inTank Media Baskets

Restocking a 30g Nuvo.

Telathas

After rehoming a bunch of my fish a while back when I took a small break from the hobby, I am looking to restock my 30g Nuvo. Currently the only inhabitants are a hi fin goby, two peppermint pistol shrimp as well as an emerald crab and some snails.

I've been looking at some fish lists from my LFS and some fish that have caught my eye are:

Yellow Corris Wrasse

Orchid Dottyback

Blue-Green Chromis

Firefish Goby

Coral Beauty Angel

The ones I'm interested in the most are the Orchid Dottyback and the wrasse. I know that the yellow choris wrasse is a bit on the bigger side but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with keeping them in a smaller nano tank like a 30g. Would I be pushing my stocking or causing territory issues by getting the dottyback, the wrasse and the chromis?

I would vote down the orchid dottyback.  That was the last fish I added to a biocube (ywg and 2 clowns before).  It picked the hell out of 2 cleaner shrimp I added later but they were able to hide and eventually the dottyback let them come out in the open.  Now I have a larger tank and added a Midas Blenny.  The dottyback is still terrorizing it 5 days later.  I’m worried it’s going to do the same thing to every new addition.

The wrasse will outgrow a 30, you could get a yellow fang blenny as a replacement. The blenny looks similar and will be out in the water column.

Orchid dottybacks are usually less territorial than pictochromis, but add it later on to avoid issues with other fish. Firefish are nice, generally more timid so add it first.

Imo dwarf angels do better in larger setups too, but it could work. Of course there’s also the risk they’ll go after coral.

If the yellow corris wrasse will outgrow a 30, would a carpenter wrasse be any better or would it also outgrow it eventually? I know that sixline wrasses have sort of an aggressive attitude, but if I added the orchid dottyback and the sixline/other wrasse at the same time, would they get together well? Or would I need to introduce one first and then the other.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, Telathas said:

If the yellow corris wrasse will outgrow a 30, would a carpenter wrasse be any better or would it also outgrow it eventually? I know that sixline wrasses have sort of an aggressive attitude, but if I added the orchid dottyback and the sixline/other wrasse at the same time, would they get together well? Or would I need to introduce one first and then the other.

My orchid was fine for a year but now the sixline is her ***** and anything that dare look at her rock pile (except the clowns..they got anenome power).

When I had a Midas though I had the opposite problem and he beat the crap out of everything.

Def don't add a orchid and firefish together.

Mixing semi aggressive fish long term in nanos is tricky as any day one can decide the whole tank belongs to them.