Christopher Marks

2 Gallon Pico Reef Jar - Amphipod Kingdom 💧

Chris, have you considered dosing phytoplankton a few hours before a water change?  The zoas (and other softies) might get some direct benefit, and it should help the pod populations.

Although, a potential gotcha can be that big amphipods can irritate zoas (I wonder if that is happening to your).  Pods were never an issue in my jar, but I didn't have any large amphipods in it.

13 hours ago, MRL said:

Too bad every time I try looking ar reefsmart.com, I get error say the site doesn't exist 

9 hours ago, gregpxc said:

I'm seeing this too. Maybe the site is down for maintenance and they didn't build out a 404 page? Either way, I'm very interested in these lights and this whole idea. A single shrimp reef sounds lovely for my desk.

I'll get in touch with @ReefSmart and let them know their website is down!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I'll get in touch with @ReefSmart and let them know their website is down!

they're setting up a new domain host and have run into some technical glitches. I PM'd them and that's what they replied with.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, seabass said:

Chris, have you considered dosing phytoplankton a few hours before a water change?  The zoas (and other softies) might get some direct benefit, and it should help the pod populations.

Although, a potential gotcha can be that big amphipods can irritate zoas (I wonder if that is happening to your).  Pods were never an issue in my jar, but I didn't have any large amphipods in it.

I have considered it, but at the moment I'm enjoying the ease of feeding Coral Frenzy powder, which I believe can contribute to really small filter feeders as well, they say the particle size is 53 to 1700 microns. I haven't tried spot feeding the zoanthids or ricordea quite like the LPS coral yet, but I will before tomorrow's water change.

I'll have to keep an eye on the big amphipods, I haven't found them anywhere near the zoanthids in my observations, but they do crawl all over the rocks. I imagine the corals manage to eat some of them, but wow they're multiplying fast with few predators.

• Like 1

You're probably right; I think most pods will consume Coral Frenzy, so phyto could be redundant.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Friendly said:

they're setting up a new domain host and have run into some technical glitches. I PM'd them and that's what they replied with.  🙂 

For anyone subbed the site is back up and looking good!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I have considered it, but at the moment I'm enjoying the ease of feeding Coral Frenzy powder, which I believe can contribute to really small filter feeders as well, they say the particle size is 53 to 1700 microns. I haven't tried spot feeding the zoanthids or ricordea quite like the LPS coral yet, but I will before tomorrow's water change.

I'll have to keep an eye on the big amphipods, I haven't found them anywhere near the zoanthids in my observations, but they do crawl all over the rocks. I imagine the corals manage to eat some of them, but wow they're multiplying fast with few predators.

I have the samw thing going on, absolutely huge amphipods moving about in broad daylight, they even chase eachother around kind of like happy street rats 😂 but no even the largest amphipods have never touched my zoas or palys, infact they have been living and breeding beneath the polyp canopies! Ill have to take some macros for you soon. 

18 hours ago, seabass said:

You're probably right; I think most pods will consume Coral Frenzy, so phyto could be redundant.

Things like feather dusters tend to rely on phyto more than others but usually reef roids/ coral frenzy does super well for filterfeeding corals and other critters

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheRope said:

I have the samw thing going on, absolutely huge amphipods moving about in broad daylight, they even chase eachother around kind of like happy street rats 😂 but no even the largest amphipods have never touched my zoas or palys, infact they have been living and breeding beneath the polyp canopies! Ill have to take some macros for you soon. 

Haha that’s a good way to describe them! They seem rather playful, chasing each other in and out of their burrows. The largest ones must be at least 1/4” long now, they swim around the most! Glad to hear they haven’t bothered anything in your reef bowl either.

I am considering trying an even more powerful air pump to increase circulation. The current setup provides visible flow, but I can’t help but be curious if a little more would help. 🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Haha that’s a good way to describe them! They seem rather playful, chasing each other in and out of their burrows. The largest ones must be at least 1/4” long now, they swim around the most! Glad to hear they haven’t bothered anything in your reef bowl either.

I am considering trying an even more powerful air pump to increase circulation. The current setup provides visible flow, but I can’t help but be curious if a little more would help. 🤔

I have some so big that the Scooter won’t even touch them! Maybe it’s because you can see their little faces. 😂

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

18 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Chris, are there any 'small' pico pumps that can run outside a tank that would give you the circulation you need? or mebe put a small pump into a bucket of water and use that as a heatsink while you have a line in/out from the jar?

That's an interesting idea, I like the external heat sink concept. For simplicity sake though, upgrading the air pump should be trivial, it's currently only running a tiny one at 24 gallons per hour. It's the same air pump that Reef Smart has found success with in his reef jar, so I know it's well proven, but a larger pump is a small investment, I think it's worth experimenting with to find out. Mainly I'm curious to see if the zoanthids respond to more flow.

what a great build chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, Friendly said:

Chris, are there any 'small' pico pumps that can run outside a tank that would give you the circulation you need? or mebe put a small pump into a bucket of water and use that as a heatsink while you have a line in/out from the jar?

That is a very good idea! And it would be hardly noticeable with 2 small tubes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ReefSmart said:

That is a very good idea! And it would be hardly noticeable with 2 small tubes. 

yup, 2 lines...almost the same as the what's needed for the airstone.

and further to the idea of bending an acrylic pipe/tube to the shape you need, what I had in my head is stuff like those ADA parts made out of glass.

• Like 1