Cultivated Reef

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Wait telplon on plastic threads?? I just went through that on my garden.. plastic threads hate that shit.. do a quick google on how to seal plastic threads. If you use just a smig to much the fittings will crack in time. Took me like 4 times redoing piping before I realized this.. 

Hmm.. interesting. I have the ro buddie and the fittings that thread in had a layer of tape on them. I didn't even realize I'd have to use it. Where they thread into the cartridges is actually pretty thick, I don't know that it'll cause any issues, but who knows.

9 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The fastest way to find one is to go buy one, then you'd have a dozen, lol. 

Truth to that LMAO. I thought I had put it back in my drawer, but nooo...oh well shits cheap enough but I really didn't feel like going back out to get some. I'm narrowing down reasons for the algae, that is the last thing I can think of. I'm supposed to change them every six months and we'll its been 9 on the same filters. Gotta be what's going on even though I'm getting 1 TDS. I actually got a 100gpd membrane for when I start the 75.

That's hopefully gonna start next month, gotta see how much in gifts I get 😬

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, Weikel said:

.. do a quick google on how to seal plastic threads.

I do have to swap the fitting when I change cartridges so it can't be permanent

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Little tank shot clowns photo bombing and blenny is hanging out.

Hammers are looking good, even the one I unintentionally tried to kill. Wish I had a photo from a month ago for comparison.

IMG_20181217_205158.jpg

• Like 6
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well I just put all new cartridges in the ro unit. Went to a 100gpd membrane and wow what a difference. Now the hour and a half flush begins. I'll hook up the the di cartridge once that's done and I'll make all new water. Fingers crossed thats why I'm having algae 😒. Got nothing else to change

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Not sure and my dr is a she :whoa:

I always wondered if they say "Hey smell my finger, what does it smell like?" "Yup I think you're good to go...no cancer this time"

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well I did another water change last night. This time with fresh ro filters and I also filled up the top off water with brand new water. Gonna give this hair algae a fight, I'm hoping I win

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Got some new shots. I moved the acans off to the far right, moved the blasto to the center sand bed by the rock flower and moved the big favia towards the back. I like the layout a little now.

The blenny was out picking at the sand and I finally got to take a nice pic of him.

Hammer is doing better, more polyps everday.

IMG_20181221_180010.jpg

IMG_20181221_175952.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Got some new shots. I moved the acans off to the far right, moved the blasto to the center sand bed by the rock flower and moved the big favia towards the back. I like the layout a little now.

The blenny was out picking at the sand and I finally got to take a nice pic of him.

Hammer is doing better, more polyps everday.

IMG_20181221_180010.jpg

IMG_20181221_175952.jpg

Your colors are nice. 🙂

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Your colors are nice. 🙂

Thanks 🙂 . I feel like it's missing something.. I'm really lost as what to do next. Did you ever get like that? I want to add more, but not sure where I'm going to put things. I know most different species cant touch and so I don't know how to incorporate different things.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thanks 🙂 . I feel like it's missing something.. I'm really lost as what to do next. Did you ever get like that? I want to add more, but not sure where I'm going to put things. I know most different species cant touch and so I don't know how to incorporate different things.

You need something vertical.  Maybe a magnetic floating island or a Gorgonian?

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You need something vertical.  Maybe a magnetic floating island or a Gorgonian?

1 minute ago, spectra said:

gorgonian...................

Hmm. That's temping, how hard are they to take care of? They are non photo synthetic right?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hmm. That's temping, how hard are they to take care of? They are non photo synthetic right?

easy peasy and there are NPS ones but stay away from those. To bad yopu were not closer I have a few Rusty Gorgonians and am going to be fragging them.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

easy peasy and there are NPS ones but stay away from those. To bad yopu were not closer I have a few Rusty Gorgonians and am going to be fragging them.

11 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Not all.  

Thanks I wish I was closer too 🙂 far away from CT. I am gonna look into them and maybe add one. I didnt really think about those, figured they wouldn't be good for beginners.

Thanks you guys 😏

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thanks I wish I was closer too 🙂 far away from CT. I am gonna look into them and maybe add one. I didnt really think about those, figured they wouldn't be good for beginners.

Thanks you guys 😏

Wow, can’t believe I wasn’t following your journal yet. 🙃 Your tank looks really good - I love your RFAs!! And I vote for gorgonian, too! 👍  I recommend KP Aquatics, and the purple sea rod and angular purple sea whip are nice and very hardy. They were among the first things I added to my tank and they’ve done really well. I’m about to order two new gorgs from KP myself next week, probably a knobby sea rod and corky sea finger. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Wow, can’t believe I wasn’t following your journal yet. 🙃 Your tank looks really good - I love your RFAs!! And I vote for gorgonian, too! 👍  I recommend KP Aquatics, and the purple sea rod and angular purple sea whip are nice and very hardy. They were among the first things I added to my tank and they’ve done really well. I’m about to order two new gorgs from KP myself next week, probably a knobby sea rod and corky sea finger. 

Thanks bana :smilie:. I only just started it. It took me till a few weeks ago to actually make a journal. I've been kinda in limbo, not sure what else to add so WV and spectra suggested gorgs. I started looking at them today and I do like them. I am also waiting till after the holiday because I want to add some macro algaes and I also have to get more of a cuc. I saw this finger gorg on kp aquatics that I like. I didn't realize they are sorta easy and hardly so I think I'll be getting something. Kinda biding my time until I start the 75g build. 

Thanks for checking out my page though :smilie:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Get the spiny orange........the corky finger is ok but ugly unless you get a white one and there not available much. Also in a small tank it will shadow a lot of things. I had one but got rid of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the spiny in the center. This was the 14 when I had gorgonians and macro in it. I still have the other gorg on the right but cant remember the name.......both were from KP.

IMG_4665.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Get the spiny orange........the corky finger is ok but ugly unless you get a white one and there not available much. Also in a small tank it will shadow a lot of things. I had one but got rid of it.

Ah, that spiny orange one was pretty but it totally died on me, and as I recall, when I posted about it a couple people said theirs also didn’t make it... my tank has really high nutrients though, and was still very new at the time, so it could have just been the wrong environment for it. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Here is the spiny in the center. This was the 14 when I had gorgonians and macro in it. I still have the other gorg on the right but cant remember the name.......both were from KP.

IMG_4665.jpg

I was gonna ask you guys if KP was a good company, thanks for the info. I see what you were saying about needing something vertical in the tank. Thanks Spectra:smilie:

• Like 1