Pod Your Reef

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Here are pics that I just took, sorry for the blue, didn't feel like putting the filters on.

If you look at the pics those are the spots the algae was the worst. The first pic you couldn't even see the rock, the second the algae was probably close to 2 inches long and flowing and the third with the acans and rock flowers was all algae.

IMG_20190310_171224.jpg

IMG_20190310_171221.jpg

IMG_20190310_171215.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I've been having trouble with my blenny eating. I went to my lfs tonight and got some lrs fish food for herbivores and I just put some in and bam, he started to pick at it. Finally, he's been getting thinner and thinner for the last month. I'm worried he's gonna starve, but this seems like it may be the thing that gets him eating.Ā 

I have tried everything I could think of and was truly getting worried. Everything I've been trying to feed him he has been rejecting. I'll keep posted as to how I fair with the lrs, fingers crossed this may work. I have heard good things about this food and it was my last ditch effort to get my buddy to eat regularly.Ā 

As for the algae well it's probably 80 percent gone now. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I dosed the meds and I'm going to end up doing a small water change tomorrow when I get home from work. I wanna work on the blenny and get him healthy, so I may have to overfeed and the algae may come back, but the life of my fish is more important at this point in the game. I'd rather have a see of green then have my blenny die and nuke the tank.Ā 

I know that the meds work so I'm not overly concerned with the algae coming back. My alk looks to have dropped 1dkh in the 4 weeks without a water change. I ended up moving some corals around last night so I could get to a small piece of rock and I think the tank looks good now. I tried to glue my leather to the back wall and it wouldn't hold. I wonder if i have to just super glue it to the backwall without the putty??

Ā 

Alright sorry for the long post but I wanted to update you guys on what's been going on. I hope my blenny can pull through...

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I've been having trouble with my blenny eating. I went to my lfs tonight and got some lrs fish food for herbivores and I just put some in and bam, he started to pick at it. Finally, he's been getting thinner and thinner for the last month. I'm worried he's gonna starve, but this seems like it may be the thing that gets him eating.Ā 

I have tried everything I could think of and was truly getting worried. Everything I've been trying to feed him he has been rejecting. I'll keep posted as to how I fair with the lrs, fingers crossed this may work. I have heard good things about this food and it was my last ditch effort to get my buddy to eat regularly.Ā 

As for the algae well it's probably 80 percent gone now. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I dosed the meds and I'm going to end up doing a small water change tomorrow when I get home from work. I wanna work on the blenny and get him healthy, so I may have to overfeed and the algae may come back, but the life of my fish is more important at this point in the game. I'd rather have a see of green then have my blenny die and nuke the tank.Ā 

I know that the meds work so I'm not overly concerned with the algae coming back. My alk looks to have dropped 1dkh in the 4 weeks without a water change. I ended up moving some corals around last night so I could get to a small piece of rock and I think the tank looks good now. I tried to glue my leather to the back wall and it wouldn't hold. I wonder if i have to just super glue it to the backwall without the putty??

Ā 

Alright sorry for the long post but I wanted to update you guys on what's been going on. I hope my blenny can pull through...

Have you been feeding him algae sheets?

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Have you been feeding him algae sheets?

Yeah the only things that eat the sheets are the emerald crab, clownfish and the hermits lol. I even soaked it in garlic guard then rubber banded it to a rock. He pics at algae in the tank, but he only eats the film algae and it's not enough I guess.Ā 

It kills me because I waited all this time to get one to make sure there was plenty of stuff for him to graze and it didn't work. He doesn't like the hikari food or flakes or pellets. He's a pain in my ass, so I bought the lrs as I've been told and read that their food has helped picky eating fish. Well, when I put some in he actually grabbed a piece and didn't spit it out, so that's a step in the right direction.

Ā 

edit: I have left the sheets in overnight and basically theĀ  whole piece was still intact.

• Like 2

LRS is good food..........

Ā 

I feed it and my Starry would come flying out and eat it all the time. I didnt even feed the herbivor blend just regular LRS........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
StinkyBunny

Grabs some mysis. If you get that shitty PE mysis make damn sure you rinse it well. It's dirty as a used needle laying in the gutter. I have about a dozen different blennies and they all eat it. Blennies are mainly herbivores, but if plankton floats by in the ocean, they'll eat it.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Grabs some mysis. If you get that shitty PE mysis make damn sure you rinse it well. It's dirty as a used needle laying in the gutter. I have about a dozen different blennies and they all eat it. Blennies are mainly herbivores, but if plankton floats by in the ocean, they'll eat it.

Love the flat packs of mysis :lol:

StinkyBunny
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Love the flat packs of mysis :lol:

I think they pack the shit in outhouse water. I get bulk from Brine Shrimp Direct and theirs is MUCH cleaner.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

I think they pack the shit in outhouse water. I get bulk from Brine Shrimp Direct and theirs is MUCH cleaner.

that might be why my fish go nuts...............

Ā 

I just like the mysis for spot feeding corals......the LRS gets stuck in the turkey baster.........dont let mrs crossfit know that one :lol:

• Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, spectra said:

LRS is good food..........

Ā 

I feed it and my Starry would come flying out and eat it all the time. I didnt even feed the herbivor blend just regular LRS........

Ā 

20 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Thank you guysĀ šŸ™‚

I have tried to feed the hikari mysis and he spits that out as well. So far, just the small amount I put in he seemed to be very interested. The test will be tomorrow, I wounder if I should should feed twice a day to see if he starts packing on the pounds? The lrs actually doesn't smell bad like the cube frozen food. It's like actual seafood lol.

Ā 

I was surprised that there was so much flesh in the herbivore blend. Shit's crazy money, but if it doesn't pollute the water and my fish eat it win win. My nems actually got some scraps too lol. I love how a little bit of food hits the water and all the critters emerge lol.Ā 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, spectra said:

theļ»æļ»æ LRS gets stuck in tļ»æhe tuļ»ærkey baļ»æstļ»æeļ»ærļ»æ

yup it did to me as well, I thought it was still frozen then was like, damn thats all chunks. I got the nano pack also to try.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

i would try to feed 2-3x a day on the weekends, 2x a day during the week. They do much better with smaller meals than 1 large meal as do most marine fish.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yup it did to me as well, I thought it was still frozen then was like, damn thats all chunks. I got the nano pack also to try.

The LRS is good and chunky...........will get stuck no matter what.......but still love it.

Ā 

My fish go nuts when I toss it in the tank.

Ā 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

i would try to feed 2-3x a day on the weekends, 2x a day during the week. They do much better with smaller meals than 1 large meal as do most marine fish.

good deal, I'll give that a whirl. So I shouldn't be concerned about killing water quality with that many feedings? I only have the clown and blenny and well the corals and cuc.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

The LRS is good and chunky...........will get stuck no matter what.......but still love it.

Ā 

My fish go nuts when I toss it in the tank.

Ā 

I'm thinking it may be easier if i just use my fingers, take a pinch out of the bag an let it thaw rubbing it in the tank..i'll try it in the morning.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
20 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

good deal, I'll give that a whirl. So I shouldn't be concerned about killing water quality with that many feedings? I only have the clown and blenny and well the corals and cuc.

Might wanna step up your water changes till he gets sorted out.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

Might wanna step up your water changes till he gets sorted out.

awesome thanks again for the help. At least I know what i'm in for a little bit.Ā 

blizzardscout2

You could give him Spirulina flakes. I fed my Starry Blenny those until he got a taste for mysis. All my fish love them. I also tried all sorts of food and that was the winner. He likes LRS too.Ā 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

You could give him Spirulina flakes. I fed my Starry Blenny those until he got a taste for mysis. All my fish love them. I also tried all sorts of food and that was the winner. He likes LRS too.Ā 

Thanks for tip :smilie:. If he doesn't eat the lrs I'll pick up some of those too. I'm down to try anything that people have tried.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

@StinkyBunny@spectraĀ @WV Reefer

Ā 

The lrs food worked!!! The blenny loves that shit. Tonight was the first night I saw him pig out. I fed a small amount when I got home because I wanted to see if he'd actually eat it and not spit it out. Well he ate a good chunk and so I just fed a little bit now and he went nuts for itĀ :happydance:. I'm so happy he is eating, I was getting really worried about him.

Ā 

Thank you guys for your help

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well, the blenny is all for eating now. He is a huge pig and just about tried to take food out of the clowns mouth lol. This is a good sign, I'm so happy he's eating. Now I'm doing the balancing act of feeding him enough, but not too much I have another huge algae problem. Ahhh reef tank life lol.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

@StinkyBunnyĀ I figured I'd summon you here lol. I wanted to ask how your dog was doing? I saw you changed your pic and wanted to make sure all was good.Ā I haven't seen an update or it's possible I missed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well, just a quick update while I'm thinking about it. Blenny is eating the lrs foodĀ like he's starving.... :lol:. OnĀ aĀ serious note,Ā he is starting to gain weight. I have beenĀ doing two small feedings with it and he's sucking it up. I have to say the algae is staying at bayĀ I went from crazy amount to what looks like 90 percent containment. I'm going to be doing one more dose of the reef rx toĀ hopefullyĀ knock it back to close to 100 percent. I wanted to see if the feedings of lrs would contribute to nutrients, but so farĀ so good. I've been feeding it for almost 3 weeks and man what a difference.

Ā 

So I'd have to say it seems like most of the snails I got from aquarium depot have mostly died..Not super impressed. I should have went with reefcleaners cuc. Well won't make that mistake again.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2019 at 8:45 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

@StinkyBunny@spectraĀ @WV Reefer

Ā 

The lrs food worked!!! The blenny loves that shit. Tonight was the first night I saw him pig out. I fed a small amount when I got home because I wanted to see if he'd actually eat it and not spit it out. Well he ate a good chunk and so I just fed a little bit now and he went nuts for itĀ :happydance:. I'm so happy he is eating, I was getting really worried about him.

Ā 

Thank you guys for your help

Ā 

Thats good to hear! šŸ˜Š

• Thanks 1