Cultivated Reef

•The ‘Box - October 2020 Featured Reef

shaner014

12 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Ohhhh I likey !!! What kinda thingyjigger you got on that Tide ? 

Thanks! The guy I bought it off of made a little “snoot” to reduce light spill. Kinda like those 3D printed ones you see for the prime all the time. I decided to leave it on since it’s on the desk. 

14 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I kinda like it. 

So are you still gonna use this tank as an overflow tank or watcha thinkin' ? 

I guess I forgot to post it here. I setup an IM10 for overflow. That’s why I’m looking for a third light in the classifieds! 

This will be a display pico. Haven’t decided on stocking yet. 

Tisk tisk !!! How dare you forget to post it here lmao. 

Why not just get a Prime 16HD ? I do understand the whole NanoBox theme going on here though lol. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Tisk tisk !!! How dare you forget to post it here lmao. 

Why not just get a Prime 16HD ? I do understand the whole NanoBox theme going on here though lol. 

Haha yes I’m shooting for the NanoBox but in all actuality may just throw a cheap Amazon fixture over the frags. 

• Like 1

I mean you coooould,I'd rather get a used prime on R2R (because there is literally some posted every day for like $130-$160 with mount) and bump the amazon idea. 

You know better shaner lol !!! 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, EastsideReefing said:

What settings do you run your mp10 on for this tank?

Oh man, I forget the names! It’s the yellow light mode haha, about 60% on the intensity dial. 

• Haha 1
On 10/24/2020 at 6:37 AM, shaner014 said:

iPhone XS with PolypLab V1 Lens, then I run a reef preset in LightRoom that color corrects and sharpens the image. 

Are you using LightRoom iOS app? If so, could you please share the settings? Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

@shaner014 as everyone has stated before stunning tank! I just finished my aquascape and waiting on a MP25 to arrive. In the meantime I will start the cycle in a rubermade box. IS this still the equipment you are using? Not sure if the first post is updated and currant. Thanks again, beautiful tank.

Tank: WaterBox 20 AIO

Light: NanoBox Duo + M

Wavemaker: EcoTech MP10QD

Skimmer: CadLights PLS-50 Elite V2 (to be determined if it'll work!)

Reactor: IM MiniMax Desktop

Heater: Cobalt Aquatics NeoTherm 150W

ATO: XPAqua Duetto

Return: IM MightyJet Desktop

Stand: Current USA Solana (Refinished)

Rock: CaribSea LIfe Rock Standard (Dry Rock)

Lid: DIY Screen Top ( @smiz top to be ordered!)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 2:59 PM, gaspipe1 said:

@shaner014 as everyone has stated before stunning tank! I just finished my aquascape and waiting on a MP25 to arrive. In the meantime I will start the cycle in a rubermade box. IS this still the equipment you are using? Not sure if the first post is updated and currant. Thanks again, beautiful tank.

Thanks!

As of a month ago, the skimmer pump died and I haven’t been running that. Gonna try and do bi-weekly water changes instead and see how growth responds. I swapped the cheap Amazon power head for a sicce nano, and the cobalt heater for the Helio 200w. Everything else is the same!

On 12/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, gaspipe1 said:

Are you using LightRoom iOS app? If so, could you please share the settings? Thank you in advance.

I do. I tweak the settings every time but basically WB slider towards yellow, dehaze some, and drop blacks a bit. Adjust exposure as needed, and add some sharpness. It’s never the same because I always take pics and different times in the light cycle. 

33 minutes ago, Chris882003 said:

Nice heater, love your water box can you go over what you have in the back chambers?

As of today. The inTank media basket with filter floss on top and ceramic bio media, second chamber is heater and IM desktop reactor (only run fox carbon for a week a month) and third chamber is return pump and ATO.

• Like 2

C1A2FFCB-2A4A-4A8C-8D1C-45EEA5F0E98E.thumb.jpeg.6b1190468ae359526a0cc9c027581b95.jpeg

7095A6BD-E849-4485-8B95-37FCAF2637CD.thumb.jpeg.0a99e6a5a42aac6e5f8a2f0b0306324a.jpeg

Current FTS of each. Pardon the cell phone quality. In one of my “oh yea.. there is a reef tank in my basement” phases.

All my snails died in the 20G, thought it was toxic dinos, replenished snails this weekend after being sure and Dino’s are gone, 2 die quickly. Found a large polyclad worm. Gross. 

moved the survivors to the Pico, now I need to make a worm trap. Fun. 

2ADC30A2-1FE9-4C8B-9F68-775F1D460BA5.thumb.jpeg.ff920a53fc4461b2b9955a0735903d21.jpeg

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

That carpet of Zoa's is just crazy lol. Pico is starting off well as well. 

Ohhhhh,that can be a problem !!! How is that the one you found ? 

Thats a pic from the googles. It’s been haunting me, knowing that bugger is in there, and likely has been for months! 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 7:40 AM, shaner014 said:

Good questions!

I have been running the socks up until this weekend, only out of necessity since the inTank aquatic media racks are just now being shipped. I intend to run the inTank media rack in the first chamber with filter floss, then chemi-pure blue, then brightwell bio-cubes. Second chamber has my IM Mini Max Desktop reactor, this will eventually run bio-pellets down the road, it’ll run GFO as needed in the meantime to combat nuisance algae phases. The Cad-Lights PLS-50 Elite 2 is also in the middle chamber. This required a modification to fit, involving grinding away about 2mm of non-structural acrylic all the way around the skimmer. I wanted a strong skimmer to eventually pull the bio-pellet film and to potentially push fish stocking levels. This probably isn’t advisable for most people (the overstocking). The last chamber has my neo-therm heater, XPAqua Duetto ATO sensor and return line, and MightyJet.

Ive yet to see an AIO where the “stock” setup is at all ideal. Tweaking and upgrading are almost always necessary for stability and long term successes.

@shaner014 what did you use to shave down the acrylic? 

• 1 year later...