Coral Vue Hydros

Official Mini Complete Tank Club

smiz

mariahranch
On 4/12/2019 at 9:05 PM, asting said:

Okay i'm building one. Have more photos of your wiring?

Also, anyone having issues with the heating? mine seems to dip a few degrees over night into the mid-lower 70s.

Power cord on left: cut tip off charger cord exposing red and black wire.

Black wire goes to first connection on left in adapter (comes attached to dimmer), which equals v- on IN terminal.

Red wire goes to second connection correlating with v+ also on IN terminal

The wire on the right is taking the power to the leds, you have to drill a hole in the dimmer box for this wire

143C7C7D-9382-42C3-AEB5-1F55857D93ED.jpeg

3EB21747-383D-4563-B0A6-56C9B248AAA2.jpeg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mariahranch said:

Power cord on left: cut tip off charger cord exposing red and black wire.

Black wire goes to first connection on left in adapter (comes attached to dimmer), which equals v- on IN terminal.

Red wire goes to second connection correlating with v+ also on IN terminal

The wire on the right is taking the power to the leds, you have to drill a hole in the dimmer box for this wire

143C7C7D-9382-42C3-AEB5-1F55857D93ED.jpeg

3EB21747-383D-4563-B0A6-56C9B248AAA2.jpeg

Thanks. Where does the driver get wired in? Do you have photos of the LEDS? Are you running all in series on the dimmer, or do you have some parallel outside of the dimmer?

mariahranch
On 4/12/2019 at 9:05 PM, asting said:

Okay i'm building one. Have more photos of your wiring?

Also, anyone having issues with the heating? mine seems to dip a few degrees over night into the mid-lower 70s.

Forgive my terrible soldering skills and explanations:

here is a pic of wiring on the heat sink. The positive wire from power supply from dimmer connects to the positive on any led, then wire the leds in series until you get to the last led connecting the negative of the last led to the negative on power supply. It may look a little confusing in the photo because one of the stars has connected wiring and the other has separate wiring. Please note, I really think this many less looks nice but definitely over kill, 2 RB and 1 NW would be more than adequate

2D1545B7-9AB2-4CBC-837A-9A90EF892EAC.jpeg

2 minutes ago, mariahranch said:

Forgive my terrible soldering skills and explanations:

here is a pic of wiring on the heat sink. The positive wire from power supply from dimmer connects to the positive on any led, then wire the leds in series until you get to the last led connecting the negative of the last led to the negative on power supply. It may look a little confusing in the photo because one of the stars has connected wiring and the other has separate wiring. Please note, I really think this many less looks nice but definitely over kill, 2 RB and 1 NW would be more than adequate

2D1545B7-9AB2-4CBC-837A-9A90EF892EAC.jpeg

Thanks! so where does the driver fit in?

mariahranch
2 minutes ago, asting said:

Thanks. Where does the driver get wired in? Do you have photos of the LEDS? Are you running all in series on the dimmer, or do you have some parallel outside of the dimmer?

I have all leds in one series on the dimmer because... that’s all I know how to make 🤣

here you can see the blue wire from driver is connected to negative on cord connecting to led and yellow is positive

pics of the other side in a moment

C6926D69-59CC-45E6-9FD1-F9D80E67E81E.jpeg

5A6FB5A6-01B9-47DC-A353-94E341E91D84.jpeg

82CC8959-9E9B-46D3-887A-D6CA4F47CB5C.jpeg

• Like 1
mariahranch

Here is the board flipped over. If you leave the adapter plugged in it’s easy to see where to solder the red and black wires from the driver. Yes, they connect to the IN terminal. The white wire connects to the right gate from this direction- note if you are looking at the board from the other way as when you will be soldering it’s the left gate. That connection is a pain in the rear and the hardest part of the whole project because that wire does not want to stick to that terminal! You basically need to get the solder underneath and all the way around that terminal before you try to attach the wire...

BB351317-6EA7-4FC4-B8D7-3043AB25669D.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks! I was thinking about a project box, but seems like everything just fits in the dimmer box! I gather what would be the Dimmer V out goes to the driver instead, so you rerouted internally.

edit: see the new post. Awesome!

• Like 1

So i'm having some

On 4/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, mariahranch said:

Here is the board flipped over. If you leave the adapter plugged in it’s easy to see where to solder the red and black wires from the driver. Yes, they connect to the IN terminal. The white wire connects to the right gate from this direction- note if you are looking at the board from the other way as when you will be soldering it’s the left gate. That connection is a pain in the rear and the hardest part of the whole project because that wire does not want to stick to that terminal! You basically need to get the solder underneath and all the way around that terminal before you try to attach the wire...

So I'm having a little trouble. The dimmer I received is a different layout than the one in your posts.

7HKNaOX.jpg

I've got it all wired in, except the white from the LED driver labelled "DIM"

I'm thinking it is where i circled in red, but holding the dim against this does not seem to work. maybe i just need to solder to get a better connection, but when testing with it held i just get 100% LED at all time.

VqrkIGd.jpg

EDIT: Think i may have it - think it was just a bad connection on the dim. seemed like i had ability to control (although a bit intermittent, to be expected becuase i was testing while holding the white dim wire in place and the out wires to the single connection LED. Going to solder that part up next - since blinding myself during the testing is making it difficult. Just adhered them this a.m., so assume it takes a bit for the thermal adhesive to cure. once it has and the leds stop dancing i'll wrap up this project.

Assuming I haven't destroyed the chip, it's a relatively clean little build:

LHxQmbU.jpg

Xsgviwd.jpg

Thanks for your help! I couldn't find hte smaller l series drivers, and think i ended up with an H, but made it fit.

mariahranch

Awesome! Love to see a fts when you’re done! I run mine at barely on and everything is doing great and it’s still super bright!

Glad the pics helped-when I reassembled the dimmer box after taking the pics the light was no longer dimming, just staying on at 100% which was way too much power. I bought a new dimmer to replace the 1st one and that corrected the issue

7 hours ago, mariahranch said:

Awesome! Love to see a fts when you’re done! I run mine at barely on and everything is doing great and it’s still super bright!

Glad the pics helped-when I reassembled the dimmer box after taking the pics the light was no longer dimming, just staying on at 100% which was way too much power. I bought a new dimmer to replace the 1st one and that corrected the issue

Interesting. was your replacement the same PCB layout as what i posted?

5mTm66Q.jpg

qExNamp.jpg

QrTsu2f.jpg

drbGsJ5.jpg

Xs77g8w.jpg - Yes i need to move it/add a drip loop.

PSvpgqH.jpg

WKnVlof.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
DoctorProfessor

Hi all,

I recently ordered a small pump on amazon to try and increase my flow in the tank. This one is essentially a drop in replacement. The original one is listed as being 0.5W on the Mini Complete website. This one goes as low as 1W. I also coupled the pump change with a "flow director" AKA some airline tubing and a suction cup. The little rubber fitting that comes with the tank fits directly on the nozzle of the pump. Figured I would share with everyone!

• Like 1
Flamingo_Reefer

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this hobby, but I'd like to get one of these tanks. Can it be low maintenance for me to keep it at my work desk? If not, I can always keep it at home, but I'd like to have it at work if I can.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:21 AM, Flamingo_Reefer said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this hobby, but I'd like to get one of these tanks. Can it be low maintenance for me to keep it at my work desk? If not, I can always keep it at home, but I'd like to have it at work if I can.

these suffer badly from salt creep and often have poor fitting between the tank and sump. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Any updates on how these tanks held up over time?

Thinking of buying a couple, but it seems like there are a bit too many problems for the amount of money they are asking.

After months of use, is the light still working ok? drop in pump pressure/flow? Salt creep getting any better/worse? warping/yellowing acrylic?

These tanks have potential, but they really have to fix some of these issues...Can't have this little box covered in salt on my office desk...

Hopefully they make a v2.0

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:54 PM, fireFlies said:

Any updates on how these tanks held up over time?

Thinking of buying a couple, but it seems like there are a bit too many problems for the amount of money they are asking.

After months of use, is the light still working ok? drop in pump pressure/flow? Salt creep getting any better/worse? warping/yellowing acrylic?

These tanks have potential, but they really have to fix some of these issues...Can't have this little box covered in salt on my office desk...

Hopefully they make a v2.0

With the small bead of silicone that I put on mine the salt creep went away completely. My pump did quit working so the tank was taken down while I decided on if it was worth keeping. I did get a new pump and will be setting it back up very soon. 

It's a fun tank but honestly it is a toy . 

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Following for information and updates. I am considering setting one of these little tanks up, but as a pico or nano reef. I have 8 running (much larger) SW aquariums..so maybe it's time to give this a whirl.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just ordered one today with the blue light. I’m selling my 25 lagoon but wanted to keep some zoas that I really can’t part with. Hopefully this will be enough to keep them. What heater are you guys using that’s not the one offered from the manufacturer?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there anyone still looking through this sub I know I’m late to the party but I want to build one as I’m working at a ski resort and was wondering if anyone here knew anything on where to find that small of live rock for it

6 minutes ago, Jacob319 said:

Is there anyone still looking through this sub I know I’m late to the party but I want to build one as I’m working at a ski resort and was wondering if anyone here knew anything on where to find that small of live rock for it

I just busted up a piece of rock until the pieces were small enough. 

• Like 1