Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

group of Wrasses in a 30L nuvo?

If_Only

So I've decided to do a nuvo 30L for my first tank (my first tank that will be my own). I will have the IM ghost skimmer and one media caddy, for now I will have 3 korelias, and it will be a mixed reef. I know two fish I LOVE, and I also love wrasses, my stocking list will be below

1 yellow clown goby (I love this fish)

1 Watchmen and shrimp pair (Also love this combo)

1 cleaner shrimp

2-3 narrsarius snails

2-3 Trochus snails

Possible stocking

Some kind of flasher wrasse

I really love the carpenters wrasse and was wondering if I could do a group of wrasses in a 30L, I've heard you have have mixed genders or different species together, don't know what to do. Remember they will be the only free swimming fish, is this possible if not are there any other wrasses I could have in a group (preferable not to to to pricey) or as a solo? Thoughts??

Alot of fish that are of the same species can't be mixed, some fish that are the same shape or colour don't fair well together.

Not sure if wrasse can be kept peacefully together.

48 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Alot of fish that are of the same species can't be mixed, some fish that are the same shape or colour don't fair well together.

Not sure if wrasse can be kept peacefully together.

Alright, thanks for the reply. Any other opinions?

3 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

I always love a Six Line Wrasse.  Such cute personalities (mostly).

What do you have in your IM 30l? maybe some photos, I love sixlines but I've heard there D**ks, how do you like the 30l. I say in your bio, I'm not a creep.

hedgeclipper2
56 minutes ago, If_Only said:

What do you have in your IM 30l? maybe some photos, I love sixlines but I've heard there D**ks, how do you like the 30l. I say in your bio, I'm not a creep.

I only have a clown and a green chromis. I stock light and focus mostly on corals. 

I love the 30l, such a visually appealing tank due to the length, but I am starting to outgrow it so I am upgrading to a Red Sea Reefer 350 and will probably add 4 fish for a total of 6. 

Ill take some pics tomorrow when the lights are on and post 

There's typically no problem mixing multiple single male wrasses of different species with two exceptions - Pseudocheilinus and Macropharyngodon. 

Do not mix males of the same species together (i.e. 2 male carpenters. 1 male carpenter, 1 male mccoskers is fine.)

I have successfully kept McCoskers Flasher, Carpenter's Flasher, Blue Flasher, Diamondtail Flasher, Pintail Fairy, and various Leopard wrasses together. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

I always love a Six Line Wrasse.  Such cute personalities (mostly).

Cute Personalities?  Yeah, until they get well established and snap.  Ticking Timebomb for Anger Issues.  I know a guy who services tanks and does trapping and removal and the fish he has had to remove from his client's tanks the most often is the 6 line wrasse, ranging from tanks of 30 gallons all the way up to 250 gallons for killing tankmates. @ The OP, that size tank is really pushing it for any wrasse outside of the Possum or Pink Streaked.  Flasher Wrasses may not be big in length but they do get stocky and are very active.  It's pushing it as is with just one.  If you had a larger tank and got a group of females and one male then it would work, but beyond that it's a heck of a gamble.  Generally the rule of thumb for wrasses is to mix one with another of a different type (ie A Flasher, A Fairy, A Halichoeres, A Leopard) and stick to the generally peaceful varieties together.  

5 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

Cute Personalities?  Yeah, until they get well established and snap.  Ticking Timebomb for Anger Issues.  I know a guy who services tanks and does trapping and removal and the fish he has had to remove from his client's tanks the most often is the 6 line wrasse, ranging from tanks of 30 gallons all the way up to 250 gallons for killing tankmates. @ The OP, that size tank is really pushing it for any wrasse outside of the Possum or Pink Streaked.  Flasher Wrasses may not be big in length but they do get stocky and are very active.  It's pushing it as is with just one.  If you had a larger tank and got a group of females and one male then it would work, but beyond that it's a heck of a gamble.  Generally the rule of thumb for wrasses is to mix one with another of a different type (ie A Flasher, A Fairy, A Halichoeres, A Leopard) and stick to the generally peaceful varieties together.  

21 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

There's typically no problem mixing multiple single male wrasses of different species with two exceptions - Pseudocheilinus and Macropharyngodon. 

Do not mix males of the same species together (i.e. 2 male carpenters. 1 male carpenter, 1 male mccoskers is fine.)

I have successfully kept McCoskers Flasher, Carpenter's Flasher, Blue Flasher, Diamondtail Flasher, Pintail Fairy, and various Leopard wrasses together. 

I might do a JBJ 45, found a GREAT deal for one, so I feel the footprint is bit small for a wrasse, so I might skip them... sadly. But if I ever upgrade I will for sure have some wrasses.