Tangina20

Random fish deaths, possible maroon attack?

Tangina20

I have a 40b with a maroon clown and a watchman goby. The last two fish I had were a damsel (lasted 3 days) and a six line (lasted 3 weeks). After looking at every option on what is going wrong with newly introduced fish my best guess is the clownfish attacked. The symptoms of both fish were gasping for air and they both died within a day of the symptoms. My clown attacks my hands but I’ve never seen aggression towards other fish, the clown and sixline literally swam together All day long like they were friends. I had no major parameter problems and my clown and watchman are complely Fine which makes me think there was no parameter issue or disease. The wrasse was bigger and faster than the clown I don’t see why it would have gotten attacked. Is my clown being bad when I’m not looking?? Why I didn’t see any visible marks frock attacks, why would there be gasping for air? Please help me get to the bottom of this!

picture of wrasse in final moments 

BBBAF55D-5045-44D2-9D4A-F71D6B7A64CF.png

specore

Probably so, maroons are extremely aggressive. The six line hiding at the surface certainly looks like a fish that is being bullied. 

• Like 1

Tangina20
13 minutes ago, specore said:

Probably so, maroons are extremely aggressive. The six line hiding at the surface certainly looks like a fish that is being bullied. 

Do you think the maroon could only be attacking at night? I didn’t notice any torn fins.

Clown79

Is the clown chasing them stressing them out?

It's possible that it could be attacking at night or when you haven't seen it occur.

Tangina20
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is the clown chasing them stressing them out?

It's possible that it could be attacking at night or when you haven't seen it occur.

They swam next to each other a lot but never saw aggression, maybe following it around stressed them out? I didn’t see and torn fins or signs of foul play

Jesterrace

Sometimes aggression is more subtle, shadow and bump behavior when it is repeated is a sign of aggression (think passive aggressive for fish).  I had a little butthead of a snowflake Occ that liked to do that as time went on and a Yellow Tang that started out that way with my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel.  Clowns in general are jerks once established and honestly, I wouldn't attempt to EVER put a Maroon, Clarki, Cinnamon or Tomato Clownfish in my tanks unless they were the only fish I was planning on adding.  Stick to Occ or Percula varieties and you will have better luck.