Pod Your Reef

New coral or nuisance?

jcfish

Here's a picture of my "coral rock" several weeks ago:

before.thumb.JPG.2ead376751919311df5ca827750252c0.JPG

A couple of weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be new coral growing. But it had "vines" and after it appeared my other corals didn't open like they did before. Here's a couple of pics of the new growth:

858709755_after1lab.thumb.jpg.888c144e288cd2a330897bb6853ee168.jpg

504876233_after2lab.thumb.jpg.e04f5ee1ded3ab2b74b5db470c77d23c.jpg

I need help identifying it. It just showed up - I didn't plant it. It is growing very fast and I need to know if it's harmful and if it should be removed.

I'm obviously a rookie - this is my first tank. Fluval 13.5 gallon. The only critters are snails, hermit crabs, and 1 blennie. Thank you in advance for your help. 

after1.JPG

If it's the green polyps you are asking about they look like palys to me. They spread fast , so I would try to keep them on  their own rock to keep them in check.

31 minutes ago, jambon said:

If it's the green polyps you are asking about they look like palys to me. They spread fast , so I would try to keep them on  their own rock to keep them in check.

Definitely not a paly, the tissue connecting the 'polyps' is way too thin and isn't attached to any rock or substrate in some places.

OP, look up caulerpa racemosa caulerpa racemosa var. peltata and acetabularia sp.

11 hours ago, jcfish said:

Here's a picture of my "coral rock" several weeks ago:

before.thumb.JPG.2ead376751919311df5ca827750252c0.JPG

A couple of weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be new coral growing. But it had "vines" and after it appeared my other corals didn't open like they did before. Here's a couple of pics of the new growth:

858709755_after1lab.thumb.jpg.888c144e288cd2a330897bb6853ee168.jpg

504876233_after2lab.thumb.jpg.e04f5ee1ded3ab2b74b5db470c77d23c.jpg

I need help identifying it. It just showed up - I didn't plant it. It is growing very fast and I need to know if it's harmful and if it should be removed.

I'm obviously a rookie - this is my first tank. Fluval 13.5 gallon. The only critters are snails, hermit crabs, and 1 blennie. Thank you in advance for your help. 

after1.JPG

That’s a lot of issues on that one rock!  

I would remove the rock and take a toothbrush and scrub all of that algae off. Then use peroxide to dab in the spots where the algae was located.  Then I would chisel off the Aiptasia..... this is the most likely the reason the zoas will not open.  

Keep repeating until everything stays gone. The zoas will get pissed but they will be ok.  

• Like 2

I see green paly's, zoa's, green hair algae, and another type of algae.

The paly's and zoas are being smothered by the algae.

When treating this rock, be careful. Take precautions when working with paly's.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much. I obviously still have much to learn.

No, not trying to grow the GHA. Very stubborn. I've had my water tested twice and was told all parameters are good. I am physically removing it periodically.

When scrubbing the rock, should I prepare a bucket of salt water to keep it submerged or can it be exposed to air?

The rock and coral can be exposed to air. The rock can be out longer, obviously. But even many, many minutes wont harm the coral. 

I'd suggest pulling the rock, manual removal, and dipping the rock back in the old water from the water change, to remove any loose algae stuck in a crevasse. Follow that with some spot treatments of peroxide. A few weeks of that and you should be good to go. Then it's time to address what's causing it.

You'll be able to better diagnose any problems once the algae is gone. Its consuming all the nutrients now. That's why your water tests all come back good. Also, youd be better off testing yourself. Get some good quality test kitsch for low range phosphate, and nitrates. NOT API test kits, or any dip tab test kits.

• Like 2