Cultivated Reef

Official Mini Complete Tank Club

smiz

1 hour ago, smiz said:

@jbb_00 @WV Reefer

What are people doing for top off? I cant really tell how to gauge how much water is removed. Seems like its coming out of sump?

I have been thinking about drilling the back of the sump for this , or maybe this , both would be used with an aqualifter.

I still cant tell where to judge my top off. I think its coming out of the sump? which would make it very difficult to determine. Also leave next week so I expect my tank to crash lol.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, smiz said:

I still cant tell where to judge my top off. I think its coming out of the sump? which would make it very difficult to determine. Also leave next week so I expect my tank to crash lol.

Yes it leaves from the sump

why not pipe a clear tube in the back for the water level.  You could mark it with sharpie , may not look cool but it would let you know how the water level was with out taking the tank off.

8 minutes ago, waldoz said:

why not pipe a clear tube in the back for the water level.  You could mark it with sharpie , may not look cool but it would let you know how the water level was with out taking the tank off.

Ive thought about that, or maybe installing some sort of sight glass in the side of the sump. Just haven't really put in the work. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, waldoz said:

Not following. Can you elaborate? I just got back from a 5 day work trip and the tank only went dor from .026 to .024 so not terrible! I just have no idea how much water to add as I cant see in sump! Maybe cutting a slot out and adding a viewing window is the way to go??

Something like this. You can get air fittings that are water tight, it would be really short but it would do the job.  You would just drill two holes in the sump low and high. 🙂

image.png.774a2af75b7132a4928b7f9b95438883.png

2 hours ago, waldoz said:

Something like this. You can get air fittings that are water tight, it would be really short but it would do the job.  You would just drill two holes in the sump low and high. 🙂

image.png.774a2af75b7132a4928b7f9b95438883.png

So I would drill two holes in sump and attach this. I like it! Who going to be the guinea pig??

• Haha 1
Christopher Marks

My wife gifted me one for Christmas, although it is the freshwater light version. I've been wanting to dabble with freshwater plants and shrimp, this should be a fun way to get back into freshwater aquariums.

I love seeing all the modifications everyone has come up with so far, we should document them here in the club topic! @jbb_00 @WV Reefer @smiz @Arquisto @hayseed777 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Official Mini Complete Tank Club
Just now, Christopher Marks said:

My wife gifted me one for Christmas, although it is the freshwater light version. I've been wanting to dabble with freshwater plants and shrimp, this should be a fun way to get back into freshwater aquariums.

I love seeing all the modifications everyone has come up with so far, we should document them here in the club topic! @jbb_00 @WV Reefer @smiz @Arquisto @hayseed777 🙂 

That’s awesome! You went from no tanks to two in no time!! 😃

There was so many threads I forgot there was a club topic! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Float switch install :

float switch https://www.amazon.com/Anndason-Plastic-Switch-Liquid-Control/dp/B07D7TGX7Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546130641&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=right+angle+float+switch&psc=1

the sump is a soft plastic that drills easily if you take your time. You will need to use a cordless drill on the lowest setting and step up as needed. the final hole will be with a 1/2" bit. 

436363411_minitankato1.jpg.ce95b635d547bc9c6702d5620082bc79.jpg   1403988173_minitankato2.jpg.12058feab7ce6de7c8af60e69880aed0.jpg

• Like 3

Meh... screw it.. I bought it. Will the blue led light support corals then?

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Guess you need to be posting updates here, this is the mini complete club, no1 said it had to be a reef. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

The light will vary depending on your hardscape. I've found that a few places that aren't in the dead center haven't been too good for the corals. I've had to move things around. Right now I'm away so I left the tank with my local coral store well see how they handle it.

• Like 1