Top Shelf Aquatics

Can you keep colorful SPS in a pico reef?

Plancton

I have a bullet shape 3.5 planted tank, it looks great and I might buy another one to turn it into a reef tank. I have plenty of experience with reef tanks but I have never gone so small.

Before I decide how to stock it, the question is: Can you keep colorful SPS in a pico?  I mean, if I keep an ATO, dosing pumps, a good wavemaker and good LED lighting is it possible?

Could you show me example of pico reefs with nice looking SPS?

Lights are not an issue on such a small tank. 

If the tank is covered, and considering the additions from dosing the ATO may even be moot. 

Dosing fluids can be diluted to acheive the small quantities you'd need. 

But what would you use for flow?

A Tunze 6020 or 6040 is small, but 3.5 gallons is VERY small.

Would a Reefpack 100 fit?

Yup it certainly can be done. My sps in my pico jar grew the fastest out of all the corals in it.

I had an abi tuna blue par 38.

Did 100% weekly waterchanges, fed the corals 1 time a week.

That's it.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Did 100% weekly waterchanges

Water changes get a bad rap a lot of the time...but stony corals LOVE them IME.  I've done bi-weekly, weekly and daily water changes, at different times varying from 10% -100% per water change.  I've also done no water changes for an almost equal period of time, and "overall brightness" is the only other factor I can notice that changes....water changes always seem to kick the brightness of all my corals up a notch or two.  (About 5 years with water changes of various regimes and about 5+ years without regular water changes...for about 10+ years in total.)

• Like 3

Yep they can be grown in Picos. I had a highlighter yellow/green acro in my 3 Gal before it bombed, grew very fast actually. Don’t know if color was “optimal” but it looked good.

• Like 1

I believe Natalia has grown SPS in her bowl too.  Feeding and water changes do wonders for picos.  You may also consider using an air pump and airline for flow, depending on the tank's shape.

• Like 2