Cultivated Reef

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Yeah.  Don’t let it pollute the water. If he’s the only one eating just rubber band a piece to a rock and see if he’s into it.  Also there are various sizes of algae pellets and wafers.  

Hmm good deal thank you 🙂 I wish he wasn't so shy. He takes off when he sees me. I'm gonna order some sheets and give that a try.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hmm good deal thank you 🙂 I wish he wasn't so shy. He takes off when he sees me. I'm gonna order some sheets and give that a try.

I use the large window clip because all my fish are grazers, except the Watchman Goby and she’ll eat it if it flies past her.  🙂

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I use the large window clip because all my fish are grazers, except the Watchman Goby and she’ll eat it if it flies past her.  🙂

I just have to make sure the clip doesn't have any metal right?

6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I just have to make sure the clip doesn't have any metal right?

I use this:

1A267860-1029-48A6-BD6F-9CF18D26BD01.thumb.jpeg.0d7416490469b9d9897c3b63628d746c.jpeg

it makes  less mess than an actual suction cup style clip. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I haven't gotten my blenny to eat since I've had him. Granted I have plenty of algae for him to eat but I want to make sure that'll be fine for him to live off of. He's not getting skinny so I'm pretty sure he's fine, it's more so a piece of mind that I'm doing ok with him. ehh could just be worrying for nothing I guess.

As long as it's not getting skinny you're golden. I have some small pieces of Tong branch rock that I rubber band Nori sheets to for them when the algae starts to go away.

7 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

He'll get used to you after a while. Approach the tank slowly. It takes a while for them to get comfortable with you and to not see you as a threat. When you're a little feller in a big ocean, you have to take cover when everything in the ocean is trying to eat you.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

As long as it's not getting skinny you're golden. I have some small pieces of Tong branch rock that I rubber band Nori sheets to for them when the algae starts to go away.

He'll get used to you after a while. Approach the tank slowly. It takes a while for them to get comfortable with you and to not see you as a threat. When you're a little feller in a big ocean, you have to take cover when everything in the ocean is trying to eat you.

Thanks for making me laugh this morning lol I needed that. Well I'm glad the little man should get used to me in time. He actually has a favorite spot that he'll shoot into and then he pokes his head out and watches me lol. I'm going to keep an eye on him and going to pick up some of the nori. i don't have a lot of experience with these guys so wasn't too sure about it. I've always had cichlids so the personality is way different...

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

M's old cat decided that the cold wood stove was a good place to take a crap one time, lol. He was covered in ash.

We still have no idea what the hell he got into...little bastard lol

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Did my normal water change tonight. Went downstairs to see one of my rock flowers floating around. I shut the pumps down because I was doing maintenance anyways, placed him back on the rocks and sucked out as much algae as possible. I really wish I knew what the #### was going on. Maybe I just need a much larger cuc? I'm waiting till after the holidays to order them, but this is driving me crazy. This is really the first test of my patience since setting it up in march. I don't slack on maintenance so I'm super puzzled. I'm going through and slowly analyzing what's going on, I will get to the bottom of this.

As for the rock flower moving, no clue why he decided to let go. Nothing has changed in the tank, everything else is doing fine.

So here's my update, also my hammer that I thought I killed is one tough SOB. It has regrown all the flesh and almost can't see the skeleton now. I can finally see tentacles so there's that.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Definitely wait till after the holidays to order anything. I won't place any orders right now until after the New Year. Too easy for your cargo to get bumped and sit in a cold warehouse. I am waiting to order from a new supplier till then.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Definitely wait till after the holidays to order anything. I won't place any orders right now until after the New Year. Too easy for your cargo to get bumped and sit in a cold warehouse. I am waiting to order from a new supplier till then.

Yeah after patbacks issue, I'm waiting. I don't want to dose anything to the tank, I'm hoping that a big cuc will be the answer im looking for. IDK what do you think?

I would just do a bunch of small water changes. Just make sure your make up water doesn't have any contaminates in it. Quite a few issues with tanks can be traced to contaminated make up water. A clean up crew is always a good thing.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I would just do a bunch of small water changes. Just make sure your make up water doesn't have any contaminates in it. Quite a few issues with tanks can be traced to contaminated make up water. A clean up crew is always a good thing.

I've tested the rodi water and it's 1 TDS.. maybe that's it. I have the new cartridges, just haven't installed them yet. Guess I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks 🙂

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
53 minutes ago, vlangel said:

That is great that the hammer is coming back to life!

I'm so excited. I thought it was for sure dead, but I guess they will come back. I didn't even do anything special with it. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well as of this morning my rock flower stayed in place...Really weird why it moved all of a sudden, but it's back in the normal spot. Will check on it when I get home.

• Like 1

You are checking parameters right? Cal and alk ? as I said before my TDS is at 2 to 3 on mine. Have new filters just being lazy......

RFAs can just move for no reason or flow can make them move hell it re attached so all should be good.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, spectra said:

You are checking parameters right? Cal and alk ? as I said before my TDS is at 2 to 3 on mine. Have new filters just being lazy......

RFAs can just move for no reason or flow can make them move hell it re attached so all should be good.

Well it's been a little bit on the parameter check...I'm going to do it tonight anyways, but alk holds at around 9.9-10.1, cal is usually 440-450, phospate is .1 and never really moves. 

He did re attach while I was doing the water change, nems crazy little creatures lol

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, spectra said:

Also check salinity...…..not sure how you do it but I did have a refractometer get out of wack and I thought it was all good...…..well not so much. 

I check with refractometer and calibrate with 35ppt fluid :smilie:. Could have just hit a bump in the maturity, will see how everything pans out. I'm changing my rodi filters tonight and i'm going to do a water change after. I'm gonna go cuc heavy in a couple weeks, but for now i'll just keep picking it out and watching it grow lol. I'm hoping once I order some macro algae it'll help kill the gha at the same time.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well shit.... Went to change the filters on the rodi and realized I can't find my damn Teflon tape for the threads 😑. Looks like that'll be tomorrow.

I have rolls of that shit and can't find one of them.... I'll get some tomorrow then I'll find the rest after.

11 hours ago, spectra said:

Also check salinity...…..not sure how you do it but I did have a refractometer get out of wack and I thought it was all good...…..well not so much. 

You kids and your newfangled gadgets. I'm still using my hydrometer from 1977. 😉

10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well shit.... Went to change the filters on the rodi and realized I can't find my damn Teflon tape for the threads 😑. Looks like that'll be tomorrow.

I have rolls of that shit and can't find one of them.... I'll get some tomorrow then I'll find the rest after.

The fastest way to find one is to go buy one, then you'd have a dozen, lol.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Wait telplon on plastic threads?? I just went through that on my garden.. plastic threads hate that shit.. do a quick google on how to seal plastic threads. If you use just a smig to much the fittings will crack in time. Took me like 4 times redoing piping before I realized this.. 

• Like 1