Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Egg sacs? Pests? Idk...

kylexarbor

So I have these egg-like sacs attached to the side of chamber 1 in my biocube 29. I have no idea what they could be. I have no fish, 1 coral banded shrimp, 5 red leg hermits and a turbo snail, 1 squamosa clam. I have mixed corals; pollicipora, Xenia, clove polyps, Montipora, zoas, goniopora, gsp, brain maze, toadstool. 

Temp: 80

SG: 1.026

pH: 8.4

ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: <10

kH: 9-10

Calcium: 420

i protein skim and use a uv sterilizer. Filtration is floss, purigen, phosguard, chemipure elite. Water change 30% every week using ro/di water and instant ocean.  Tank has been running for about 6-7 months. I have noticed excess detritus buildup in the chambers lately. Not sure what these buggers are. Please help

37E99DD7-2700-467C-B6E8-A2F8DC15D882.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Pineapple sponges. Good filter feeders and part of the CUC. Harmless and will come and go over time.

Thanks for the feedback. I was freaking out for a little bit there. 

They can be a bit startling when you first notice them, but they generally show up within 3-6 months of a tank starting up. I see you have a healthy crop of spirobid worms too. Another hitchhiker that is harmless. I generally leave them alone too. How about a pic of your tank?

• Like 1

They can be a bit startling when you first notice them, but they generally show up within 3-6 months of a tank starting up. I see you have a healthy crop of spirobid worms too. Another hitchhiker that is harmless. I generally leave them alone too. How about a pic of your tank?

I’m unsure of the worms, because I don’t see what you see but I’ll post a pic of my tank tomorrow. When the lights come on.

Okay I looked them up and see what you’re talking abkut. I thought that was calcium carbonate buildup. Good to know! They’ve definitely multiplied a lot over the existence of the tank. They are all over my rockwork and back panel.

They generally come in on live rock, but I've had them in tanks that started with dry rock/sand and no introduced critters. The only vector I could figure out is some sort of larval stage that came in with the LFS water I bought. Just one more mystery about reef keeping.

• Like 1