it.