SaltCritters.com

Mount for AI Hydra on biocube

mpekoske

I have seen a bunch of Biocube’s with AI Hydra lights but I’m am trying to find the mounts everyone has been using... both tank mounts from ai I sound like the won’t work due to the rim on the tank... thank you for any help you can provide

4 minutes ago, mpekoske said:

I have seen a bunch of Biocube’s with AI Hydra lights but I’m am trying to find the mounts everyone has been using... both tank mounts from ai I sound like the won’t work due to the rim on the tank... thank you for any help you can provide

I just made my own mounts yesterday it only costed me $25 to make 2 of them

B6D438BF-2114-47E5-8F9A-86E335E62521.jpeg

D73CEAFE-65C4-467B-867A-C34BB46313D4.jpeg

• Like 2
On 12/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, Tangina20 said:

I just made my own mounts yesterday it only costed me $25 to make 2 of them

B6D438BF-2114-47E5-8F9A-86E335E62521.jpeg

D73CEAFE-65C4-467B-867A-C34BB46313D4.jpeg

LOVE the mounts! How did you attach them to the stand? 

6 hours ago, luckie1966 said:

The Solid Mount for ai prime still works with  the rim on biocube

Those are Hydra’s, not Primes, so the Prime mount wont fit the light.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

LOVE the mounts! How did you attach them to the stand? 

I used the conduit straps and it held it study to the stand you can just slide it up or down to adjust the height!

The only issue I see is partial blockage of the fan, BUT, i suspect it’s not significant enough to cause heat issues, and the fact it’s a piece of aluminum may actually act like a heat sink and make heat exchange more efficient. Well done.

24 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

The only issue I see is partial blockage of the fan, BUT, i suspect it’s not significant enough to cause heat issues, and the fact it’s a piece of aluminum may actually act like a heat sink and make heat exchange more efficient. Well done.

Thank you, I thought about the fan issue as well so I went with longer bolts to hold on the light to allow around 3/4 inch space to allow airflow between light and mount. If anyone is concerned with this issue Home Depot has 10/32 bolts in a lot of different lengths I would recommend 3” instead of 2 1/2 if you are concerned!

My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the input. I’ll be replacing the 1/2” square u-tubes I’m using now, starting tomorrow!! They work ok, but your design is so much cleaner and will make h2o changes much simpler.

11 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the input. I’ll be replacing the 1/2” square u-tubes I’m using now, starting tomorrow!! They work ok, but your design is so much cleaner and will make h2o changes much simpler.

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions 

Just went to HD and couldn’t find 90degree conduit long enough to fill my need, so that begs the question: did you bend it yourself? Looking at 1/2” conduit as that should be heavy enough to hold this Hydra 26 without drooping. Figuring 3’ should be long enough.

7 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Just went to HD and couldn’t find 90degree conduit long enough to fill my need, so that begs the question: did you bend it yourself? Looking at 1/2” conduit as that should be heavy enough to hold this Hydra 26 without drooping. Figuring 3’ should be long enough.

The workers at HD cut it and bent it for me I used the 3/4 inch it should be big enough to feed the wiring though.

• Like 1

Tangina20: Thought u might get a kick outta this: i went to HD this a.m. to get my mount supplies. They said: “we don’t bend emt but we have pipe benders for sale. I won’t say what my reply was but it did involve expletives, lol. So i went to lowes. They don’t bend emt either, but a very helpful salesman said: “ grab a bender, do it yourself and put the bender back in the rack.” So, i did! Now that’s customer service!

8 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Tangina20: Thought u might get a kick outta this: i went to HD this a.m. to get my mount supplies. They said: “we don’t bend emt but we have pipe benders for sale. I won’t say what my reply was but it did involve expletives, lol. So i went to lowes. They don’t bend emt either, but a very helpful salesman said: “ grab a bender, do it yourself and put the bender back in the rack.” So, i did! Now that’s customer service!

That’s awesome! I think it definitely depends on who you talk to i asked 3 different people and only 1 did it for me lol. Post pictures when you’re done!