Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So I noticed the other night that my blasto and acan were touching. I just did some reading and it said that an acan will kill a blasto fairly quickly. Maybe I got lucky but the two have been next to each other for a few weeks and no issues. I think my blenny moved the acan so it was resting on the blasto. Needless to say they are both fine, I just found it interesting that people have said acans will kill pretty quickly. My blasto is getting huge and I may have to move it away if thats the case..

I have some that snuggle with my acans.Ā 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have some that snuggle with my acans.Ā 

It was funny, when I moved the acan the part that was rested on the blaso was receded some..I thought for sure the blasto had stung it lol. I guess I was wrong

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Big maintenance tonight. I'm going to switch over to frozen food and see if I can get the algae under control. If not, I'm going to do the reef flux treatment and start over. I'm holding off on it till I can pin point wtf I'm doing wrong cause I don't want to have it come back. Also, this is the last water change with rc as I ordered live aquaria salt mix and that should be here tomorrow.Ā 

I shake and stir the salt mix all the time, but the last few batches I made had floating particles in it. I had to dump the last 5 gallons I made cause it looked like a snow globe. I'll look when I go home and hopefully this mix is fine. We shall see though....

Ā 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, spectra said:

What kind of salt are you using ? Water heated or not ?Ā 

Ā 

I use RSCP and heat the water and never have any floaters...ā€¦..

It's weird cause I haven't had it happen before. It's reef crystals and this was the very bottom of the bag. It's gotta be that whatever is left is all jacked.

I make the rodi water add salt and mix. Usually let it do it's thing for a day, then I add heat and a pump, bring to temp and boom done. This last bit sucks lol.

I wanted to use the live aquaria salt cause it's cheap and people have had good luck with it. I figured why not give it a shot.

I mix the hell out of the salt before I use it too because it settles and separates.

• Like 1

I use reef crystals and mix it with a heater and a power head for 24 hrs. I find it mixes up best that way for me. I also turn the bucket each time to mix it all up.Ā 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well never used the reef crystals but I do use a power head in the bucket. Is that how you are mixing ?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I use reef crystals and mix it with a heater and a power head for 24 hrs. I find it mixes up best that way for me. I also turn the bucket each time to mix it all up.Ā 

Yup that's what I do as well. I even gonna far as to put an air stone in it also...give it a little more surface agitation

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

One reason for the switch is so I don't have to mix it for so long. I'd like to mix it for a few hours and be done. Sometimes I foret to make water and I have to postpone a water change for a day.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well who knows then.............maybe just some shit at the bottom of the salt mix maybe...........

Yeah who knows lol. Ohh and my emerald is lazy I think. I've heard of people having them and they decimate GHA in weeks. Mine I think cleared a one ince square šŸ˜‚

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah who knows lol. Ohh and my emerald is lazy I think. I've heard of people having them and they decimate GHA in weeks. Mine I think cleared a one ince square šŸ˜‚

Ā 

I hate crabs............I have 2 hermits in my 100 and the only reason is I didnt want to flush them.........and of course both are in cerith shells now..........

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
21 minutes ago, spectra said:

Ā 

I hate crabs............I have 2 hermits in my 100 and the only reason is I didnt want to flush them.........and of course both are in cerith shells now..........

They are cool to watch... Just not when they go on a murder spree lol

Back in the 70s we had a saying. Instant Ocean, good enough to kill brine shrimp, not a whole hell of a lot has changed in 40 years. I had issues with that shit causing the alkalinity to plummet in my systems. I use Red Sea blue bucket and Aquaforest salts in my systems.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
28 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Back in the 70s we had a saying. Instant Ocean, good enough to kill brine shrimp, not a whole hell of a lot has changed in 40 years. I had issues with that shit causing the alkalinity to plummet in my systems. I use Red Sea blue bucket and Aquaforest salts in my systems.

Well I just got a shipment of goodies šŸ™‚ I got the live aquaria salt, activated carbon, purigen, mesh bags, reef flux and an algae clip. I have been using chemipure blue and it does get kinda pricey changing it out every few weeks. The carbon doesn't have anything to say how much I'm supposed to use. Any general rule of thumb?

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Your snake is so cuteĀ :wub:

Ā 

My Mexican turbo eats all myĀ GHA but they kind of a bulldozer.... always tossing my frag rack around.Ā 

Thanks TamberavĀ :smilie:, He's my buddy. I was considering a turbo, but because of the bulldozer that they are I decided not too. I'm hoping once it hits a year old maybe it'll start to level off some more. I'll figure it out, just doing small changes until I get a grasp on it.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:12 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well I just got a shipment of goodies šŸ™‚ I got the live aquaria salt, activated carbon, purigen, mesh bags, reef flux and an algae clip. I have been using chemipure blue and it does get kinda pricey changing it out every few weeks. The carbon doesn't have anything to say how much I'm supposed to use. Any general rule of thumb?

I donā€™t know the rule of thumb but I used to use about third of a cup in my biocube 32 ... changed it once a month and rinsed it out during wc. Reef flux? Getting tired of that gha šŸ¤Ŗ

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I donā€™t know the rule of thumb but I used to use about third of a cup in my biocube 32 ... changed it once a month and rinsed it out during wc. Reef flux? Getting tired of that gha šŸ¤Ŗ

Yes sir I am. I'm still holding off on dosing, but it's getting closer. I did mess up ordering the purigen, I ordered the bag that treats 100 gallonsĀ :unsure:. Now i'm pretty confident that I can figure out how much to use, but I was hoping for a big bottle. I guess that's what I get for ordering while busy at work. How often do you guys rinse the bag that the carbon is in? Should I be taking that out once a week and rinsing under the sink?? I have been using the chemipure blue and I never really rinse it, just replace after like 3 weeks. Think that could some of the algae issue?

Ā 

edit: lol yup totally missed that you said you rinse once a week

39 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yes sir I am. I'm still holding off on dosing, but it's getting closer. I did mess up ordering the purigen, I ordered the bag that treats 100 gallonsĀ :unsure:. Now i'm pretty confident that I can figure out how much to use, but I was hoping for a big bottle. I guess that's what I get for ordering while busy at work. How often do you guys rinse the bag that the carbon is in? Should I be taking that out once a week and rinsing under the sink?? I have been using the chemipure blue and I never really rinse it, just replace after like 3 weeks. Think that could some of the algae issue?

Ā 

edit: lol yup totally missed that you said you rinse once a week

Ha yea once a week it catches waste almost as good as floss . I added the bag of purgein to my tank once I dunno what it did but pissed the corals off pretty good so I removed it lol.. maybe cut it and add a Ā bit to your carbon bagĀ 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, Weikel said:

Ha yea once a week it catches waste almost as good as floss . I added the bag of purgein to my tank once I dunno what it did but pissed the corals off pretty good so I removed it lol.. maybe cut it and add a Ā bit to your carbon bagĀ 

I'm gonna just add a little bit and I'll make sure I was the bags. I actually bought six extra bags so I'll make sure it gets cleaned bags. So many things I'm learning with this tank. Hopefully I get all the dumb things out of my system so when I get the 75 running I don't make them.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I dosed the reef flux for the first time tonight. I used the new Hanna checker and I'm gonna monitor alk for the next two weeks. Directions don't say anything about water changes, but from all the readings I'm not going to do any. Hopefully I can keep the tank stable. All media is out and I just have floss right now. Will see what happens.

All is at 7.7...how far can I safely let it drop before I need to intervene? All of my testing it seems it stays stable for a week between changes. I think it dropped about .2 in that time. I think I'll be fine for two weeks.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok, I ordered seachem two part today. I checked my alk tonight and It is down to 7.3 from 7.7 on sunday. I did test 3 hours later so I don't know if that will make a difference, but I'm kinda worried.. I probably wont get the 2 part till the weekend or early next week. I wonder if I should say #### it do a water change and wait till the 2 part gets here and then try the flux rx again.Ā 

Ā 

edit: I'm freaking out a little , how far is an acceptable drop before I should dose. I do water changes every week so I haven't really gone this long with out a change...