Pod Your Reef

Kali's 13.5 Nano

Kalikikibebe

Hello everyone, 

I am new to owning a reef tank, and very excited to start this hobby! Between this forum and my hubby, I have already learned a lot! 

So far this is our setup: 

Fluval evo 13.5 with Protein skimmer and heater, a wave maker, three different sets of zoas (mainly orange—not sure how that happened), one larger ricordea yuma rock,  a cleaner shrimp, 5 hermits, and about 7 snails. 

Recently I got a promotion at work, this is how we celebrated!

Added a pair of black snowflake clowns, and 4 new zoas! Will take a picture when zoas are settled, the shrimp got in the way.  

blacksnowflakepair.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Kalikikibebe said:

Hello everyone, 

I am new to owning a reef tank, and very excited to start this hobby! Between this forum and my hubby, I have already learned a lot! 

So far this is our setup: 

Fluval evo 13.5 with Protein skimmer and heater, a wave maker, three different sets of zoas (mainly orange—not sure how that happened), one larger ricordea yuma rock,  a cleaner shrimp, 5 hermits, and about 7 snails. 

Recently I got a promotion at work, this is how we celebrated!

Added a pair of black snowflake clowns, and 4 new zoas! Will take a picture when zoas are settled, the shrimp got in the way.  

blacksnowflakepair.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

The clowns are so cute! 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

The clowns are so cute! 🙂

They are. I had a hard time deciding between those and a possible subzero pair. I am very happy with them, they have made the tank come to life even more! 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Dantrasy said:

Any tips for keeping the shrimp?

Do they move the substrate around much?

Thanks.

@DantrasyI haven’t found that the shrimp moves the substrate much if at all. Only thing we did somewhat specific for the tank is position the rock so that the shrimp can’t hide behind it as our tank is backed up to a wall. Before rearranging to it’s current position and size the shrimp would hide back behind the rock all day. It bothered us that we couldn’t see him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Expoy now holds the rock in place. Slowly figuring how who likes which spot in the tank. Secured those who have shown they are happy with their spot. Going to frag the big creamy green polys at the bottom tonight. They are overgrowning the rock they are holding onto. 

91731812-5297-47E3-9FC7-F935EE1C1200.jpeg

We have found some hitchhikers! One good and one bad. 

One crab of some sorts. We spotted him in the ricordea rock. At first I thought it was a hermit who left his shell since there was a shell on the rock as well. 

And the bad: Aiptasia, I think. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? 

We also seem to have a lot of micro bubbles as well, not sure what could be causing it. We made some improvements such as adding a media rack with small pieces of rock from main area, chateo, and chemi pure. We have a protein skimmer that we are still trying to get dialed in and removed the stock filter that came in the fluval pump. 

108610DE-270C-47CE-AA4B-55E8BFBA2D7F.jpeg

D9EAFF34-AB38-402C-944F-46C89A47893F.jpeg