ReefCleaners.org

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I think you might be too cautious over a number which doesn't really matter so long as it isn't 0.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-parameters-of-some-masters.263/

I think i'm a little trigger shy to be honest :lol:. Maybe trying to be too calculated? I'm not usually a numbers chaser either. Usually just let the tank do it's thing. Check alk and that's usually it. Gonna just do the feeding and see how everything responds. I kicked around the idea of feeding reef roids every week instead of every few weeks...

thank you for the link that looks like a great read :smilie:

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

just stop measuring, then you won't have to think about it 🤣

That's a great point man :wink:

• Like 2

I ended up with large cell amphi dinos from zeroing-out after a tank transfer, had to dose nearly .2 ppm phosphate a day for a few weeks before I was able to have detectable phosphates in the water. And the dinos are still on my rocks, I don't think there's any way to actually get a full remission from the strain I ended up with lol.

Personally I no longer let my levels fall below 0.2, plenty of sps systems do the same (Which is why I shared that link, there are multiple systems in there with 0.2+ P04 and no algae), ULNS was a craze and has its' place but trying to apply only part of its' concepts to all systems - especially our small systems - doesn't seem to be working out well on the whole. Most folks on these forums, know it or not, are using the simple and dirty techniques the Germans passed-on to us across the puddle, saving us from all kinds of high-tech boondogglery and making the hobby approachable/successful in the first place.

My .02, don't throw a bunch more food in the system with the express intent of letting it rot, grab a $5 bottle of phosphates and dose to .05 - then just figure out what you need to keep it around there, throw in a few more herbivore snails and don't worry about it.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
31 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I ended up with large cell amphi dinos from zeroing-out after a tank transfer, had to dose nearly .2 ppm phosphate a day for a few weeks before I was able to have detectable phosphates in the water. And the dinos are still on my rocks, I don't think there's any way to actually get a full remission from the strain I ended up with lol.

Personally I no longer let my levels fall below 0.2, plenty of sps systems do the same (Which is why I shared that link, there are multiple systems in there with 0.2+ P04 and no algae), ULNS was a craze and has its' place but trying to apply only part of its' concepts to all systems - especially our small systems - doesn't seem to be working out well on the whole. Most folks on these forums, know it or not, are using the simple and dirty techniques the Germans passed-on to us across the puddle, saving us from all kinds of high-tech boondogglery and making the hobby approachable/successful in the first place.

My .02, don't throw a bunch more food in the system with the express intent of letting it rot, grab a $5 bottle of phosphates and dose to .05 - then just figure out what you need to keep it around there, throw in a few more herbivore snails and don't worry about it.

Ouch.. I've read too much on dinos… Sorta why I tested p04. I tested it like three times :smilie:.. I even asked my wife "he does look like it's got blue tint?" She said no it's clear as day lol. I've always had nutrients and that's why this one is puzzling. I've been reading like a fiend the last few days trying to learn as much as I could. Saw some things about maybe letting detritus settle for a bit longer, maybe don't do a water change.. I think the 15 nitrates i'm at should be fine. I'm really thinking reef roids might help bring the p04 up.... obviously not overdue it, but feed it generously.

I'll have to see what happens over the week.

thanks for helping me out and I'm in the process of reading that reef 2 reef article.. between work phone calls that is :lol:

edit: i'm due for a lfs run, i'm sure he has phosphate and i'll grab some more snails. I'm due for a refresh anyways.. at least grab a few then do an order with reef cleaners for the rest.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How's your tank ticking over mate?

It's ticking along. Not much change except i'm getting a tiny reading of p04 which the corals are responding positive to. I have to do a water change tonight and clean up the glass. I actually lowered my light back to where it was. I'm gonna run some tests tonight and see where everything is at. 

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I just realized that I haven't posted an update in a while............

update:

I still have two tanks.. one with water and one without water. 

Back to your regularly scheduled program 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok so I'm home now so I can do an actual update.

I almost killed both purple stylos..key is almost. They started to stn and it just stopped and started to regrow over where is stn'd.

I actually mounted all my corals except for two. I have only 2 spots with gha and the bottom of the tank looks amazing. It doesn't look like a Forrest anymore and I have a bunch of Coraline algae taking up the space. I'm pretty sure the blenny eats detritus because there is almost none on the bottom. There is obviously some but I hit those spots on water change day.

The corals have all bounced back from the lack of po4. Only think is the bubble gum digis have lost that neon green and blue tips 🤔. Who knows what happened, but I'm just gonna watch it for a few months and see if they color up.

Ok enough of an update. I'll keep this short for you guys.

I'm gonna throw up some pics as soon as I get out of my work clothes so stay tuned.

1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

You still reef bruh?

I do, I decided I would just let the tank do its thing lol

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Here we go. The stylos pics are the only spot with algae. I just have to pic it offz just been super lazy. You can see algae in the skeleton of the Stylo and the skin is growing right over it. Pretty wild to witness.

The one rock with the nems and mushrooms two months ago you couldn't even see the rock. The glass you couldn't even see glass just algae. This tank looked like SHIT. Vibrant worked amazing and now that the tank is older, barebottom seems to be finally stabilizing.

IMG_20200306_175431_MP.jpg

IMG_20200306_175419.jpg

IMG_20200306_175412.jpg

IMG_20200306_175405.jpg

IMG_20200306_175348.jpg

IMG_20200306_175338.jpg

IMG_20200306_175325.jpg

IMG_20200306_175310_MP.jpg

Basically, all of the rockwork wqs something I couldn't see it was so bad. I wish I had better before pics.

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

Amazing the lack of gha now.. what was the final trick.. vibrant?

Yup. I started with the min dose and over 9 weeks upped the dose. Nothing was even bothered

I did for 9 weeks suck out so much algae. So it was me and vibrant working together. It was a pain in the ass for sure

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yup. I started with the min dose and over 9 weeks upped the dose. Nothing was even bothered

I did for 9 weeks suck out so much algae. So it was me and vibrant working together. It was a pain in the ass for sure

How long have you been off the vibrant?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Here's an older one... See how much algae was on the bottom and the rocks. It's a terrible pic and it's hard to see exactly what it looked like

IMG_20191204_200154_MP.jpg

You can see the same spot just from the side in the last picture.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
11 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

According to my aquarium app almost a month. I have dosed it twice since then.

Sooooo then your still using it🤨

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, FISHnChix said:

Sooooo then your still using it🤨

Yeah good point lol. Not twice a week and I'll probably keep with it maybe once a month? or until I run out. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I like looking at the tank now so that's a plus. It's crazy what it looked like before and what it looks like now. I'm thinking of adding my second aqamai pump that i have. I thought about throwing it in at the very bottom to keep the detritus suspended and get it out from under the rocks. Still deciding on that that though. 

Funny thing is i haven't changed my maintenance at all. It must have been a crazy imbalance and plus i made sure the tank doesn't get direct sunlight now, so i'd have to think that helps too. 

So far the few snails i have are probably doing a great job, plus the blenny being the fat ass that he is is probably helping out too. 

I forgot, i did hook up my ato finally so that helps out a ton. I decided to just make 30 gallons of rodi water and just pump 5 gallons out when i need it. I use the rodi water for the lizard too.

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

One lesson that's hard to learn is to stop ####ing with things. I don't chase numbers anymore. I feed the tank well and do water changes every week. I usually leave the film algae on the glass for the blenny to eat. I did clean the glass three days ago and it's nice that it's not covered in a day. 

Ohh I did forget to add that i turkey bast the rocks and under them every other day.. turn this bitch into a snow globe lol. 

I NEED YOUR ACANS. The yellowish orange ones. 

I have small 11 head colony of yellow Japanese acans but they're now where that size 😍

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
42 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I NEED YOUR ACANS. The yellowish orange ones. 

I have small 11 head colony of yellow Japanese acans but they're now where that size 😍

You are talking about the acan echinata right? If thats the one i would almost just give it to you lol. I found out that was super aggressive and tried to kill my favia lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
44 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

You are talking about the acan echinata right? If thats the one i would almost just give it to you lol. I found out that was super aggressive and tried to kill my favia lol

👀👀👀 My tank is full of Richards and aggressive coral i.e 5 torches, big ass bta, 4 lobos, etc haha. 

Maybe we can figure out a PayPal deal for you to ship that bad Boi to me.... 

• Like 1