Christopher Marks

2 Gallon Pico Reef Jar - Snail Kingdom ūüźĆ

Christopher Marks
7 hours ago, seabass said:

It's impressive how resilient our tanks can be.  Your low maintenance approach might actually have some benefits.  I feel that much of what we do, to try to make our tanks pretty, can set them back in ways (pretty and healthy aren't always the same).  But it is nice when things are looking good.  I hope that the maturity that your tank has achieved helps make your jar flourish going forward.

I was thinking about this dynamic yesterday. We are trying to keep our reefs cleaner than nature would, with less biodiversity to boot. A tall order, going against nature ūüėÖ. Definitely a delicate game we‚Äôre playing.¬†

• Like 1

debbeach13

Hopefully if we win. The livestock also wins. 

• Like 2

Christopher Marks

Oh, I forgot to mention, last night I observed 3 Dwarf Planaxis snails cruising around! These were from my original Reef Cleaners snail order, I chose them because they were so small and had interesting shells, something fun and tiny to observe in this little reef. Of all the snails, these ones have endured! https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/dwarf-planaxis-detail

They cruise the rocks and the sand bed, making tiny contributions to the algae effort. When I was dumping my water change water yesterday, I spotted two more that had been siphoned out with some sand. I wrongly assumed they were goners.

• Like 2

vlangel

If you do not have the proper sized sieve you can strain rotifer through coffee filters also.  That is what I did when I raised clownfish larvae.

• Like 3

Christopher Marks

Well, the pico reef jar was no worse for the wear after the phyto and rotifer dosing, I even added another 0.5ml of both. I figured the nutrients would be welcomed after the 100% water change earlier. I tossed the rotifers after that, just to be safe, but I plan to dose some more of the chilled phytoplankton in another day or two. 

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting @NoOneLikesADryTang and @EfrainChicagoDeepdish at their home! I got to see all their awesome reef tanks, and meet their cute doggo too. They sent me home with all sorts of goodies for the pico reef jar, so generous!

DFC02393-6459-4632-B5FA-574563422E7D.jpeg

More zoanthids for the collection! Blue and red hornets, bam bams, and yellow brick roads. They’re so vibrant, all awesome colorations. Additionally a purple plating sponge, and a new cleanup crew: a cerith snail, a margarita snail, an asterea snail, and a little blue hermit crab.

Everything is settling in well so far, more photos to come!

• Like 8

debbeach13

This is fantastic. I love this community!

38 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting @NoOneLikesADryTang and @EfrainChicagoDeepdish at their home! I got to see all their awesome reef tanks, and meet their cute doggo too. They sent me home with all sorts of goodies for the pico reef jar, so generous!

• Like 1

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

It was great meeting you and your wife! I look forward to watching those all grow into colonies in your jar! 

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

This is fantastic. I love this community!

I could not agree more, Deb. I love this little slice of the interwebz as well! 

• Like 3

CD_Scapes
On 3/1/2021 at 11:24 AM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It was great meeting you and your wife! I look forward to watching those all grow into colonies in your jar! 

I could not agree more, Deb. I love this little slice of the interwebz as well! 

I love reading about other members helping each other out, it really makes this hobby the best hobby out there. 

On 2/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Oh, I forgot to mention, last night I observed 3 Dwarf Planaxis snails cruising around! These were from my original Reef Cleaners snail order, I chose them because they were so small and had interesting shells, something fun and tiny to observe in this little reef. Of all the snails, these ones have endured! https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/dwarf-planaxis-detail

They cruise the rocks and the sand bed, making tiny contributions to the algae effort. When I was dumping my water change water yesterday, I spotted two more that had been siphoned out with some sand. I wrongly assumed they were goners.

I've heard that the dwarf planaxis can live in extreme anoxic conditions, they are such a cool snail and I hope they come back in stock soon so I can add some to my tidepool

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

After these new additions, I've been observing my pico reef jar more than ever, watching the snails and crab get to work on the algae in the tank, and the zoanthid frags opening up. I am completely amazed by the new cleanup crew, and all the work they're doing! Each snail seems to have their own preferences and appetites for different areas of the tank, they seem to be a good trio for this pico reef, and the blue hermit has been a gentle soul so far.

The pico jar was started with cultured 'Real Reef Rock', and while I enjoyed the pink and purple hues of the man-made rock during the young days of the tank, it eventually grew a bit of an algae haze as the mysterious blue-green cyano and then eventually hair algae took over. After all the hair algae ran its course and burned out during my 2020 year of no water changes, what's been left behind is a light fuzz on the rocks, and a few errant strings of hair algae. The very top edge of the waterline of the jar also had one last stubborn patch of hair algae on the glass, that I just couldn't seem to scrape off.

A54D8788-3780-4AEB-951D-B20330606E99.jpeg

The Asterea snail is definitely the champion cleaner, making the biggest impact on the reef. It has been turning the rocks back to their original pink and purple hues, and I'm finding more coralline algae spots building up naturally on the rocks. The asterea snail definitely has the biggest and broadest appetite, and poops like crazy too. It eventually found its away onto the glass of the jar, and has nearly decimated the last patches of hair algae. It's awesome to watch it happen on the glass side! The Margarita snail is pretty active too, but seems more selective, avoiding certain areas, less into the 'fuzz' on the rocks but cleaning the glass. The cerith snail is a bit of a clutz, and has been moving my unsecured zoanthid frags around at night. Less active than the others, but it seems to be more focused on the sand bed, which is ideal. I think a nassarius snail would be the ultimate final member, to keep the sand bed more actively stirred up.

C71F1EFA-0295-45B0-92F7-CE082D465A54.jpeg

A view from above. This was a day after adding the new zoanthid frags and cleanup crew. The new Yellow Brick Road and Bam Bam zoas frags can be seen¬†opened up, while the red and blue hornets were¬†still closed up. I gave all the zoanthids a dip before adding them to the jar, but the hornets went too long when I got distracted away, and they‚Äôve been angry at me ever since. ūüė£ The¬†reds are showing signs of opening now, so hopefully they settle in soon. I will not be so casual about coral dip timing in the future.

The jar is just teeming with life, I’ve never seen so many amphipods out and about, copepods and hydroids jittering around. I’m sure they’re enjoying the phytoplankton supplement.

• Like 7

debbeach13

Look at that. Teaming with life. It is fun to hear how much you are enjoying getting the jar back in shape. 

• Like 3

SaltyGallon

It sounds like you've got the world's best CUC haha! I bet its dead satisfying to have it looking ship shape again. A suprising amount of people don't dose phyto... In my experience it's great for all manner of pods and coral!

• Like 2

Tritone
On 12/20/2018 at 11:59 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Motion-Still-2018-12-20.GIF

Wow, when you said ‚Äúnano‚ÄĚ you meant it. How is this getting on?

I’m told the smaller the harder…..