Pod Your Reef

WBs 10G (w/10g Fuge) Nano

Wonderboy

LOL - I'm dying over here because when the physics were first doing their magic, I had to call my gf at work just to express EXACTLY that - that I knew what Dr Frankenstein felt like when he created something living  😂

• Haha 1

The new 'fuge has four clear containers holding up a glass pane to provide a place to keep softies and other macros.

1979455015_IMG-1493(2).thumb.JPG.24c4758c43b44837fc447e866cfc1b86.JPG

Overhead lights not active yet (to run at daytime) - undertank light runs at night

28912907_IMG-1496(1).thumb.JPG.532b97479c204562c7fe9214c907cb8f.JPG

Cup 1: rubble with perforated bottom

Cup 2: large particle sand bed and rubble with perforated bottom

Cup 3: mud with sponge and snorkle to allow the bottom to breathe

Cup 4: more mud sponge and snorkle

1800227917_IMG-1494(1).thumb.JPG.f12d7180347f117cefa0694d7a8d8e27.JPG

209940696_IMG-1495(1).thumb.JPG.02b17f9cd0f39816de2e05ab67028d13.JPG

That larger shallow container on the glass has mud under coarse sediment - hoping to grow some rooting stuff there

• Like 2

Looks gorgeous! I feel like it's only a matter of time until the UGFuge pico is somehow plumbed into this system as well... can you imagine? A system that spans the entire house, with a display in every room, all connected? I think it might be destiny. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

Looks gorgeous! I feel like it's only a matter of time until the UGFuge pico is somehow plumbed into this system as well... can you imagine? A system that spans the entire house, with a display in every room, all connected? I think it might be destiny. 😁

Hahaha it just could be... most of my faucets might as well run DI and parameter prepped saltwater instead of hot and cold, too lol. 

Thanks  :]

So, I'm not 100% sure, but I am about 90% sure that the yellow watchman has paired up with the fire shrimp in here. The watchman is acting moderately protective of the fire shrimp and has been perching persistently under the shrimp in the same cave. The fire shrimp seems to love the company. If their interaction is consistent. I'll get the rest of that 10% on camera, promise.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Still looking like the watchman doesn't want to leave the fire shrimp - sorry, no shot yet, phone makes him shy still.

IMG-1566.thumb.JPG.b480001d949e845a71bed090979c0849.JPG

Looking at this, I now see some things that I want to move... but everything is responding well to the 'fuge change and light changes. Looking forward to adding more light to DT and I have ordered a few kinds of macro for the 'fuge.

• Like 3

This is the two of them at rest, the watchman is always very near the shrimp like this:

IMG-1572.thumb.JPG.cc474423e3821d7a20a41ca6591b07f7.JPG

IMG-1573.thumb.JPG.ddcd5c5e004966d893d3c8c6177adb6a.JPG

I have seen the watchman firmly push the fire shrimp back into the cave with his tail, too. Will try to get at least a feeding video.

• Like 4

Hi @Reefanatic24/7!  What I would try to focus on...

- flow and light tolerance is specie-dependent (dragonface can handle more than most), so make sure to look into recommended rates/wattage - hardscape can influence these (reduce intensities mostly)

- I'm a believer of stable pH so pay attention to KH and GH or stick to a frequent WC schedule

- copepods is the name of the game of course: I would highly prioritize running a reverse light cycle refugium (usually as large of a volume as space allows), this also keeps oxygen at more stable levels throughout the night which will also help stabilize pH 

- in the refugium, make sure to keep some containers (food-safe) of mud (opt for live or mature) and also some other containers of coarser sediments (aragonite sediment and/or large-grade [marine] sands), you could do baffled areas instead of containers of coarse if you want), replace half of the sediments once every 18 - 24 months (it's easy to pull containers for refilling, two containers of each sediment makes it easy to alternate, I keep marked on calendar - written on december so I can write it on next year's), relevant read: Dearest Mudder... -Ron Shimek 

- I implement rock rubble (smashed rock - 1/2" - 2" pieces) somewhere in most systems as well (helps to sometimes put this in a container, too, for access, just in case ~aiptasia~), rubble is for increased surface area for max pod variety production - I've seen single species dominate quickly if they're all left with similar surfaces to collect on.

- I would also make sure to be successfully growing macros (at least chaeto, many species would be optimal), feed almost too much (frozen) for several weeks (months wouldn't be bad, be ready to respond to algae blooms with appropriate CUC and WCs during this time of thresholding nutrient levels), and perform a large WC (>75%) before adding any pipes so their home will be ready with a boosted pod population and the ability to quickly process new ammonia introductions (food / fish) very efficiently into macro food 

- sustaining the pod population: feed the refugium weekly (less frequently if pest algae becomes prominent), use either what ever you're feeding you're fish or make your own pod food; phyto is an excellent option, too (buy it or grow it, dose it whenever possible - I put some in each of my systems almost daily)

- I suppose lastly, try not to put too many pod hunters into the same system (damsels, certain gobies...).

Hope this helps; you can also start a thread asking for experiences, as I'm sure many have very useful info as well!  :]

• Like 5

Speaking of pipefish, we're talking about you!

IMG-1588.thumb.JPG.2dc56687e9304936db24b64592e96660.JPG

The ruby red dragonette is well, also; witnessed her eat a huge piece of mysis the other day - I was pretty pleased to see that

Here's a view of the 10G's neighbor's yard.:

IMG-1586.thumb.JPG.784c26aa1c4d8a2c3198581fc7d3f666.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Speaking of pipefish, we're talking about you!

IMG-1588.thumb.JPG.2dc56687e9304936db24b64592e96660.JPG

The ruby red dragonette is well, also; witnessed her eat a huge piece of mysis the other day - I was pretty pleased to see that

Here's a view of the 10G's neighbor's yard.:

IMG-1586.thumb.JPG.784c26aa1c4d8a2c3198581fc7d3f666.JPG

Very nice! 😊

• Thanks 1

Beautiful pipefish! And seeing that goby + fire shrimp pairing up is just so bizarre to me. Maybe the shrimp just identifies as a pistol? 🤷‍♂️ He's living his best life and no one can take that away from him.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone - I appreciate it. I'm quite shocked about it, too - I still question it every morning and evening and have to check, but so far each time, there they are sitting next to each other waiting for food. I'm trying to get a few clips together for a youtube video - it should be up soon. I'm trying to figure out if they aren't just sharing the cave... I don't know if this is normal watchman behavior... Maybe everyone can let me know what they think when it's up.

Great job and I'm like you with the Frankentank experiments. I use pieces of corrugated plastic in my sumps and fuges to grow pods. They seem to really like them for cover and reproduction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Great job and I'm like you with the Frankentank experiments. I use pieces of corrugated plastic in my sumps and fuges to grow pods. They seem to really like them for cover and reproduction.

Thank you - that's great! I'm sure that works wonderfully - anyone's efforts to consider even the tiniest of life are too often overlooked IMO. I have always been intrigued as to how it's the smaller things that allow for the bigger things to be possible.

----

That video of the fire shrimp/watchman "pair?" is almost ready - I had a bunch (too much) of media to use but still tried to keep it compact-ish. It is uploading right now - will post it soon

• Thanks 1

I'm not very too sure why I always have such rough luck moving files around..

Also took quite a few tries to upload - sorry for misc quality discrepancies   :]

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Honestly it's super weird but they look pretty damn bonded to me. The shrimp is even continuously touching the goby with its feelers to keep track of it. Never heard of anything like this but they are just buddies I guess! 😄 Good for them.

• Like 2

It is quite strange to me, too. I did not expect it at all. Actually, I didn't expect it so hard that my gf was the one who noticed and had to ask me if the goby had bonded to the fire shrimp?? I was like, what, noooooo that's not a thing - but then later that day they were still together. 

And the YWG is in the fire shrimp's nook this morning. Right now, the goby is sitting square in front of the shrimp, just watching, like his name suggests - shrimp is not cleaning him or anything, just sitting there lol. Lights aren't on yet. I think it's notable that there aren't really any other decent over-hangs/caves where the shrimp could hang out. Maybe the goby was for some reason lonely, and the shrimp has had no choice but to deal with it? The 2nd randall's pistol just keeps digging intricately on the left side of the tank - I spot feed him once in a while (pistol #1 is paired with orange spot goby). Before staying with the fire shrimp, the YWG had plenty of oppurtunities to pair up with the pistol because he would perch all over the tank, even near its borrow entrances often. All I do know is that I don't know what's going on here.  :happydance:

• Like 3

Upgraded the light mounting situation... kind of. LOL. Turned some scrap wood into some sort of adjustable place to put the light clamps - I can also slide the lights mostly out of the way for working easier in here:

IMG_0173.thumb.jpg.a232d481a72226471a2a4b9b7ba34780.jpg

Pretty ridiculous, huh?   :]    

I moved the tuna blue LED (12W) to the right side (the side with mostly higher rockwork) and put a new bulb, Luxbird 18W full spectrum LED, over the left side (the side with mostly lower rockwork). There's a clear visual color difference, so I may go with a tuna blue LED (23W) over the left side in the future, but anyways, so far coral responses have been mostly positive - had to reposition a few things - watching to see how everyone does for now:

IMG_0178.thumb.jpg.b6f0c7cc8b8ba83d054a22421cc0a6af.jpg

...planning to take some coral close-ups in the near future

The brittle from the 2.5G seems to be doing better in here:

IMG_3265.thumb.jpg.5b4b2ad496ca79fc9ebd32b7bb01bc12.jpg

The YWG and fire shrimp are still next to each other 24/7 - I am very near positive that they are paired/bonded - will continue to document:

IMG_3255.thumb.jpg.b3e0f2b7919f3fd3808f4c7da45b8cbd.jpg

Here's a look over at the other half of the system:

IMG_3263.thumb.jpg.20f67a26aae5bb6656c98277616cbab4.jpg

I tossed in a couple types of caulerpa and some other algaes in a few places and also some mangrove pods cause well why not. That 50/50 CFL from my 2.5G is being put to use and also a smaller-wattage (maybe 12W) 3500 kelvin spiral CFL above the 'fuge.

Some noticeable almost unnoticeable stuff:

IMG_3266.thumb.jpg.20bc3ed22d977b338387b05d45be248f.jpg

Medusa + some interesting star diatom(?)s:

IMG_3274.thumb.jpg.cdd36e2d25db2976bb84d93a97279a86.jpg

Closer - they look to be prism-ish:

IMG_3267.thumb.jpg.4143a517043cd28a768d8565e5e6c8ec.jpg

On the chaeto (size reference):

IMG_3271.thumb.jpg.22cbd99f9f6a75295ff8c078fe4d1f96.jpg

Anyone seen anything like this?

• Like 4
  • Wonderboy changed the title to WBs 10G (w/10g Fuge) Nano