SaltCritters.com

Sexy Shrimp and Emerald crab

deetu

As much as you research, you still find different opinions.  (didn't know those bumble bee snails were cannibals... not enough research)

I have hair algae.  I know I overfeed but I keep the tank within perimeters with weekly water changes... ammonia and nitrates at 0.  I have phosphate pad in filter system.

The main growth is in the macro growing close to the light.

I had bought hermit crabs in the beginning before was too bad but unfortunately the store forgot to put them in the bag.  I ordered on line two hermits and a scarlet but the hermits turned out to be tiny tiny... can't find the one. 

I looked into the emerald crab because I can see this being an ongoing thing. Would the emerald crab bother the sexy shrimp I have.  Most I've read said that as long as it has enough to eat, it will leave everything else alone.

If there is any chance it would go after the shrimp, then I will forgo the emerald and continue to pull out the hair by hand... get a couple more hermits.

So what are your experiences?  It is a 15 gallon display with lots of rock and macro. 

The sexys, three of them, are hosting in one of the lower macros. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, deetu said:

As much as you research, you still find different opinions.  (didn't know those bumble bee snails were cannibals... not enough research)

I have hair algae.  I know I overfeed but I keep the tank within perimeters with weekly water changes... ammonia and nitrates at 0.  I have phosphate pad in filter system.

The main growth is in the macro growing close to the light.

I had bought hermit crabs in the beginning before was too bad but unfortunately the store forgot to put them in the bag.  I ordered on line two hermits and a scarlet but the hermits turned out to be tiny tiny... can't find the one. 

I looked into the emerald crab because I can see this being an ongoing thing. Would the emerald crab bother the sexy shrimp I have.  Most I've read said that as long as it has enough to eat, it will leave everything else alone.

If there is any chance it would go after the shrimp, then I will forgo the emerald and continue to pull out the hair by hand... get a couple more hermits.

So what are your experiences?  It is a 15 gallon display with lots of rock and macro. 

The sexys, three of them, are hosting in one of the lower macros. 

Never trust a crab. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
hedgeclipper2

I have an Emerald in my JBJ Rimless 10g with 3 very bold Sexies.  I think the crab is scared of them.  The shrimps go nuts when he gets close to their Maxi-Mini

• Haha 1