Pod Your Reef

Dave's 20g glass box ๐ŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I finally ordered my first hanna checker. I ended up getting the alk for now since that is the most important. I'll end up getting the other two at a later on, but it's a start. Also my snail pack and emerald crab are in KY with a delivery date for tomorrow. It'll be nice to have the day off and get some stuff done without the wife home. Hopefully they shipped wellย :unsure:

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well after a long wait today I'm happy to report the shipment of snails and emerald crab came in with what looks like minimal loss. They say to let them be for a few days. The emerald crab is already going to work on the GHA ๐Ÿ˜. Will see how much he can clean up and as a last ditch effort, I'll be trying reef flux.

My Hanna checker should be here next week so looking forward to that.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Not much kinda autopilot..just cleaning algae out every week. I'm hoping that crab starts hitting spots I can't reach. Do they take a couple days to acclimate to the new home? He's found this tiny crevice and hasn't moved since yesterday. I came home from work and he's in the same spot. I see him moving so he's not dead at least.

All the snails I got vanished so not sure what's going on there and they were tiny. A lot smaller than I thought. I saw the nassarius snails out and about last night after lights off.

I think I have quite a few snails that might be dead, not sure though.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So just got back from Harris is wonderland. It's a small reptile store couple towns over and I love it. Had to get reptile food and I figured id grab a couple shots.

IMG_20190113_130734.jpg

IMG_20190113_130730.jpg

IMG_20190113_130723.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Alrighty update...still have algae ๐Ÿ™„.

So I'm running out of salt and I'm about to order some live aquaria salt..anything I should be worried about? Obviously I'm not going to do a huge water change with it, probably the norm of 4 gallon WC.

Also, my emerald crab disappeared...he's most likey in a spot I can't see him so I'll give a couple days and see if he appears.

I'm thinking in the next week maybe weekend I'm going to order reef flux for the algae. I still can't pin point the issue as I've checked every box of advise I see.

Who knows. Alright carry on ๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Alrighty update...still have algae ๐Ÿ™„.

So I'm running out of salt and I'm about to order some live aquaria salt..anything I should be worried about? Obviously I'm not going to do a huge water change with it, probably the norm of 4 gallon WC.

Also, my emerald crab disappeared...he's most likey in a spot I can't see him so I'll give a couple days and see if he appears.

I'm thinking in the next week maybe weekend I'm going to order reef flux for the algae. I still can't pin point the issue as I've checked every box of advise I see.

Who knows. Alright carry on ๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

What kind of food do you use? I canโ€™t remember if youโ€™ve said.ย 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

What kind of food do you use? I canโ€™t remember if youโ€™ve said.ย 

Well I use flake food and I've gotten nori sheets. The nori is as of this weekend and I also feed mysis and rotifers. Mysis and rotifers are like every week and half and flakes are varied. Usually two days then off a day. It's only the clownfish, blenny, snails and coral.

I've never been a heavy handed feeder

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

Flake or pelleted foods are a large source of phosphates.

Hmm is frozen better then? I was always told frozen is worse for nutrients

• Like 1
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

Flake or pelleted foods are a large source of phosphates.

Thatโ€™s why I was asking. ย I think flake food is the devil.ย 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Thatโ€™s why I was asking. ย I think flake food is the devil.ย 

Should I just stick to the cubes? Its not even a pinch like one flake lol.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hmm is frozen better then? I was always told frozen is worse for nutrients

If you rinse frozen food it's better. I generally separate the juice and feed that to the corals after I mix it with other foods and algal compounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

If you rinse frozen food it's better. I generally separate the juice and feed that to the corals after I mix it with other foods and algal compounds.

Hmm what kind of strainer do you end up using? How do you rinse such a small amount?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Should I just stick to the cubes? Its not even a pinch like one flake lol.

I feed all different kinds of frozen food.ย 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

My problem is I only have two fish lol. The clown seems to enjoy the flakes and the cubes of algae. Mysis she can take it or leave it.

I'm still learning the cichlids are way easier to feed lol.

• Haha 2

You can always rinse and refreeze what you don't use. I make my own food. When you go through 15 lbs/wk, it gets expensive buying someone else's mix. I can tailor it to suit certain species like carnivores, butterflies and angels who have specific requirements.

• Like 2

Do you have access to LRS ?

ย 

I feed that and the fish and coral love it...........

ย 

I do feed other frozen stuff but thats my main deal..............

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

Do you have access to LRS ?

ย 

I feed that and the fish and coral love it...........

ย 

I do feed other frozen stuff but thats my main deal..............

Umm yeah I think my lfs has it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So I noticed the other night that my blasto and acan were touching. I just did some reading and it said that an acan will kill a blasto fairly quickly. Maybe I got lucky but the two have been next to each other for a few weeks and no issues. I think my blenny moved the acan so it was resting on the blasto. Needless to say they are both fine, I just found it interesting that people have said acans will kill pretty quickly. My blasto is getting huge and I may have to move it away if thats the case..

• Like 1