ReefCleaners.org

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

I hope that doesn’t happy with mind.  Both those peppermints go after me when I mess with the corals. I was moving frags to what I hope are their permanent homes and they both kept coming at me. I literally flung the male off me. Super annoying creepy boogers!!

That's kinda creepy lol. I don't have anything that's gonna crawl up my arm. The clown she does her best at pissing me off. I think she's gonna draw blood once she gets a little larger

2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's kinda creepy lol. I don't have anything that's gonna crawl up my arm. The clown she does her best at pissing me off. I think she's gonna draw blood once she gets a little larger

People keep saying that- am I missing something and the things have bigger teeth than I imagine?

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

People keep saying that- am I missing something and the things have bigger teeth than I imagine?

Yup they have some chompers I guess. They have to get a little bigger though.

• Like 2

Yea, clowns WILL draw blood when they get older. The only ones I keep are my African Orange Skunk clowns with their ritteri anemone that I think is getting ready to split. I don't doubt that those omanensis would take a chunk out of you if given 1/2 a chance. Another bastard fish are Clown triggers, miserable shits. My Titan triggers are gentile giants except then they're hungry. They have learned to spit water to get my attention, very intelligent fish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yea, clowns WILL draw blood when they get older. The only ones I keep are my African Orange Skunk clowns with their ritteri anemone that I think is getting ready to split. I don't doubt that those omanensis would take a chunk out of you if given 1/2 a chance. Another bastard fish are Clown triggers, miserable shits. My Titan triggers are gentile giants except then they're hungry. They have learned to spit water to get my attention, very intelligent fish.

Any chance with my bitch of a clown of me adding a fish? Especially a peaceful one?

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Any chance with my bitch of a clown of me adding a fish? Especially a peaceful one?

um nope.....................

clowns suck...................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, spectra said:

um nope.....................

clowns suck...................

I wonder if I take the clown out put him in a fish bowl for an hour, add the new fish wait another hour then dump the clown back in. Could make it seem like she's the newbie? 🤣

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I wonder if I take the clown out put him in a fish bowl for an hour, add the new fish wait another hour then dump the clown back in. Could make it seem like she's the newbie? 🤣

Well maybe.................I just hate it when fish bite me so no clowns.................

• Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, spectra said:

Well maybe.................I just hate it when fish bite me so no clowns.................

I really didn't think they were such shit heads. I would have gone a different direction 🙄

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Another bastard fish are Clown triggers, 

Ahhh man that's my favorite fish.. had a aggresive tank when I was kid and forced way to big of fish in my tank .. loved them all but was stupid.. had a undilated trigger, clown trigger,  picasso trigger, Niger trigger, grouper,  porcupine puffer , snowflake eel, and queen trigger, starry trigger, all in 30 gallon and never did one water change.. man I had no idea wtf I was doing...

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Ahhh man that's my favorite fish.. had a aggresive tank when I was kid and forced way to big of fish in my tank .. loved them all but was stupid.. had a undilated trigger, clown trigger,  picasso trigger, Niger trigger, grouper,  porcupine puffer , snowflake eel, and queen trigger, starry trigger, all in 30 gallon and never did one water change.. man I had no idea wtf I was doing...

Man that's a ton of fish in a 30 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

My favorite trigger is the Assassi trigger. Every damn time I get one it sells in a few days and I always tack on $100 so nobody will buy it. I guess people have deep enough pockets. Might jack the next one up $200. A ice reef safe one if the Blu Throat trigger, they don't get very big.

As for the clown, see if your shop will take it in trade. What people forget is clowns are in the damsel family and the ONLY damsels I'd have in my tank are chromis and Springer's damsels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

My favorite trigger is the Assassi trigger. Every damn time I get one it sells in a few days and I always tack on $100 so nobody will buy it. I guess people have deep enough pockets. Might jack the next one up $200. A ice reef safe one if the Blu Throat trigger, they don't get very big.

As for the clown, see if your shop will take it in trade. What people forget is clowns are in the damsel family and the ONLY damsels I'd have in my tank are chromis and Springer's damsels.

I'm torn between the blue green chromis and that royal gramma. I really think if I take the clown out and throw him in a fish bowl then reintroduce him he'll be fine. I used to do that with aggressive cichlids. Remove him for a while then toss it back in. It usually worked. Ehh, will see what happens, thanks for the help :smilie: 

Worst case I get all these cool fish for the 75 when that's up and running.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm torn between the blue green chromis and that royal gramma. I really think if I take the clown out and throw him in a fish bowl then reintroduce him he'll be fine. I used to do that with aggressive cichlids. Remove him for a while then toss it back in. It usually worked. Ehh, will see what happens, thanks for the help :smilie: 

Worst case I get all these cool fish for the 75 when that's up and running.

I did the same with aggressive FW fish as well. i had to make changes to the scape as well however so that they don't recognise the tank as their territory

3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I think the clown would have to be out of the tank more than an hour or two. Possibly a bucket overnight and while it is out of the tank re-scape it a little bit.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I think the clown would have to be out of the tank more than an hour or two. Possibly a bucket overnight and while it is out of the tank re-scape it a little bit.

I was thinking that. I have plenty of buckets for a temp jail :lol:. Still not sold on another fish for this tank. I like having a very small bio load, but at the same time I could use another fish swimming around.

Just now, Ratvan said:

I did the same with aggressive FW fish as well. i had to make changes to the scape as well however so that they don't recognise the tank as their territory

Isn't it funny that you can trick them like that :lol:.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok here is a little quick update video. I moved the KPS to the bottom back of the tank and have strong flow coming from the return pump. It's blowing shit all over now which is good. At least the over flow will collect it all now.

My question is do you guys think the flow will fine for the two montis?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ok here is a little quick update video. I moved the KPS to the bottom back of the tank and have strong flow coming from the return pump. It's blowing shit all over now which is good. At least the over flow will collect it all now.

My question is do you guys think the flow will fine for the two montis?

water movement at the top looks good. 

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

water movement at the top looks good. 

I don't ever have to worry about oxygenated water 😄. That little return pump moves water. I'm just concerned about flow for the montis. There has to be good flow cause the hammers and frogspawn sway pretty hard at times. I do have to say its nice not having sand. I need to find good snails for the bare bottom... Something that loves detritus.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Do a water change.

I'm doing one now in a little bit actually. I wonder if the new tank plus Barr bottom is messing with parms a little. Alk is always at 8.5- 8.8

I wonder if the imbalance might be nitrate related. It's not really high, it was about 10-20 ish... Think that could be the cause? Or is it just being pissed off? Everyone else is fine.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok... so bare bottom is way more challenging than I had originally though. It seems it takes way longer to get stable. I'm starting to get more algae then i'd like to see so I ordered a brand new cuc from @johnmaloney at reef cleaners. They are gonna have some work to do and hopefully get the algae a little under control. Tested nitrates and i'm sitting at around 10.

Haven't tested phosphates but i'd have to imagine they aren't that high either.

My montis polyps are closed tight still. Ahh, reef keeping at it's best lol. Alk has been stable for a week with dosing, but still no idea why just one monti is pissed. The rest of my corals are open and fine... Oh well, just keep doing water changes and letting the system settle.

• Like 7