ReefCleaners.org

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Couple shots ...Blenny was out and about and acans with feeders out. Fed reef foods tonight for the first time. Favias  had the feeders out as well. That one is growing into the rock 😁

IMG_20190204_202551.jpg

IMG_20190204_202538.jpg

IMG_20190204_202517.jpg

• Like 3
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Couple shots ...Blenny was out and about and acans with feeders out. Fed reef foods tonight for the first time. Favias  had the feeders out as well. That one is growing into the rock 😁

IMG_20190204_202551.jpg

IMG_20190204_202538.jpg

IMG_20190204_202517.jpg

That Blenny is a beast!

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

That Blenny is a beast!

Yup, such a great fish. Finally staying out now, it took him a little bit though. 😊

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Water change done and alk holding at 7.7..Going to monitor for the week and see how much it drops. I think i was testing wrong. It seemed to fall .4 every third day, then I checked and it went up .4.... Strange, I didn't shake the reagent hard during the testing until the last time. I'm thinking I have to shake the reagent really good, so I'll be doing that to see if I get different results that are more close to what it should be.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Here's a quick video. This is the first video I have ever put up on youtube of my tank. You can see the algae.....😐I'm working on it though. I have found the problem and it's corrected. Now I just need to work hard and make it all go away.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

The acans are pissed cause I had to move them to clean some and so is the gold hammer on the left. I'll take another video tomorrow and hopefully they won't be all pissy.

2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Here's a quick video. This is the first video I have ever put up on youtube of my tank. You can see the algae.....😐I'm working on it though. I have found the problem and it's corrected. Now I just need to work hard and make it all go away.

Looks nice. 😊

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Thanks guys. I don't know why I'm so critical of it. I get nervous showing it off and I always think it doesn't look good. Maybe thats the artist? I hear artists never like their own work so maybe that's my deal.

4 minutes ago, JR! said:

Those blastos are crazy huge. I'd love to have those. Tank looks great. 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks, I love them and they are growing so well. Believe it or not, but when I got that it was a single head and it was sometime late may I think. It has probably 10 heads now. It's hard to count them cause the new heads wrap around the back of it. 

I'll see if I can dig a pic up from instagram so you can see what I started with lol.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Here it is when I bought it lol. I'm trying to find the favia so you can see the growth on that bad boy..

sorry for the bad pics, I didn't have a sweet camera filter 

IMG_20180423_173455.jpg

IMG_20180509_223517.jpg

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Damn looks nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

The hammer I almost killed is slowly coming back. Hammers take a while to grow huh? Everything else seems to grow pretty quick though.

The biggest problem with corals is people try to feed them food that is too large, smaller is better. One of my favorite things to feed is pureed clams and mussels, they love it mixed with one or more powdered foods. Tanks looks dman good though.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thanks for the tip stinky :smilie:. I have been mixing a little reef roids in with the frozen cubes that I thaw for everyone else. 

When you thaw foods, save the juice and refreeze it for use later.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well ####...besides my cat waking me up in the middle of the night jumping on my tv, I finally get to sleep only to be awoken at 5 cause the inkbird controller alarm was going off. Jump out of bed and look, temp says 87 :whoa:. Stick my hand in the tank and it's ice cold, throw a glass tstat in and the temp is 68....#### me. Everything seems fine in tank and it looks like the inkbird temp prob shit the bed. I guess it's good that it is on the cold side rather than it being on the hot side. I ordered a new one and that should be here on thursday. For now I calibrated it as close to the temp as I could get it. ####ing thing only has a +/- 15 degree swing so I'm off by about 5 degrees. I adjusted it to compensate, fingers crossed what it looks like when I get home from work today. 

We are about to get a good snow pounding, then a nice ice layer to top it off. Going home at 5 should be ####ing fun.

#### tuesday right in the ass...stupid second monday

• Sad 4
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So, since i'm in an unintended experiment, I'm curious to see how everything does in 10 degree colder water. I would have to think that the colder water would be the preferable choice of temps. I could be wrong though. We shall see, hopefully the calculations I made while i was still sleeping are correct. When I get home the temp should be around 75-76 which is ok, but I was still concerned with the actual temp from this morning. I don't know how long it was off because it was reading the "right" temp last night. Everything seemed open and happy yesturday when I got home. 

If you were to have a temp swing would you want it cold or hot? I would think hot would be bad because of the loss of o2. Have any of you guys been in a situation like this?

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I was thinking of something else, all the water params would be skewed as well right?? Salinity and alk would be off because of the difference in temp, would that be enough to harm corals???

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well good news, my wife just got home and called me with the temps. Controller is where i reset at 81 and tank temp is 72 so I was close to the set point. Going to bump it and all should be good till the new controller comes in on friday. Light's are still off in the tank so I don't know how the corals are doing just yet, but the fish seem to be fine. I can now relax while I rot away at work lol.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well ####...besides my cat waking me up in the middle of the night jumping on my tv, I finally get to sleep only to be awoken at 5 cause the inkbird controller alarm was going off. Jump out of bed and look, temp says 87 :whoa:. Stick my hand in the tank and it's ice cold, throw a glass tstat in and the temp is 68....#### me. Everything seems fine in tank and it looks like the inkbird temp prob shit the bed. I guess it's good that it is on the cold side rather than it being on the hot side. I ordered a new one and that should be here on thursday. For now I calibrated it as close to the temp as I could get it. ####ing thing only has a +/- 15 degree swing so I'm off by about 5 degrees. I adjusted it to compensate, fingers crossed what it looks like when I get home from work today. 

We are about to get a good snow pounding, then a nice ice layer to top it off. Going home at 5 should be ####ing fun.

#### tuesday right in the ass...stupid second monday

I would think that on the colder side would be better, hopefully everything will be fine, I would just be sure to bring the temp back up gradually and try not to overshoot it... my tank didn’t do well when the temp was up above 80. Also, my opinion may be totally off... I’m totally a noob still, so hopefully some experienced reefers will chime in here. 🙂

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I would think that on the colder side would be better, hopefully everything will be fine, I would just be sure to bring the temp back up gradually and try not to overshoot it... my tank didn’t do well when the temp was up above 80. Also, my opinion may be totally off... I’m totally a noob still, so hopefully some experienced reefers will chime in here. 🙂

No thanks for the input :smilie:. I'm leaving work early cause of the doom and gloom snow, so I'll bump the temp a few degrees over the course of the afternoon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So, since i'm in an unintended experiment, I'm curious to see how everything does in 10 degree colder water. I would have to think that the colder water would be the preferable choice of temps. I could be wrong though. We shall see, hopefully the calculations I made while i was still sleeping are correct. When I get home the temp should be around 75-76 which is ok, but I was still concerned with the actual temp from this morning. I don't know how long it was off because it was reading the "right" temp last night. Everything seemed open and happy yesturday when I got home. 

If you were to have a temp swing would you want it cold or hot? I would think hot would be bad because of the loss of o2. Have any of you guys been in a situation like this?

Things are much more resilient than we give them credit for. The temp raising would be a much bigger concern.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
38 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Things are much more resilient than we give them credit for. The temp raising would be a much bigger concern.  

Yeah I'm glad I had the controller. It was a shocking thing to be woken up too lol. I just got home from work and everything seems fine. I bumped the temp up a couple degrees. Definitely wasn't ready for that to happen...time for a sandwich and a nap 😁

• Like 2