Pod Your Reef

ESloan's Fluval Flex 15g Conversion

esloan

Just moved from Texas to Washington and could not take our large tank with us.  We are heartbroken and miss it so much.  We can not get a big tank set up anytime soon so we decided to start a small tank.   We had an unopened Fluval Flex 15g tank just sitting in our garage so we decided to convert it over to saltwater and get a Nano tank going.

Right now, the tank is pretty much stock.  We plan to change out the filtration, change out the stock lighting, upgrade the pump and possibly put in a mini-skimmer.  The Fluval Flex has three chambers in the back so I think we are going to use the first chamber for the heater and the mini-skimmer, the second chamber for filtration and the last chamber for the pump and possibly some more filtration.

We have the tank setup and cycling now.  I figure we can let it cycle while I go about getting a better pump, upgrade the lighting and get the skimmer setup.  Rock work was a challenge in such a small space but I think we got it to look pretty good.  Should be lots of room for corals and a few hiding places for fish.  I would love some input on the rockwork and constructive criticism for rock improvements.  

Our initial thoughts on stock are a couple of small clowns and a goby/pistol shrimp.  Would also love some stocking opinions!

Here is the current rockscape, please let me know what you think!

47792670_304135333537653_7215598173140549632_n.jpg

48380978_582854128832015_4552061469948116992_n.jpg

47683526_2239051373032824_1008246544853368832_n.jpg

48079113_294828414485741_769075286611329024_n.jpg

I think the rockscape looks pretty good considering the amount of space. I had the same struggle when positioning my rock and still admittedly fix it on occasion since none of my corals have fixed themselves to it yet.  

• Like 1
Just now, Kalikikibebe said:

I think the rockscape looks pretty good considering the amount of space. I had the same struggle when positioning my rock and still admittedly fix it on occasion since none of my corals have fixed themselves to it yet.  

Yeah, so limited in rock placement on a small tank.  Not used to that!  Our biggest concern was making sure we had nice areas to place coral and I think we achieved that fairly well.  We were thinking about a montipora on the top and a hammer or torch on the left side underneath that top shelf.

Because we don't have a ton of rock in the tank, I added some MarinePure Cermedia Ceramic Bio-Balls to the chambers in the back.  That should give enough porous area for bacteria, I think.