SaltCritters.com

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I didn't even realize that!! This is the oldest saltwater tank i've ever had... That makes a lot more sense. So i'm guessing i'll have to dose nutrients as well as alk no?

I haven't considered direct dosing N&P yet....it's just a free pass to feed heavier for me šŸ˜„Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
53 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Surprising though was the fact that my nutrients bottomed out with the lack of maintenance... that's what is kinda weird to me. I thought it'd be the opposite.Ā 

Yes I also would have thought nutrients would be high.Ā 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I like to do bottled phyto instead of straight P04, figure it gives pods and corals something to snack on while keeping nutrients up, but since it's less accurate my tank goes through swings, honestly my systems just a constant-mess lol. Do whatever Mitten suggests haha.

Oh, and all-for-reef will slowly bring your nutrient levels down as well, something to be aware of, the effect isn't huge but it is there.

No worries, IĀ appreciate the help. I didn't know that about the all for reef so i'll be keeping an eye out for that. As for phyto, I dose that every other day. I even upped using reef roids and I was still not getting p04 readings. That's why I just bought the seachem flourish. I actually wondered if I had to keep dosing when I dosed and two days later I had zero p04 again. I'll have to figure out when to dose it.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I haven't considered direct dosing N&P yet....it's just a free pass to feed heavier for me šŸ˜„Ā 

lol I love it!! Once I get stuff on track again, I might have to maybe buy some ofĀ  your fragsĀ :flower:

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yes I also would have thought nutrients would be high.Ā 

Maybe my tank got to the point of maturity and the corals actually used it up. Did I miss my tank hitting puberty??Ā :lol:

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I like to do bottled phyto instead of straight P04

You should take that bottle and start culturing your own.Ā  It's super easy, and I make more than a gallon of phyto a week.Ā  I often dose my tanks so that they are noticeably green, then use some for my rotifer culter, and finally dump the rest down the drain.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, seabass said:

You should take that bottle and start culturing your own.Ā  It's super easy, and I make more than a gallon of phyto a week.Ā  I often dose my tanks so that they are noticeably green, then use some for my rotifer culter, and finally dump the rest down the drain.

wait!!? You can dump thatĀ  much phyto in at one time???

• Like 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

wait!!? You can dump thatĀ  much phyto in at one time???

I suppose so.Ā  I mean, I do anyway. :lol:Ā  Most people would probably tell you not to, and maybe most people shouldn't. :unsure:

Ā 

I guess that's something that can be built up over time.Ā  But I never see any problems from doing this.Ā  IDK, maybe that would be a bad move on a new tank and is better tolerated by a more mature tank.

Ā 

I feel that most people shouldn't do what I do. :lol:Ā  My advice is usually more conservative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
53 minutes ago, seabass said:

I suppose so.Ā  I mean, I do anyway. :lol:Ā  Most people would probably tell you not to, and maybe most people shouldn't. :unsure:

Ā 

I guess that's something that can be built up over time.Ā  But I never see any problems from doing this.Ā  IDK, maybe that would be a bad move on a new tank and is better tolerated by a more mature tank.

Ā 

I feel that most people shouldn't do what I do. :lol:Ā  My advice is usually more conservative.

Honestly I think my tank bottomed out before due to my not really noticing just how much Hayi I had growing, I think you get away with your phyto dosing because, from what I understand, homegrown has less P04 and you have enough macroalgae to make most systems look like a desolate wasteland XD

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I think you get away with your phyto dosing because, from what I understand, homegrown has less P04 and you have enough macroalgae to make most systems look like a desolate wasteland XD

You're probably right.Ā  The macro is probably longing for the occasional nutrient dump, and use it up relatively quickly.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's why I just bought the seachem flourish. I actually wondered if I had to keep dosing when I dosed and two days later I had zero p04 again. I'll have to figure out when to dose it.

I thought about this too.. going to add more fish and feed like crazy first and see what happens

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
48 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I thought about this too.. going to add more fish and feed like crazy first and see what happens

I was feeding heavy at one point and still couldn't get po4 to register. Good luck hopefully it works for you.Ā 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I was feeding heavy at one point and still couldn't get po4 to register.

Here's my thought on feeding.Ā  While heavy feeding may not be a problem, excess feeding (not only introduces nutrients) adds a bunch of organics.Ā  I feel excess organics is often more of a problem than excess nutrients.

Ā 

If you feed lightly, then increasing the amount of food may be helpful.Ā  However, if you are mainly trying to increase inorganic nutrients, you might consider dosing a cleaner source.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Here's my thought on feeding.Ā  While heavy feeding may not be a problem, excess feeding (not only introduces nutrients) adds a bunch of organics.Ā  I feel excess organics is often more of a problem than excess nutrients.

Ā 

If you feed lightly, then increasing the amount of food may be helpful.Ā  However, if you are mainly trying to increase inorganic nutrients, you might consider dosing a cleaner source.

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How heavy were you feeding? How much and how often?Ā 

That makes sense. I tried the feeding heavy for a short period. I decided against heavy feeding and just stick to the normal... reef roids once a week and lrs food for the clownfish. That's it..Ā 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Ā 

This is why I dose nutrients instead of overfeeding as well, I don't think rot's desirable in a system, plus it takes allot longer to process so it's hard to gaugeĀ how muchĀ you're actually adding until it's a problem. Could be splitting hairs though.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

This is why I dose nutrients instead of overfeeding as well, I don't think rot's desirable in a system, plus it takes allot longer to process so it's hard to gaugeĀ how muchĀ you're actually adding until it's a problem. Could be splitting hairs though.

No you make a good point. Rotting food can't be good in a small system. I do like the dosing way better. I know if I out 5ml in it, po4 shows up just a hint of blue on the test kit.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

No you make a good point. Rotting food can't be good in a small system. I do like the dosing way better. I know if I out 5ml in it, po4 shows up just a hint of blue on the test kit.

You probably know this already, and I'll stop spamming your thread, but seachem has a dosing calculator you can use to find the exact amount you need to reach a certain ppm. It's also worth bearing in mind that P04 acts as an alkalinity-buffer and assists in keeping a higher ph/alk without encountering precipitation. Because of this, in a marine tank, it often takes a decent-amount more to hit the advertised numbers, since it ends up bound to all kinds of stuff (including the rock), but it makes for a great starting-point.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
38 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

You probably know this already, and I'll stop spamming your thread, but seachem has a dosing calculator you can use to find the exact amount you need to reach a certain ppm. It's also worth bearing in mind that P04 acts as an alkalinity-buffer and assists in keeping a higher ph/alk without encountering precipitation. Because of this, in a marine tank, it often takes a decent-amount more to hit the advertised numbers, since it ends up bound to all kinds of stuff (including the rock), but it makes for a great starting-point.

Don't worry you're not spamming and I didn't know they had a dosing calculator šŸ˜®. I just dose until I get a reading lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Connector Inspection GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Is that you or Jack.............. update.............update.................update............... oh I looked at the tank today................

• Haha 2

Hell we have the same tanks to................only mine has a sump so its the 35 or something like that............... mine has hair algae everywhere.................. I need something to eat it that wont get eaten by the angler........... :lol:

• Like 1