Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Ratvan said:

Oh pretty. I keep eyeing up Acanthophora and Blue Ochtodes

Oh nice :smilie:Ā i'm hoping that if I add macros now they will do better since i don't have a gha outbreak. Will see though.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
19 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm leaning towards a little blenny. Since I went bare bottom I figured no wrasses. I have to get a top if in going to get one though. I'm just so happy with this tank so far. Now as long as I don't f it up šŸ˜„. I might try my hand at some macro, didn't have good luck with it the last time. I think all the gha was killing it.

Those 2 that I suggested form a mucous cocoon at night in a cave, they don't sleep in the sand.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Those 2 that I suggested form a mucous cocoon at night in a cave, they don't sleep in the sand.

That's so cool. Hmm now you got me thinking šŸ˜„

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

That sounds rather gremlin-y.....Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
StinkyBunny

Yep, those guys and Cleaner wrasses make a mucous cocoon to sleep in. The larger wrasses are the ones that bury themselves. I keep several bins in the coral runs for the big guys. I have 7 Blue Star wrasses in one run and instead of the assholes spreading out to the other bins they all sleep in one little bin of sand, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yep, those guys and Cleaner wrasses make a mucous cocoon to sleep in. The larger wrasses are the ones that bury themselves. I keep several bins in the coral runs for the big guys. I have 7 Blue Star wrasses in one run and instead of the assholes spreading out to the other bins they all sleep in one little bin of sand, lol.

lol they never do what you expect of them.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Can I just say that evaporation in an air conditioned room is absolutely insane?!?! Since it's been hotter than hell up here lately we've had the ac's on for a while. Well, that water evaporates faster than I had thought it would. So yesterday it was nice so we had the windows open and I didn't loose any water lol. Granted, it was 80 in the house when I got home lol.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Can I just say that evaporation in an air conditioned room is absolutely insane?!?! Since it's been hotter than hell up here lately we've had the ac's on for a while. Well, that water evaporates faster than I had thought it would. So yesterday it was nice so we had the windows open and I didn't loose any water lol. Granted, it was 80 in the house when I got home lol.

Most likely because the AC acts as a dehumidifier so your evaporation will increase due to the low humidity in the room. With no AC on you'll have "normal" Evaporation as you have "normal" Humidity levels

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Most likely because the AC acts as a dehumidifier so your evaporation will increase due to the low humidity in the room. With no AC on you'll have "normal" Evaporation as you have "normal" Humidity levels

Ahh good point. I never thought about it like that. My tanks have always been in my basement...it's a finished basement/man cave and it's always stuffy down there in the summer so evaporation wasn't much.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well I just bought my first gorgonian. Not sure what kind it is and it should be photosynthetic. My lfs said they don't buy nps ones unless they are requested. This is my second choice because the one I really wanted someone bought it while I was looking around šŸ˜’. It's what I get for not jumping on the purchase. Who would have thought someone would've snatched it up that quick. Oh well, this one is nice looking too.

IMG_20190811_154126.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Gorgonians like flow right?? That's what I've read. Hope I don't have to move it. Here are two views, what do you guys think of the placement?

IMG_20190811_160936.jpg

IMG_20190811_160946.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Gorgonians like flow right?? That's what I've read. Hope I don't have to move it. Here are two views, what do you guys think of the placement?

IMG_20190811_160936.jpg

IMG_20190811_160946.jpg

I have an NPS red and white gorg- itā€™s moody. And they list them as expert only on a few sites Iā€™ve see. But they supposedly need good flow to prevent algae buildup on their body and limbs. Iā€™ve moved it a few times and then noticed that it opens up at random times when Iā€™m not watching šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø.Ā 

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

I have an NPS red and white gorg- itā€™s moody. And they list them as expert only on a few sites Iā€™ve see. But they supposedly need good flow to prevent algae buildup on their body and limbs. Iā€™ve moved it a few times and then noticed that it opens up at random times when Iā€™m not watching šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø.Ā 

I'm gonna see if the polyps come out. They were opening in the bag before I took it out. Fingers crossed. It's definitely swaying lol. Worst case I move the kps over a few inches and see what happens. The kps is set to a very random flow so the intensity varies all day.Ā 

We shall see soon enoughĀ šŸ˜„Ā 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm gonna see if the polyps come out. They were opening in the bag before I took it out. Fingers crossed. It's definitely swaying lol. Worst case I move the kps over a few inches and see what happens. The kps is set to a very random flow so the intensity varies all day.Ā 

We shall see soon enoughĀ šŸ˜„Ā 

Good luck- I feel like mine waits for me to turn my back or the lights to go out. I find it fully bloomed at 5am all the time. I donā€™t make that hour of the day a prime tank watching time...

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well it looks like the gorg is enjoying the flow. I'm getting PE already so I'm happy with that. I may have a new addiction lol. I was gonna buy an acro today, but the guy that I always talk to at my LFS said he'd rather me wait another 3-4 months on one because this tank is so new. I appreciate that he didn't want to see my waste my money and have it die on me. He said to keep up the good work with my monti's and use that as a gauge. He said that as long as i'm seeing growth on them I'm on the right track and so far I've noticed a small growth spurtĀ šŸ˜€.

1 minute ago, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

Good luck- I feel like mine waits for me to turn my back or the lights to go out. I find it fully bloomed at 5am all the time. I donā€™t make that hour of the day a prime tank watching time...

Yeah that's a bit early.. I wonder if that's when it feeds?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well it looks like the gorg is enjoying the flow. I'm getting PE already so I'm happy with that. I may have a new addiction lol. I was gonna buy an acro today, but the guy that I always talk to at my LFS said he'd rather me wait another 3-4 months on one because this tank is so new. I appreciate that he didn't want to see my waste my money and have it die on me. He said to keep up the good work with my monti's and use that as a gauge. He said that as long as i'm seeing growth on them I'm on the right track and so far I've noticed a small growth spurtĀ šŸ˜€.

Thatā€™s a very good thing. My LFS people have been a lot nicer lately, I guess I passed some magical monetary mark for them. But we still arenā€™t to a place where theyā€™re my buds or they give me truly candid advice. Theyā€™d sell me anything at this point and let me struggle to keep it alive. If I didnā€™t have @StinkyBunnyĀ and @WV ReeferĀ trying to keep me honest thereā€™s no doubt my tank would be a puddle of goo by now.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 minutes ago, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

Thatā€™s a very good thing. My LFS people have been a lot nicer lately, I guess I passed some magical monetary mark for them. But we still arenā€™t to a place where theyā€™re my buds or they give me truly candid advice. Theyā€™d sell me anything at this point and let me struggle to keep it alive. If I didnā€™t have @StinkyBunnyĀ and @WV ReeferĀ trying to keep me honest thereā€™s no doubt my tank would be a puddle of goo by now.

Katie and I were talking about that on the way home. I've heard them give great advice to people. On many occasions they have told people various things that are super helpful. It's probably the only place that has happened. I drive about 40 mins to that place because of how helpful they are. It's nice to go to a place and know you are getting some solid advice. This place has given me so much knowledge that when I go to random stores and here how they talk to customers it clicks and I know they are only there to take peoples money regardless. So I look around and then leave without supporting them. I know if i would have gone anywhere else, i'm sure they would've said " yeah get that acro, it'll be fine" even though it probably would've died on me.Ā 

Just a thought, sorry for the random ass long post lol.Ā Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

About 20 minutes after you turn off the lights, turn off the wave generators and wait till the polyps come out and feed them.

Ā 

What you have to remember is a shop is in business to make as much as they can on a sale, it's that simple. They don't give a shit if you're sticking it in the sump because you're out of room, flipping stock is the name of the game. That's a big reason why I only do retail sales at the shop 3 days a month, that and I really don't like stupid people that much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well here are a few more shots. It's basically fully extended now. You can see full PE on the montipora in the background šŸ™‚

IMG_20190811_183623_527.jpg

IMG_20190811_183623_522.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

About 20 minutes after you turn off the lights, turn off the wave generators and wait till the polyps come out and feed them.

Ā 

What you have to remember is a shop is in business to make as much as they can on a sale, it's that simple. They don't give a shit if you're sticking it in the sump because you're out of room, flipping stock is the name of the game. That's a big reason why I only do retail sales at the shop 3 days a month, that and I really don't like stupid people that much.

True I get that about the retail. Only thing is that LFS chick once told me flat out to my face she'd sell me anything in her shop while subconsciously screaming she thinks I'm a livestock murdering dumbass. I didn't appreciate that because if you want to tell me something, you can tell me flat out. I don't learn via telepathy very well. And I want to LEARN this stuff, so don't treat me like I'm too stupid to get it. She turns around and treats my husband like he's awesome--I swear she likes dealing with men far more than women and it shows. At any rate they've gotten a LOT more civil and patient since I haven't had a major tank crash.Ā 

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well here's a photo dump with the orange filter on šŸ¤£. Everything is looking amazing tonight so why not share with you guys.

IMG_20190811_185812_740.jpg

IMG_20190811_185812_742.jpg

IMG_20190811_185812_752.jpg

IMG_20190811_185812_779.jpg

IMG_20190811_185812_782.jpg

IMG_20190811_185812_780.jpg

IMG_20190811_185812_792.jpg

IMG_20190811_185550.jpg

IMG_20190811_185534.jpg

IMG_20190811_185526.jpg

IMG_20190811_185518.jpg

• Like 4