Top Shelf Aquatics

What is this in my reef???

Will_0505

I’m a new reefer and just set up my tank about 2.5 months ago. I have a fluval evo 13.5 with chaeto and chemi pure and stock foam and a bio ball. I did get precycled media from my friends 2 year old tank. So today I was just checking out my anemone and all of a sudden I see a pair of two little clear bugs. They look like centipedes to me and they kinda look freaky. I’m wondering if they are good for the tank and if a fish would eat them. They are all over my rocks. It’s the small clear things on the rock itself. Pic attached below 

image.jpg

1 minute ago, Will_0505 said:

I’m a new reefer and just set up my tank about 2.5 months ago. I have a fluval evo 13.5 with chaeto and chemi pure and stock foam and a bio ball. I did get precycled media from my friends 2 year old tank. So today I was just checking out my anemone and all of a sudden I see a pair of two little clear bugs. They look like centipedes to me and they kinda look freaky. I’m wondering if they are good for the tank and if a fish would eat them. They are all over my rocks. It’s the small clear things on the rock itself. Pic attached below 

image.jpg

It’s hard to tell from the pic but it’s probably just some type of pod. 

11 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It’s hard to tell from the pic but it’s probably just some type of pod. 

It’s the little clear things on the rock. They are all over how can I get rid of them? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Will_0505 said:

It’s the little clear things on the rock. They are all over how can I get rid of them? 

I can see the clear things but it’s hard to tell much more than that. If it’s pods you don’t want to get rid of them.  They are good guys. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dvs1986 said:

they're copepods. they're a sign that your tank is in good health. you want to keep them. some fish will eat them. free fish food.

O cool idk where they came from tho 

8 hours ago, dvs1986 said:

they're copepods. they're a sign that your tank is in good health. you want to keep them. some fish will eat them. free fish food.

These are not copepods.  Maybe amphipods...but I don't really think so.  Hard to tell from the picture though.  

Are they moving?  Pods typically are darting around pretty quickly.  

image.png.848d1693224a462f00352991f5fc4bb7.png

• Like 1

Here's a video of amphipods moving about for comparison.  IME Copepods are usually very small, small enough they just look like a white speck on the glass and you can't even make out their features without a microscope. 

This guy's tank is loaded with them BTW!  Jealous

i think we can all agree, that without a better picture, none of us can be sure. i've seen really big copepods, and most amphipods have an arched back structure... but we're all just guessing what these blurry smudges are. lets get a better photo OP.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dpoltsdsu said:

For some reason my eyes went to this which very much looks like an Isopod to me. Absolutely not a Copepod though

InkedUnknown reef_LI.jpg

It’s the clear things on top I can’t get a better pic because they are so small they look like centipedes 

9 hours ago, specore said:

These are not copepods.  Maybe amphipods...but I don't really think so.  Hard to tell from the picture though.  

They crawl around and dart around

On 12/11/2018 at 5:33 AM, specore said:

Yes those r the little things they just crawl around 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 12:28 PM, WV Reefer said:

Do they have legs? 

Can you tell if they have eyes?

They have legs and eyes they now have taken over my tank. 

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like your tank is fine, so I'd try to relax about whatever they are.   I have to be honest I'm not too sure, but they don't look much like any of the typical pods...not even isopods, which are pretty rare.  (Isopods look more like pill-bugs/rolly-polly bugs that you see in your garden.)

You should be able to get a better closeup of the, on your glass, BTW....so maybe keep trying for a better ID photo?

Can you try to net or use a turkey baster to get one out of the tank to look at? 

Try taking a photo of one out of the water on a very dark or very light background.

Gourami Swami

I've got these in my tank as well. They exploded in population, then I added a wrasse and he seems to have eaten them all. I'm sure there are still some in the rock. They did not harm anything as far as I could tell. They do look like "munnids" to me

"munnid" is an Interesting guess....what's the reference folks are using to suggest this?   

Even wikipedia's entry is blank...and the genus name doesn't match the current scientific name (which is Uromuuna?). 

Anyone have a (non-forum) link suggestion for more reading about these?