inTank Media Baskets

Prepping for TBS live rock with only one tank?

fulltang

Hey all, I'm in the process of setting up my first tank, a fluval evo 13.5. I've decided on 10-15lbs of TBS live rock and sand, and I'm trying to collect all the best practices I can before I commit. I have zero saltwater experience and the thought of killing $250 of live rock is extremely stressful!

I plan on following the instructions on TBS's site, but I was wondering if anyone has tips for the most reliable way of executing this process with only one tank? Should I unpack the rock and load it directly into my tank, or should I have a Rubbermaid with heater and circulation pump ready to go?

I was going to hold off on ordering an ro/di filter as I was leaning towards live rock, but I think I should play it safe to order one and have a garbage can of salt water pre mixed in case I need to perform a number of large water changes. 

Another area in which I'm looking for some advice is timing. I currently work full time Monday through Friday, should I schedule time off to ensure that I can act quickly, something like a 5 day weekend?

Thanks everyone!

Are you getting their “The Package” or just ordering live rock and sand? 

Either way, you should have your tank ready to go. And you should be ready to do water changes. So if that means you are going to mix up your own water on an ongoing basis you better get the RODI unit. 

Your goal is to minimize die-off - but there will be some so you’ll be need deal with ammonia. So have some Prime on hand, an ammonia alert badge/test kits, etc, and be ready to do lots of water changes. 

@lkoechle had a 100 Days of Nanos contest tank with The Package. It was awesome! Do a search and read through it. It’s bound to help you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Are you getting their “The Package” or just ordering live rock and sand? 

Either way, you should have your tank ready to go. And you should be ready to do water changes. So if that means you are going to mix up your own water on an ongoing basis you better get the RODI unit. 

Your goal is to minimize die-off - but there will be some so you’ll be need deal with ammonia. So have some Prime on hand, an ammonia alert badge/test kits, etc, and be ready to do lots of water changes. 

@lkoechle had a 100 Days of Nanos contest tank with The Package. It was awesome! Do a search and read through it. It’s bound to help you.

Thanks I'll check out that thread. Would you advise watching it like a hawk throughout the day? Trying to get a sense for how much time I need to request off from work to get it done right. Also does the die off smell bad when it's in the tank? It's in my bedroom so I'm slightly concerned about that too.

Well, I can give you my tips. I've used TBS, and wouldn't go any other way, after it. I did 50% water changes every day, for 3 days. Day 1, ammonia was between 0.5 and 0.25 ppm. After water change undetectable. The next 2 days, I had no detectable ammonia, but did 50% water changes just to be extra careful. After that, never any ammonia. Also, I never had any die off. Just pick it up as soon as possible, put it in new water (not what came in the box) and be prepared for a few days with water changes. If you can't get RODI before the rock comes, just buy distilled from the grocery store.

• Like 3

No, it shouldn’t smell. 

As far as time off of work - just make sure you can pick it up as soon as possible once it arrives and get it into your tank as Ray says. And then make sure you have time to do your daily water changes. You won’t need to stare at the tank and monitor it all day long - but you’ll want to, trust me on that! 

TBS rock is sooooooo awesome for the life.  When I finally move into a house and am able to do a proper larger tank build I plan on ordering from  them again.  Last time I did was about 8 years ago and it was amazeballs.  I am a weird invert lover though so it was especially fun for me.  I'll take mystery worms, crabs and other life I can't explain over generic shop coral and fish any day. 😄

Take lots of pics!

• Like 2

Yeah check out my thread.  I was actually going to rez it today because I was planning on updating. lol  I LOVE the Package.  Get the small one though for 10 gallon.  They gave me soooo much rock and were amazing.  As for putting it all together, the package will come in two shipments.  The first is your base rock and sand.  I would put the sand in first and watch out for clingfish, I got Mr. Cling in my sand and Mrs. Cling was in my rocks.  Such an amazing fish.  I'm really sad I sold themm especially because I did not expect to set up another tank within two weeks...    Then just add prime.  @jedimasterben suggested that route for me, and worked out well.  I had an ammonia alert in the tank and I pretty much zero die off.  I did do daily water changes for a bit I think? Its in my thread.  We documented the whole ordeal.  Because it is a lot of work but 100% worth it.  

We've already decided when we establish a predator tank, we're going with TBS again.  

If you open a bag though and it smells (we had a bag of dead sponges) don't put it in.  And try to identify baddies (like mantis shrimp or gorilla crabs or baby stone crabs) as you're putting the rock in.  It'll be easier to remove them than once the rock is in the tank and you'll be aware of any pistol shrimps (awesome) that also might have hiked in.  I'm super jealous. Its so much fun.  Like ultimate reef christmas.

20 hours ago, fulltang said:

Thanks I'll check out that thread. Would you advise watching it like a hawk throughout the day? Trying to get a sense for how much time I need to request off from work to get it done right. Also does the die off smell bad when it's in the tank? It's in my bedroom so I'm slightly concerned about that too.

and you'll want to watch it all day not because you have to but because its too damn cool not to

• Like 2

Shouldn't need anything too large.  Five gallon bucket should suffice for mixing fresh batches of saltwater, as after you add the rock and sand you will probably only have around 10 gallons of water in the tank. 

I am jealous!! TBS rock is what I am going with in my next setups. I love hitchhikers, even bad ones. I did the gulf live rock before and it had a lot of cool stuff but TBS is even better since they ship in water.