--chris--

Shallow Office Reef - "Great things are not done by impulse..."

"...but by a series of small things brought together."

-George Elliot

And so begins my first not-nano-reef build in over 7 years!  This build will move slowly, but deliberately.  Stage 1 will be building the basics and getting rock and water in it.  Stage 2 will be fleshing it out, adding equipment and letting it mature. Stage 3 will be making it a "reef" tank!  

In mid-march of this year I traded a bunch of frags from my nano for a 48*24*12 glass tank and a 48" Tek 6 bulb T5 HO fixture knowing that I love shallow reefs, I would set one up at some point again and because it was a hell of a deal!  Fast forward to October, I picked up a bunch of 50 breeders and a 75 gallon.  Sold the 50 breeders but kept the 75 planning on using it as a sump.  

As of today, my equipment list is:

48x24x12 tank

48x18x18 sump

48" Tek 6 Bulb T5 HO fixture

I have some "infrastructure" work to do prior to diving into the fun equipment gathering, which is where I started today.  

New 20 amp circuit, conduit and 20 amp breaker (DONE)

IMG-2497.jpg

Next in Stage 1 (Now): GFCI outlet, DIY 2x4 stand, light hanging and plumbing, heater, time and return pump.

Stage 2 (Mid 2019): Rock, water, skimmer, light & ATO

Stage 3 (Mid-late 2019): Fish and coral!  

• Like 5

Not sure anyone noticed...but I installed a junction box instead of a gang box.  -_-

Spent a few $$ and lots of time at the store to figure this out.  I need to pull it off the wall, hope the double gang box fits the holes I drilled in the cement (or drill new holes...) and mount the correct box on the wall.

what's happening here?  no tank yet?  this takes the whole "set up" story line to the next level. 

• Haha 1

lol.  Historically my builds are fueled by excitement mixed with anxiety. I just want the details to be correct before setting this up for the 'long haul'.  🙂  Because of that I am moving very slowly...also the holidays and some travel slowed it down.  

• Like 2

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions