Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 Gallon Pico Reef Jar - Snail Kingdom 🐌

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks
On 4/18/2019 at 8:23 AM, seabass said:

When I had aiptasia, I used multiple peppermint shrimp, then gave them away afterwards.  It's worth asking your LFS if they are willing to sell you a couple of shrimp and later return them for some store credit.  If not, see if they are at least willing to take them back for free.

I think this will be my approach, I'll ask next time I go in! Hopefully the shrimp are not too difficult to catch and remove haha. I wonder if I still have my old fish net packed away somewhere? 🤔

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

The more I look at this jar the more I want to put it on an automated Lazy Susan.

🤤

is the lid just resting on the rim (so it could spin?)or is it screwed down? 

• Wow 1
Christopher Marks
10 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

The more I look at this jar the more I want to put it on an automated Lazy Susan.

🤤

is the lid just resting on the rim (so it could spin?)or is it screwed down? 

I really do lament that I cannot see the backside of the jar, I recently thought about scooting it forward on the cabinet a little more. The TV beside it has a swivel base, so I push it out of the way to take a peek around the backside on the right. The lid light probably has enough wiggle room to 'swivel' with assistance, but I have the power cord bundled with the heater, air line, and temp probe lines, they wouldn't move as easily. All that being said... a lazy susan could still be worthwhile, it wouldn't need to swivel 360 or even 180 degrees, just 45 or so in either direction. Hmm... 🤔

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
21 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I really do lament that I cannot see the backside of the jar, I recently thought about scooting it forward on the cabinet a little more. The TV beside it has a swivel base, so I push it out of the way to take a peek around the backside on the right. The lid light probably has enough wiggle room to 'swivel' with assistance, but I have the power cord bundled with the heater, air line, and temp probe lines, they wouldn't move as easily. All that being said... a lazy susan could still be worthwhile, it wouldn't need to swivel 360 or even 180 degrees, just 45 or so in either direction. Hmm... 🤔

Maybe a “fixed” anchor point to hold the cords in place? Like to a wall or something. So if said jar does spin the lid will stay in place but the rest will merry-go-round.

I was thinking like one of the Jewelry lazy Susan’s that spin by themselves really slow... 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

When you commented on my thread I was like “OMG CM really has a tank!” 😱 I’ve wondered for years.  

I love this jar!  The lid/light is super sleek. As for stocking, I definitely think you could fit a Pom Pom and porcelain. And probably a shrimp or two too...maybe I’m getting carried away 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 6/11/2019 at 12:39 PM, Coinee said:

I think you owe us an update post 😉

Wow do I ever! This has been on my to-do list for over three weeks now! omgomgomg

I’ve been super busy building a new bottled beverage mixer business with my wife. It’s been a whirlwind of projects, we’re planning to launch in a few weeks.

The pico reef jar is doing spectacular, we made a few coral frag additions back in late May and in June. 95% Water changes still happen every 18-21 days on average, and I top off freshwater every 5 or 6 days. I’ll post a more thorough update soon and leave with this teaser. 🙂

54157046-BA0E-454A-8DE2-05C3F42AC18A.jpeg 

• Like 16
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is great, been looking at tanks for yrs but wanted to be able to move it on  a whim if the wife wanted to. The going out of town thing was another problem too.  I think I can squeeze this on in, though have to do the light bit different.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sean86114 said:

dang!! what a pimp pico jar!!! I am heading to walmart ( Canada) hopefully they carry them. if so I am gonna order the picopro led 

You are gonna order just the light ? Isn't it like $180 for it ? 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, Reefkid88 said:

You are gonna order just the light ? Isn't it like $180 for it ? 

180$ is cheap... Why would anyone want to skimp on their lights.... Just one coral can easily cost more than 180$ especially considering that next day air shipping is about 50$ alone. It might be overkill for a goldfish tank I suppose.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 11/2/2019 at 12:30 AM, fulltang said:

@Christopher Marks How's the light holding up? Also curious how high your temps got this summer, and how you continued to handle cooling?

Really quite well, I love the PicoPro light! Summer temperatures ended up being no trouble at all, our house air conditioning was set at 77-78F, and with the little cooling desktop fan pointing at the jar, I don’t think it ever went over 81F. I add freshwater top off every 4-5 days still. I could have reduced the water level a little to help reduce heat transfer, but it never became a problem. Having the heater and small cooling fan controlled by the Inkbird thermostat is essential, it’s worry free now.

Life has been crazy busy the past few months with the new business taking up my time. I must admit my little pico reef jar hasn’t been at its best lately, due to my slacking on water changes. All the zoanthids are happy as can be, but my LPS corals have been receding, they’re irritated by something. Hair algae (I think) has taken root all over the tank as well, something I need to address somehow. It started as a hitchhiker algae on one coral frag that I let go, and after I disrupted it removing some during the last water change, it started to spread fast.

I added a peppermint shrimp to the tank back in late July, to address the growing aiptasia anemone population. It hides all the time, but within the first week it had eaten all but 1 large anemone that still remains. I was worried it had died weeks ago and caused the algae outbreak, but just yesterday I saw a fresh molt on the rocks! I’ve never managed to see it in action, it has the ultimate hiding spot.

I’ll try to post some new photos soon, even with the algae troubles. 

• Like 6
On 11/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Really quite well, I love the PicoPro light! Summer temperatures ended up being no trouble at all, our house air conditioning was set at 77-78F, and with the little cooling desktop fan pointing at the jar, I don’t think it ever went over 81F. I add freshwater top off every 4-5 days still. I could have reduced the water level a little to help reduce heat transfer, but it never became a problem. Having the heater and small cooling fan controlled by the Inkbird thermostat is essential, it’s worry free now.

Life has been crazy busy the past few months with the new business taking up my time. I must admit my little pico reef jar hasn’t been at its best lately, due to my slacking on water changes. All the zoanthids are happy as can be, but my LPS corals have been receding, they’re irritated by something. Hair algae (I think) has taken root all over the tank as well, something I need to address somehow. It started as a hitchhiker algae on one coral frag that I let go, and after I disrupted it removing some during the last water change, it started to spread fast.

I added a peppermint shrimp to the tank back in late July, to address the growing aiptasia anemone population. It hides all the time, but within the first week it had eaten all but 1 large anemone that still remains. I was worried it had died weeks ago and caused the algae outbreak, but just yesterday I saw a fresh molt on the rocks! I’ve never managed to see it in action, it has the ultimate hiding spot.

I’ll try to post some new photos soon, even with the algae troubles. 

I had great luck with an army of colonista snails in my tank they seem to keep the hair algae at bay. They are very interesting little critters coming out at night and covering the rocks and glass. I was always worried about a potential die off but it has never happened. Also I noticed a nice effect with the rock wall. Bubble algae seem to take off behind it where there was very little light(out of sight) and it must keep the nutrients in check.

For the first several years I actually kept a small bag of activated carbon in the back in the stream of air bubbles. That did keep the tank very clean but I wanted the coral to grow faster so I focused on letting the tank get a little more dirty in between water changes. 

There are many options to successfully run a pico. One thing I've found that is probably quite obvious is that a 75% water change is far less stressful on the coral than a 100%. My SPS hardly even slimes up with a 75%. I have been doing 75% every 1-2 weeks with the best results.  

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...