Innovative Marine Aquariums

Should I start using kalkwasser? Or no?

dcknipe

Hey gang. 

So I have a mixed reef tank0 a IM10 Nuvo. 

I'm trying to decide if I should start dosing or just stick to my weekly 30% Wc. I don't slack on maintenance and I keep the tank pretty clean in the back etc... 

My Params are as follows using API. 

Temp: 78

Ph: 7.8

Salinity: 1.025

Nitrate: 0-5 ppm

Nitrite and Ammonia: 0

Calc: 380

Alk:8

Phos: undetectable

Mag: dunno don't have a test.

Salt: reef crystals 

So my ph has been this way from the beginning but I've never dosed. The tank is in my bedroom so that could be a reason. 

So to me it appears my tank would be a prime candidate for kalk, right? Or should I leave it be? 

Will me push Calc and alk to 450ish/10dkh make a noticeable difference in coral growth? 

Thanks

I see nothing wrong with your pH?

I don't really see anything that makes your tank need kalk? It looks like mostly soft corals. 

Without nutrients high alk can have negative impacts on SPS. 

• Like 1

Absolutely not - the API pH tests are wildly off and chasing pH itself is just silly. I have a Pinpoint pH probe that I bought before I knew better and would routinely have 8.3-8.4pH while my API test kit was as low as 7.4-7.6.

The only reason to dose Kalk is to increase alkalinity and calcium to replenish what corals are using (the dose will be calculated by your daily usage).

If your pH is was actually low, tested with a calibrated probe, and you wanted it higher, you could just add a skimmer.

• Like 1

I'm not chasing ph. I was just stating my ph is what it is lol. Before my red sea kit expired my ph was in the low 8's so it wouldn't suprise me if API was off. 

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't starving my tank of Calc and alk as they aren't the typical optimum levels. 

Thanks for the input makes me feel better that the general consensus is a big hell no. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dcknipe said:

I'm not chasing ph. I was just stating my ph is what it is lol. Before my red sea kit expired my ph was in the low 8's so it wouldn't suprise me if API was off. 

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't starving my tank of Calc and alk as they aren't the typical optimum levels. 

Thanks for the input makes me feel better that the general consensus is a big hell no. 

The levels look fine to me. Anything between 7-11alk and 380-450ca is acceptable. 

What kind of demand does your tank have? Which kind of corals and how many?

If you have mostly soft corals and some hard, then WCs are fine. 

• Like 1

Setosa montipora , orange montipora, meteor shower, Duncans, GSP, shrooms, yuma, toadstool, Kenya tree, Hollywood stunner, zoas, xenia 

I'm sure I'm missing something 

4 minutes ago, dcknipe said:

Setosa montipora , orange montipora, meteor shower, Duncans, GSP, shrooms, yuma, toadstool, Kenya tree, Hollywood stunner, zoas, xenia 

I'm sure I'm missing something 

You could run kalk with those. Make sure you do testing often to keep parameters stable.