Innovative Marine Aquariums

What type of algae is this?

Zachary Hart

I don't even think you'll have to resort to peroxide treatments if you take care of the rest.   :)

(Peroxide is usually considered a first aid tool, not a controlled medication, so it's usually widely available along with so-called "rubbing alcohol"...surprising you can't find it anywhere or need any  special permission to get it.)

Zachary Hart

Just purchased a red leg hermit crab,to test to see whether they're any good at cleaning the hair algae. Within the first 2 nights he's cleaned half the tank from hair algae

• Like 1
On 1/6/2019 at 5:28 AM, Zachary Hart said:

Just purchased a red leg hermit crab,to test to see whether they're any good at cleaning the hair algae. Within the first 2 nights he's cleaned half the tank from hair algae

Be sure to provide a couple of empty shells for him to change if needed/wanted.  Otherwise he may take out your snails (though he may do that anyway lol).

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Be sure to provide a couple of empty shells for him to change if needed/wanted.  Otherwise he may take out your snails (though he may do that anyway lol).

The issue is that various hermits often prefer certain types of snail shell to move into. For instance; my Blue Legs seem to prefer Cerith shells, while my Scarlets seem to like small whelk shells. One of my Blue Legs recently murdred one of my Spiny Astrea, stayed in that shell for a couple of days, then moved back into it’s old whelk shell. Guess the Astrea didn’t fit well enough.

2 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

The issue is that various hermits often prefer certain types of snail shell to move into. For instance; my Blue Legs seem to prefer Cerith shells, while my Scarlets seem to like small whelk shells. One of my Blue Legs recently murdred one of my Spiny Astrea, stayed in that shell for a couple of days, then moved back into it’s old whelk shell. Guess the Astrea didn’t fit well enough.

Plus hermits can be buttheads anyway lol.

• 2 weeks later...