Coral Vue Hydros

Converting a Fluval Flex to saltwater. Need some advice, please!

esloan

I posted a similar topic in DIY but it got little traction or notice there, so I thought I would try it here.

We moved from Texas to Washington and we were unable to take our big tank.  We want to set up a small tank here and will eventually also do a big tank.  We have a Fluval Flex freshwater tank that we want to convert to saltwater.  I am already changing the pump to a larger pump and changing the filter media.  Also added some Cermedia MarinePure balls for added bio-media.

The big problem I am running into is what light I should use.  The light in the lid is freshwater and really not good even for that.  So I know I need to upgrade it.  Here is the catch:  I do not want to remove the lid and I do not want to just cover the top with egg crate or something like that.  We need a lid because we intend to get a goby and we have had 2 gobies leap to their deaths in an uncovered tank.  We don't want to use egg-crate because this is in our living room area and we want it to look nice.

I was considering getting a Fluval Sea Marine & Reef LED Nano because I really like the programmable features of that light and it seems plenty for a 15 gallon tank.  Does anyone have this light and can answer a few questions?

For one, I want to know how easy it might be to cut the plastic lid of that tank and mount that light in there somehow?  Will that put it too close to the water?  Is there a way to do it and make it look nice and be safe?

Any answers to those questions would be helpful or any suggestions on another light would also be helpful!  I have the tank setup and cycling now, so it will be a bit before I need the light, just want to be prepared so I can get the thing stocked soon after the cycle.

Thanks, in advance!

1 hour ago, Frag Factory said:

Not to be an ass, but can you sell it and get the Evo 13.5? 

It would solve your light issue and probably cost less

We had an Evo. It's a good tank but won't fit where we want it because of the peninsula style of the tank. 

Like I said in your previous thread, literally only 1 person I have seen change the light on the tank which was a diy and @Wingy found it for you. 

Otherwise cutting a hole in the lid and placing the other light in it will pose issues with heat, the light being too close to the water, and safety issues.

The light you have is meant to be in the open, enclosing it may cause heating issues leading to safety issues, it's also not waterproof so being so close to the water is an issue.

The light isn't designed to be so close to the water.

The best way to do it. Remove the lid and replace with a mesh diy lid. It's better for gas exchange, temp control, and light spread.

• 7 months later...
Kingtriton92

I set up a flex softy tank in my living room.  I added the aqua Knight A029 light, an ATO and a DC nano wave maker.  First chamber is a refugium with Cheto and miracle mud, second has sachem matrix, chemi pure blue, purigen and carbon.  Third chamber has my cobalt 50 watt heater controlled my an inkbird.

With weekly three gallon water changes this tank is thriving. 

The flex is very doable with a bit of tweaking. 

• 4 years later...
On 7/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, Kingtriton92 said:

I set up a flex softy tank in my living room.  I added the aqua Knight A029 light, an ATO and a DC nano wave maker.  First chamber is a refugium with Cheto and miracle mud, second has sachem matrix, chemi pure blue, purigen and carbon.  Third chamber has my cobalt 50 watt heater controlled my an inkbird.

With weekly three gallon water changes this tank is thriving. 

The flex is very doable with a bit of tweaking. 

It's encouraging. Don't need a skimmer?