Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UWDanno - New Build. Shelf Rock Island

uwdanno

Working on a reboot! Same tank, new scape. I will be pulling all the rock out of my tank and removing all the corals for a completely new Aquascape. 

A couple goals...

Empty sand bed

Space for corals to grow on ledges

More LPS

Bommie style

In my previous scape the SPS started growing into each other and a couple pieces were becoming very dominant. It was going to be a major problem. For this design I want one coral per shelf/ledge. Top will be a couple SPS mini colony’s, mid will be acans and favias, bottom will be euphyllia, goni’s and jawbreakers

I ordered all shelf rock from BRS and it’s cycling now until mid Jan. 

7C018ECC-4559-49D3-958D-A7FF0B32FFC4.jpeg

• Like 6

will be following along - rebuilding in-place is a unique challenge... I'm hoping to get some ideas from you as I'm hoping to do the same in the next 3-6 months. 

are you reusing all existing corals?  Obviously, you're gonna keep the gold torch 🙂, but what about others? 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

will be following along - rebuilding in-place is a unique challenge... I'm hoping to get some ideas from you as I'm hoping to do the same in the next 3-6 months. 

are you reusing all existing corals?  Obviously, you're gonna keep the gold torch 🙂, but what about others? 

I am definitely nervous. I can't find a lot of solid reading around adding new rock to and existing tank. The water and sand bed will all be the same - so I will have a lot of good bacteria from that, but I am nervous about the cycle on the rocks. BRS just sent out a video that focuses on a 4 month cycle. No chance I can wait that long. If you aren't doing it for 3-6 months, it might be worth getting your rock to cycle now. 

I have been taking water out of the display tank and adding it to the cycle bucket to get the goodness in there. Tonight I am hoping to get a sizable live rock from the tank to add to the bucket. 

Corals I plan on keeping...

LPS

Gold Torch

Frogspawn

Acan

Dragon Soul Favia

Ice Blue Leptastria

SPS

Red Planet Colony

Tenuis

Setosa

Red Dragon

Not sure yet on the Orange Digi, Green Slimmer, Mummy Eye Chalice and Ponape Birdsnest

I want more of a clean look rather than an every inch of the rock is covered look. 

• Like 3

Cant wait to see this!

Ps. I would recommend putting the BTA in the tank right after the rock and sand go in (and is cycled of course) so it can find its happy spot before mounting corals and such.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, dirtrider225 said:

Cant wait to see this!

Ps. I would recommend putting the BTA in the tank right after the rock and sand go in (and is cycled of course) so it can find its happy spot before mounting corals and such.

Good call. I am planning to put it mid light with mid flow. Is that about what you currently have them at?

19 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Good call. I am planning to put it mid light with mid flow. Is that about what you currently have them at?

out of the ~20 or so bta's I have I would say 80% of them are in ~175-225 par and on the edge of turbulent flow. (the foot and oral disk is somewhere with fairly consistant flow, but their tentacles/tips are just touching the flow where it is getting crazy) 10% like as high light as possible regardless of flow, and 10% chose to hang out in low flow/ low light.

Mostly however it comes down to where they feel "secure" via footing. BTA's like having a spot where their foot is in a hole, on the edge or under side of a rock and then stretch upwards towards the light. Makes em feel safe lol

• Like 2
17 hours ago, dirtrider225 said:

out of the ~20 or so bta's I have I would say 80% of them are in ~175-225 par and on the edge of turbulent flow. (the foot and oral disk is somewhere with fairly consistant flow, but their tentacles/tips are just touching the flow where it is getting crazy) 10% like as high light as possible regardless of flow, and 10% chose to hang out in low flow/ low light.

Mostly however it comes down to where they feel "secure" via footing. BTA's like having a spot where their foot is in a hole, on the edge or under side of a rock and then stretch upwards towards the light. Makes em feel safe lol

Great to know. I feel like this is really high pressure to get it right! Hoping the BTA and I both like the same spot. 

The Black Widows are really cool looking. I have been checking them out since you mentioned them. I am pumped.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Great to know. I feel like this is really high pressure to get it right! Hoping the BTA and I both like the same spot. 

The Black Widows are really cool looking. I have been checking them out since you mentioned them. I am pumped.

They are pretty easy to keep alive and happy! Mine almost always find a spot and stay there until I royally mess up the tank.. If my salinity/temp is way off is usually the catalyst that causes them to move around. Other than that, as long as flow doesnt change dramatically (add/remove powerhead) they stay where they are IME.

On a side note glad you are excited about something for the tank! Makes the chore of owning a reef less annoying when you are thrilled about the tank again haha

• 1 month later...

Rough cell phone pic of my new scape. All new shelf rock from BRS. All of the corals on the sand bed have been relocated already. I'll post a updated pic once things settle down. 

F5E69AC8-498B-4832-BAD4-EE7ED69C35D2.jpeg

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow that's a really cool aquascape @uwdanno, very unique! Can't wait to see the final placements!

Slightly better after I got some stuff off the sand bed. The tank is beyond dirty right now while I am letting things settle. The BTA is looking for a place to settle and I want to be sure to keep it happy while it settles. 

5BE0C5F0-9822-47AF-AACE-598B495BA51D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Slightly better after I got some stuff off the sand bed. The tank is beyond dirty right now while I am letting things settle. The BTA is looking for a place to settle and I want to be sure to keep it happy while it settles. 

5BE0C5F0-9822-47AF-AACE-598B495BA51D.jpeg

Ooooh, I like it! 😃 can’t wait to see it fill in!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Ooooh, I like it! 😃 can’t wait to see it fill in!

Thanks. Its going to be nearly all LPS. I want movement. I plan to add various torches to the sand bed to wrap around the left side. Bottom right side will be a little Jawbreaker farm, possibly some Rics in there too. Top shelf rocks will be the BTA (wherever it stops), Acans, Favias and maybe an SPS frag or too. 

Feels really good to have something new to think about. Mature tanks are boring 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Thanks. Its going to be nearly all LPS. I want movement. I plan to add various torches to the sand bed to wrap around the left side. Bottom right side will be a little Jawbreaker farm, possibly some Rics in there too. Top shelf rocks will be the BTA (wherever it stops), Acans, Favias and maybe an SPS frag or too. 

Feels really good to have something new to think about. Mature tanks are boring 🙂

The beginning is the best part. 😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 3:59 PM, ReeferBray said:

Any updates on this beauty? 

Sorry! I have been lazy and I am fighting some diatoms on the rocks. Its def not a beauty right now. I go to Turks & Caicos soon. My plan is to kick this tank back in gear after that. I have a new media reactor coming and I plan to completely replace the sand. The current sand in there is 5 years old and looks like it. Full of crap (literally). I need that pristine Fiji Pink look back!

I'll be sure to update in the coming weeks. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Turks and Caicos!  Providenciales??  My fav place on earth.  

Yes sir! Grace Bay. I'll be diving Monday and Wednesday. Any recommendations on things?

11 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

Did you make it to the TCMAS swap meet last weekend?

I didn't make it. Reading around on TCMAS it looked like it was a pretty good one. Lots of good giveaways and presale frags. Did you buy much??